Hey guys I am between these two guitars right now and I am not sure which to get. I know there are many varieties of each, but these are the fields I have narrowed it down to. Please help me make this difficult decision.
I'm sorry but this as about as different as two guitars will get.

Completely incomparable and entirely down to preference.
What amp do you have, what's your budget, what styles of music do you play?
I'm not even going to ASK what you play or what your budget is or what amp you have. Those guitars are so ridiculously different, it's not even funny. Here's what you're gonna do:

Go to the guitar store.
Play them both UNPLUGGED.
At this point, you should be 85% sure which one you like better.
Plug them into the amp you have, try again.
Plug them into the amp you want, try now.
At this point it will be painfully obvious which guitar is for you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
yea those are very different, but if you really want both go with a tele duluxe 72 reissue. it is a tele with humbuckers
with the tele you get more of a twangy sound

with the LP you get a much thicker sound

chose which tone you want and go with that guitar
Quote by toine
it's like comparing a cookie to a diaper, they have almost nothing in common
Nice analogy.

But yeah it'll all come down to which sound you prefer. I suggest you try both out.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
both do pop punk really well so it does make some sense. try em out man
MCR FAN 405

originally posted by diveright
for one does not simply walk in to a spinning propeller

Originally posted by BLToast
Buckethead is the meaning of awesome
Thanks for the advice guys and I know they're incredibly different that's why I asked for advice, but I will certainly go and try them at my local music store.
Quote by Gibson45
Thanks for the advice guys and I know they're incredibly different that's why I asked for advice, but I will certainly go and try them at my local music store.

Your sig says you need a Les Paul.

I used to own both. I sold the Telecaster. If your big thing is trying to do as much as possible with one guitar, I'd swap the pickups on a Les Paul to something with 4-conductors and install a coil tap. I used to play both guitars, until I got that done with the Paul. After that I just said, 'good enough!' and lost the Tele. Unless you're a huge fan of single coils, you'll find that the Les Paul (and similar PRS designs) are the most versatile guitars on the market. If you don't like the sound, it's the easiest to rewire it the way you like it.

Not neccessarily the best, or your most favourite, but the most versatile.

Edit: Erm, I mean your name says you need a Les Paul.
Last edited by jean_genie at Aug 9, 2009,
I've got a cheap little Les Paul Special II. It's kind of a piece of crap, but you can still tell it's a Les Paul. I've never actually played on a high quality LP, but I do know what they sound like.
The Telecaster, however, I have played. A friend of mine repairs guitars for a living. He owns the American Standard. I've played it a few times, and honestly, I've never held a guitar that felt that nice. It's just so natural-feeling for me.
But that's just me, and both are really great guitars. It's totally up to you. Check them both out.
Quote by britishsligean
i find the les paul is more versatile than a telecaster

I disagree. No guitar can go from twangy country to smooth blues as fast as a telecaster. While the Les Paul may be more well rounded than the telecaster, it does not have the versatility of a telecaster.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by bellamy_morello
with the tele you get more of a twangy sound

with the LP you get a much thicker sound

chose which tone you want and go with that guitar

This.

My tele is fantastic clean, its ok with distortion but hasn't got the low end or sustain that my Les Paul has.

I use each one half and half. They are totally different. Yeah, make sure you try each one first
My Gear:

2008 Squier Affinity Telecaster (Special Edition Butterscotch Blonde)
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Marshall MG15CD
Quote by al112987
I'm sorry but this as about as different as two guitars will get.

Completely incomparable and entirely down to preference.

I wouldn't say that... *nudge* *cough*Jimmy Page*/cough*

Also, I don't have but one HB guitar, so my tele is the closest thing to it. But when it comes down to cleans and other things, completely different. Well, they both had improvement models that involve adding an extra horn...
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
I wouldn't say that... *nudge* *cough*Jimmy Page*/cough*

Also, I don't have but one HB guitar, so my tele is the closest thing to it. But when it comes down to cleans and other things, completely different. Well, they both had improvement models that involve adding an extra horn...
Actually Jimmy Page proves my point exactly. I was saying that you can't compare between the two because they're so different, in the end, if one just prefers a telecaster, you just need a telecaster, and the same for a les paul. Page used both, and owned both and was able to utilize both guitars. The les paul was his main guitar, and he used the telecaster for tunes like Ten Years Gone, and songs where he just preferred the sound of his tele.

If you're talking the early Jeff Beck telecaster...

Page did a good job at getting a thicker, les paul like tone out of his telecaster, but in the end, it still sounded like a fuzzed out telecaster, not a les paul. Both do their things and really serve different purposes tonally.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 10, 2009,
Ive played both. This is like asking someone to pick a child to live and one to die, it cant be done, unless you hate one.

Tele's can play metal, LP's can too. Blues, country, Rock, its all the same. They just flat out SOUND different. Its not that one is more versitale than the other, its just what that versatility sounds like.

If you dont care about the sound yet, and cant make a decision, then Id say its all up to feel. I love the feel of a heavy guitar, and the Lp does that. The Tele is very well balanced, and feels light in my hands.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Yeah, what Jonny Ryan Mac said. I prefer tele's, just because of the smooth, open Fender neck.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by britishsligean
i find the les paul is more versatile than a telecaster

well, apples and pears really. Both fit into just about any style of music yet both will do each style of music very differently - however, the les paul's tone has more "body" to it which makes it better for jazz than a tele (of course, that's debateable as many people probably use teles for jazz to great effect), and the fatter tone is often more appropriate for heavier tones whereas teles with lots of distortion will give you a filthy, edgy growl which will be great for garage rock, punk, grunge etc, and the cleans will give instant-country twang (though a real gibson les paul has a bit of a twang too!) - but both could suffice for just about any style - it's all about what you as a guitarist can do with the guitar when it comes to these two classic solidbodies.

but it's not just the sound that's different - the scale length, the control layout, the construction, the neck profile.. the only things the tele and the les paul have in common are a single cutaway, and 6 strings.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.