Ok so I've been playing guitar for about five years now and I started out just playing acoustic. Now I have an Ibanez SZ and a Crate halfstack. I play a little bit of everything from Death Cab to RHCP to Opeth (my favorite band is Between the Buried & Me). I know I'm starting late with the whole pedal thing but I really know nothing about what's better than what.

So say you're going out to buy your first effects pedal set up...should I get a multi-effects pedal first so I can learn about all the different effects or what?

Also, is a preamp a good investment for my halfstack?
id sya get a normal and simple distortion pedal so you can leanr how to use it and be happy with your tone, my first effects pedal was a boss mt-2 (i got it as a gift) it was a metal distortion pedal and i had no idea how to use it. so keep it simple at first then get more complex later
Multi effects pedals are fun but not much on quality, start with some cheaper ones and work your way up to see what you like best. When I started buying stomp boxes I got a Digitech grunge a digitech x1 phaser, a ibanez weeping demon (wah) I had a multi effects pedal as well but that was given to me by a friend. I had a dod delay pedal an ibanez tube screamer, all kinds of random stuff.

Basically just start with something basic, some kind of overdrive or distortion and go from there.
Depending on what amp you have, you may want to invest in a new amp before you get pedals. This way, your pedals will sound better. Which model is your Crate?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I've always found that when using different pedals with a Crate amp it always has quite a processed and unatural sound, but then that might be your tone judging from the bands you said there, well, save from RHCP and Opeth. For ages I was very naive about pedals, ive gona thru and traded great pedals because I hated the sound, but that was because I was using a Marshall DFX amp.

But yeah, as bellamy_morello said, try some different distortions with your setup, see what fits best for you. Boss are good and simple, that'd probably be where you start off. If you're into delays etc. and if you're willing to fork out a limb for Line 6 Delay Modeler, do so.
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Last edited by Ticks & Leeches at Aug 9, 2009,
Thanks everybody. My Crate model is a BV120H by the way. Right now my plan is to spend some time with my friends Weeping Demon pedal and DigiTech distortion pedal and see what I like.

Does anyone have suggestions for a decent delay pedal under $200?
Last edited by Trivium! at Aug 9, 2009,
That's a pretty good amp to run pedals through. I would start with some rather "essential" effects first, such as a Wah, Overdrive, Chorus, Delay, and maybe a 10-band EQ. As far as my experience goes, good wah pedals to look into are Dunlop Crybabies and Vox V847A's. For an overdrive, I would suggest a Digitech Bad Monkey. It will boost the front end of your amp nicely and tighten up the sound with distortion. I'm not very knowledgeable about chorus and delay, so I'll let someone else handle that. However, for an EQ, try MXR's out.

EDIT: For a delay, I actually remember playing through an MXR Carbon Copy. I thought it was excellent. For $150, you might wanna check that out. Also, the Hardwire DL-8 is meant to be really nice, but I've never tried one. It's about the same price.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Last edited by ibz_bucket at Aug 9, 2009,
Ok, is there anything you WANT first, instead of going out and buying a bunch of pedals you might not need? And is there anything about your tone that you don't like?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
I would prefer a delay pedal with a tap tempo. Before I purchased my halfstack I had a Line 6 Spider 2 amp with a delay and some effects on it like 3 kinds of delay, a tremelo, chorus, and flanger on it, so those are kind of the effects that i feel like I'm missing now.
try to find obscure, cheap pedals. find the used section of your local guitar shop, that's a good place to start. another benefit is that they're usually cheaper, too. i found a mint condition MXR flanger for $100 at my guitar store. No one bought it for months, then they lowered it to $80. it still hasn't sold yet, so i may go get it.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
The line 6 echo park is a good way to start, much more features than the Boss delay, although the Boss pedal has a much warmer delay tone
MySpace Profile
If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Quote by Ticks & Leeches
The line 6 echo park is a good way to start

Yes

Quote by Ticks & Leeches
much more features than the Boss delay

yes

Quote by Ticks & Leeches
although the Boss pedal has a much warmer delay tone

bull****.

The Echo Park is a bit noisy though so an isolated power supply would be nice.
Used, they go for like $60 to $80.
The tape delay is ****ing brilliant and i can't get enough of it.

Quote by Trivium!
Death Cab to RHCP to Opeth

I like your style.
Well, I think i was using different amps when trying both those delays out. But yes, I don't ever use anything but the tape echo on the echo park
MySpace Profile

overdrive for the brutal ****. Then a noise gate/suppressor because OD + amp OD=High ass brutalness + noise.

Then a tuner pedal, chorus, phaser/flanger, delay, wah.

My ideal setup: Ibanez TS-9, MXR Stereo Chorus, Boss DD-3, MXR Flanger modded with momentary switch, morley bad horsie 2
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
So do distortion pedals pretty much always sound better than just the raw distortion setting on amps? Because to be honest I'm pretty happy with how my distortion sounds at the moment, although I haven't really been exposed to how it would sound with a distortion pedal...
I think it depends on what amp you have. I have a crappy line 6 spider iii, the clean is fine but the crunch blows when cranked. So my mxr classic distortion really improves it. Another thing about pedals is that you can go from clean to distortion quickly ( which helps if your in a band like me )
If you're happy with your amp's distortion, then heck no-- theres no reason to fix something that's not broken. Though for the most part, a cheap solid states distortion will sound terrible compared to a pedal, wheras that same pedal can sound terrible compared to the built in distortion of a $2000 dollar amp.

Delay, I'm a huge fan of the Line 6 DL4- its got an incredible amount of sounds and ideas-- not to mention the looping function totally reignited my love for playing.

Pre amp, no, the only common use for these is when you have separate units for pre amp and power amp. Your head already has a pre amp.

Multi FX can be lots of fun, I recommend going to Guitar Center or the equivalent and trying a couple out- Personally I like the Line 6 M13, which is pretty much a DL4, MM4, FM4, DM4, looper, and some other effects combined. I like it because it's easier to tweak settings than most Multi FX, and it can essentially be more like 12 stompboxes on your pedalboard than a bunch of packaged sounds.