I did my searches and I found some answers, but very mixed ones as well... So I'll just make my own thread and hope I can find some help that would directly apply to what I'm looking for.

I got a 5 String Bass and I need new strings. I play Metal and will usually have it dropped a half step, sometimes even 1.5 steps. I've been reading around and I've noticed that Flatwound strings would be best. So what would you recommend? Everyone's been raving about RotoSounds, but I can't find any Flatwounds from them.

Thanks.
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
rotosound 66s and d'addario chromes are your best bets.

(edit: meant to say 77s)

they're flats but with a little more zing/zest to them.

i don't know what the reputation is for 5-string flat sets. i have heard of people using flats and then a single roundwound B string. i think it would sounds silly personally but ... there must be a practical reason for it. remember, flats are naturally higher tension so watch out. might need to make an adjustment.
#DTWD
http://www.rotosound.com/jazz77.html
http://www.rotosound.com/tru88.html
These are the two flat wound sets that come in 5 string options
Quote by primusfan
rotosound 66s and d'addario chromes are your best bets.

they're flats but with a little more zing/zest to them.

Aren't 66's roundwounds, but I also would recommend D'addario chromes
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Last edited by alternitivebass at Aug 9, 2009,
Does anyone around actually use flats for metal? I'd like to know how they work out.

Also gonna watch this thread cause i'm interested in tuning a 5 string to G C F A# D#.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Steve Harris from Iron Maiden uses flats. you can get an idea of what an aggressive finger technique sounds like with flats on a P-bass there.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
steve harris did. doubt it's the same metal. it's possible in any type of music. i've seen metal bass players playing with flats.
#DTWD
Honestly. I love flats--with the right EQ and playing "attack" you can get a great metal sound out of them. But I'd go for the Roto 77s over the 88s.

The 88s are great but more suited for an upright "thumpy" groove.
Quote by anarkee
Honestly. I love flats--with the right EQ and playing "attack" you can get a great metal sound out of them. But I'd go for the Roto 77s over the 88s.

The 88s are great but more suited for an upright "thumpy" groove.

my drummer's getting on my ass for the flats now. but that's just because he is all about convention and wanting us to sound like every other band.

i agree with you totally. just needed to vent.
#DTWD
I've always played with rounds due to the lower price, and the sound sort of grew on me. I'd like to try a set of flats but I can't afford them right now.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Quote by cal1
I've always played with rounds due to the lower price, and the sound sort of grew on me. I'd like to try a set of flats but I can't afford them right now.

on talkbass they're doing a pay it forward type thing. seeing as flats never go bad (and only get better), they send old sets of flats around to inquiring members to check out flats without having to spend the dough.

i'm sure we could start something like that on here if we wanted to.
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
my drummer's getting on my ass for the flats now. but that's just because he is all about convention and wanting us to sound like every other band.

i agree with you totally. just needed to vent.

See when MY drummer gets on my case, I sort that out by making him sleep on the couch

(My drummer is my husband btw...)
Quote by primusfan
seeing as flats never go bad (and only get better)

Wait, what? How do they not go bad? I never heard that before, this makes me tempted to get some.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Quote by anarkee
See when MY drummer gets on my case, I sort that out by making him sleep on the couch

(My drummer is my husband btw...)

being the woman in the relationship has never had this much creative control...
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Well the 77s don't come in a 5-String set... What am I supposed to do about that... Or do they?
Guitars
· Ibanez PF · Washburn WG-248 · Ibanez S520Ex
· Ibanez BTB455
· Schecter Studio 5
Amp & Accessories
· Peavey Valveking 212
· Carvin BX1200
· · TraceElliot 1028H
· · Custom 1x15 Eminence

· · Carvin BRX4.10
Viola~! http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RS775LD/

And to quote Brian Ferry.."Nothing lasts forever". But a good set of flatwounds lasts a pretty damn long time. My last set on the old fretless lasted about 18 months before I decided to do a setup on the bass and changed the strings. Remember James Jamerson used a set of Labella flats that he only changed when they broke.
Quote by bagpipemetal
Do they make flatwound guitar strings?

Yup.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.