Hey.

I'm Tom and I'm looking to buy a new amp. A new guitar as well actually, but I'll focus on the amp here. The problem here is, I don't know anything about amps.

I'm looking to spend about €300-€400 on my amp. According to google that's about $425,10 to $566,80. These figures are an indication. I might suck it up and save up for something more expensive if it makes a big difference.

It's basically a jungle for me. There's too much choice, and I really don't know what to look for. I tried a Roland cube 80X amp, and thought it sounded pretty good, but a friend of mine who's been in a regionally successful band for quite some time said it was absolute crap, and in no way even possible to use that for gigs.

I'd really like to start gigging soon. Is it even possible to get a gig-worthy amp for that kind of money? That would really be a big thing for me. If it's not, I'd probably wait and save up.

Also, how much difference is there in the quality of a combo and a half stack? I realise this is a pretty vague question, as there are obviously crap combo's and quality combo's, and the same would go for half stacks. Most half stacks are probably way out of my prize range, but I did see some second hand ones that I could afford, and like I said, I might save up some more if I have to.

As for the sound, I would like it to sound kind of Alter Bridge-ish. I think their tone is amazing.

Anyway, please inform me, comfort me, confront me and laugh at me. I'll be waiting.

Peace.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
wow that is a first ive never heard anyone ask for an alter bridge sound before. but doesnt tremonti use mesa which are awesome amps but super expensive
No offence, but your friend is talking crap. The 80x is definitely gig-worthy, and you can get a huge range of tones out of it.
look at something like a blackstar ht-5, laney vc15 or orange ad5 if you are prepared to look used have a look for a vox ac15
Mesa's and Prs. Thats an expensive tone to go for. your talking like 6-8 grand american for that...

Half stacks arent really necessary unless your talking big outdoor festivals or stadiums. Miking a combo would do just fine in those situations anyway. Saving cant hurt but you need to try stuff and see what you like not depend on what we say.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
You may want to look into Bugera amps. They have had some reliability issues in the past, but apparently those are fixed now. Peavey Valvekings are also decent, especially once they are modded a little bit. If you're going for versatility, I'd recommend a Line 6 Flextone III or a Peavey Vypyr Tube.

Go to a guitar store, and try out amps below, above, and in your price range. This will help you develop an ear for tone, and also help you figure out what you want to buy. My suggestions are only a starting point. Also, if at all possible, it helps to go used. In most cases, you find a product that functions perfectly, but for half or 3/4ths of the price of the same product new.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
your best bet would be a marshall since you live in europe those are probably the easiest amps to get a hold of there. i would say look at maybe a marshall Haze amp head then save up for a cabinet to accompany it. If you really want an alter bridge tone you would have to save up for a Mesa Dual or Triple Rectifier head, which would run you around $1,600 US. good luck with getting some gear.

Epi LP Custom EMGs
ESP H-1000
Schecter Elite 7
Jackson Dominion
Peavey Valveking Head
Jet City JCA24s
Blackstar HT20 & HTV212
MXR Pedals
Schecter Stiletto Custom
Schecter Stiletto Studio
Fender Vintage Modified
Ampeg B2RE
Fender 4x10 Cab
hey try looking at a peavey valveking 100 watt head, i recently got one and i'm loving it right now. its about 550 in american dollars. It's a very versatile amp, it's all tube, and it's not over expensive either.
Dean Dime-o-flage
Line 6 spider III 30 watt
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Seymour Duncan Dimebucker
Seymour Duncan Invader
Quote by rkp1992
wow that is a first ive never heard anyone ask for an alter bridge sound before. but doesnt tremonti use mesa which are awesome amps but super expensive

Yeah I remember seeing his DVD, and he uses two amps to get an extra super big distortion sound, or something like that. Can't remember what they're called though because at the time I didn't realise that info might some day be relevant

Quote by cornmancer
Would you mind pointing me towards a youtube video that represents their tone really well.

For some reason it's impossible to find a live video of them on youtube that does them justice, but I think the studio version of Wayward One would give you a good idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAykvmjzh8U

Quote by TechnoLp
Mesa's and Prs. Thats an expensive tone to go for. your talking like 6-8 grand american for that...

Half stacks arent really necessary unless your talking big outdoor festivals or stadiums. Miking a combo would do just fine in those situations anyway. Saving cant hurt but you need to try stuff and see what you like not depend on what we say.

6-8 grand = Holy sacred crap.
And unless my life takes a really crazy turn, I won't be playing any stadiums any time soon so I guess a combo that's able to kind of model that sound should do fine.

If my life does take a crazy turn like that, I'll just have to pray I'll either have an endorsement or a lot of cash.

And lots of thanks for the quick replies and recommendations everyone. I'll (try to) look in to all of those.
Thomas hopes to not have offended anyone with this post. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any spelling or grammar mistakes, should there be any.

last.fm
You're after a very good, and hard to get, tone my friend.

Best advice so far is:
Quote by ibz_bucket
You may want to look into Bugera amps. They have had some reliability issues in the past, but apparently those are fixed now. Peavey Valvekings are also decent, especially once they are modded a little bit. If you're going for versatility, I'd recommend a Line 6 Flextone III or a Peavey Vypyr Tube.

Go to a guitar store, and try out amps below, above, and in your price range. This will help you develop an ear for tone, and also help you figure out what you want to buy. My suggestions are only a starting point. Also, if at all possible, it helps to go used. In most cases, you find a product that functions perfectly, but for half or 3/4ths of the price of the same product new.

Used is your best bet, and going to music shops with your guitar, explaining your situation and just going in (with your educated friend if he can come!) and testing out sounds to see what you like is definately a good ear training, and picking a good amp out that suits you personally.
A Bugera would suit you in tones generally speaking, but might be a bit big in volume/wattage, but there's not that much of a problem having that extra headroom you can use if you need it I suppose!
Well he needs a Mesa type tone and aren't B-52 amps referred to around here as the poor man's mesa?
Quote by KingJustinian25
Well he needs a Mesa type tone and aren't B-52 amps referred to around here as the poor man's mesa?

I've heard that, but I'm from the UK and I've never encountered a B-52 here, but surely with the title it should be a good idea to check em out!
Quote by KingJustinian25

What are B-52 amps? Is it a brand or a type of amp? According to their sites, my local retailers don't have them...
I did some online research on Bugera amps, and I hear good stories, but again I can't find a retailer who has them.

last.fm