Gday,

I was in a guitar store the other day and I heard a guy talking about how a bolt on neck is better for a floyd rose system, rather than a one piece neck.

Does anyone know if this is true and why?
not true many guitars that are set necks and neck through body have floyed roses, they might be thinking of something like a gibson neck which is prone to snapping and with a floyed rose is more liable to happen than on a bolt on neck that has a similat deign to that of fenders.
thru necks are almost always better for guitars. The only advantages to a bolt on are the cost and the fact that if they break, you can easily replace it.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
^ what? no they aren't. They sound and feel different, not better.

you mean a neck-thru? I dunno. Maybe there's more stress on the neck-thru with heavy floyd use or something, but you can have a neck-thru which is laminated to increase the strength.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Because unless the neck-through is made of one of a small number of species of wood, and the wood is very, very high grade, a good bolt-on will sustain better and so help counter the fact that Floyds murder sustain like nothing else (well, except a Stetsbar).

It's also healthier for the guitar, as the bolt-on join can absorb some of the pressure generated by a vibrato bridge while on a neck-through, over time you may find warping starts to occur, and that's far harder to rectify on a neck-through guitar.

In fact in general neck-through is a terrible idea unless it is done in a very, very specific way, and even then a very good bolt-on join will be better.

Quote by Dave_Mc
but you can have a neck-thru which is laminated to increase the strength.
This is true, but then that will kill the sustain even more and wreck the tone and response of the guitar.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Last edited by MrFlibble at Aug 9, 2009,
naa the most that happens is cracks in the finish where the joint is made at least on set necks, neck through will have the floyd attached to the same piece of wood as the fret board. I have had a couple guitars a Ibanez and a jackson where the bolt on necks started stripping and tearing out the wood though.
Quote by MrFlibble

This is true, but then that will kill the sustain even more and wreck the tone and response of the guitar.

eh, i dunno, my legra sounds pretty darn good. Granted it's my metal guitar, though, so it's not really setup for the type of vintage tones where you'd really hear the qualities of the wood etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This sounds like one of these things that some crazy famous guitar player would do because theoretically, It will sound better, but the difference is so infinitesimal that it's pointless.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
eric johnson doesn't use floyds...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know if you mean neck-through instead of one piece, but a one piece neck isn't the joint type, it's the neck construction.

Many necks these days are quartersawn or laminated, as Dave said, for strength. A one-piece neck is one piece of wood cut to the neck shape without any laminations or reinforcement modifications. Not many companies still do a one-piece neck without any reinforcement stripes because the reinforcement makes it less prone to warping with the added resistance, which may be what the guy was referring to.
Sorry, I did mean neck thru. Not sure why I said one piece... been looking up too much guitar stuff lately!
My .02 - The one Floyd Rose equipped guitar I have is a neck-thru and I don't imagine I'll have any problems with it, as it is a fairly high quality guitar. I could however see a bolt-on FR guitar developing neck joint stress cracks sooner than a hardtail equivalent. Just something that tends to happen to bolt-ons as it is, and I imagine a well used FR would only expedite the process.
I doubt Floyds can't be used with a certain neck type. I've seen them on basically any neck joint type. Take Kirk Hammett's guitars, for example. They're generally neck-through and have Floyds. He's doing fine, I believe.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by The Red Comet
I doubt Floyds can't be used with a certain neck type. I've seen them on basically any neck joint type. Take Kirk Hammett's guitars, for example. They're generally neck-through and have Floyds. He's doing fine, I believe.
Yes, but he'd have enough money to buy as many replacements as he'd need