In a couple of weeks I will have around £400. Now, i'm looking to buy some effects and start getting into recording my own material. I currently have an Ibanez RG350MDX running through a Peavey Classic 30. The only pedal i have at the moment is a Boss MT-2 Metalzone which is absolutely terrible.

I've been looking at the Boss GT-10 and like the array of effects it offers and ability to record via USB. However i thought id get some opinions first as to whether a collection of individual pedals would be better in the long term.

What should I go for?
Individual pedals are always better in the long run but can your budget handle it? I mean, getting cheap stompboxes will be worse than a pricey multi FX unit.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Depends. I'm finding my POD is as good or better then most pedals under $100. Get into the $150 $200 range for a pedal and it's no contest. For the price of some of these better multi's they really aren't bad deals. But i have 2 pedals that exceed the price of my POD combined. You get what you pay for.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
The GT10 is a great unit for effects if thats all you are gonna use it for go for it.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
It all depends on what effects your going to be using. As for pedals vs multi effects, you can't. They both have there benefits, and each is good in certain situations.
ok, sorry, but i think we've all over looked something here...

what kinda' quality are you planning to get out of your recordings, "major release" or just "to help you remember how you played that solo on that one song"? i ask because you mentioned recording through the gt10's usb port, and if you're looking for quality, then sorry dude, but i gotta shoot you down on that one... but just for the sake of getting your ideas down, it'd be fine.

the FX quality on the gt is not great, but a good value for the sheer number of fx it offers. are you completely sold on boss' multi, or are you also considering other makers?
Quote by GrisKy

The FX quality on the gt is not great, but a good value for the sheer number of fx it offers. are you completely sold on boss' multi, or are you also considering other makers?

Oh i have no problem with other makes, to be honest Im clueless about most gear which is why i always ask on here first. Any suggestions are great thanks.
Quote by GrisKy
ok, sorry, but i think we've all over looked something here...

what kinda' quality are you planning to get out of your recordings, "major release" or just "to help you remember how you played that solo on that one song"? i ask because you mentioned recording through the gt10's usb port, and if you're looking for quality, then sorry dude, but i gotta shoot you down on that one... but just for the sake of getting your ideas down, it'd be fine.

the FX quality on the gt is not great, but a good value for the sheer number of fx it offers. are you completely sold on boss' multi, or are you also considering other makers?

this isnt really a problem as if he decides to record something a little higher quality he can just throw it though the stereo outputs and buy a decent capture card for his computer or whatever. The usb is for quick stuff its nice and easy but the main thing i use the usb for is for making more complex fx loops. The 1/4" outs are much better for sound quality

Also since im a gt 10 fanboi to the soul.... what do you mean the quality isnt that great, my roomate has a few pedals and the ones ive compared to the models in the gt 10 are spot on. Now they arent boutique quality 500 dollar fuzz pedals by any means but for his price range you gotta make some concessions.
~Defiant~
Last edited by Aurex at Aug 9, 2009,
The real question should be;

What sound/genre will you be writing and recording, and what effects are you looking for?

Mike
what you said is pretty much exactly what I meant...
only looking at multi's, I'd give the sound quality award to Line6, particularly the original floor POD, as the later models have been poor comparisons to the original (though I hear good things from the new Vox unit). boss/roland's floor-based fx are sterile substitutes, as are digitech's.
and there are rare occasions when an individual pedal does NOT surpass the quality of a multi, but again, we're talking value here, so as you said, concessions must be made.
Line 6 Pod X3 Live

To me it was hands down better than the GT-10.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
The beat decision i've made with regards to my rig was get rid of my me50 and get stompboxes.
I gotta go with the original floor POD... way better than the X3... which is way better than any of the boss models... which are for the most part only slightly better than their digitech equivalents.