This is gonna sound a bit noobish but iv been playing bass for rughly 3 years but i must say i had to learn a lot on my own because i stoped my lessons coz i couldnt keep paying for them so i though stuff it ill do it myself and i have but...

I still need to now about some stuff,

Could someone tell me what to look for in buying new strings?

And also about how to tune into different keys like C or whatever coz i know B flat and E but i dun have a clue about anything else

Again dont think im a shizzing bassist coz im not. I feel a little silly about posting this after 3 YEARS but i dont have choice i need to learn more "technikal shiz" if im gonna be taken seriously as a bass player.
Current bass: Sterling music man ray 34! and RBX 374 Yamaha bass
Last edited by Samurai bassist at Aug 9, 2009,
Just a suggestion, very few will take you seriously when you write the way you do. Learn to spell and write correctly and you will find better results.
Strings are personal choice along with looking at the quality brands. Brands to look at would be (imo) in no order:
-ernie ball
-elixir
-rotosound
-d'addario
Another choice to make is between flat wound and round wounds (and tape wounds, but apparantly no-one likes them )

As for tunings, what do you tune to now? If it helps, I can play most things in 5 string standard (BEADG)

Quote by siksofus
Just a suggestion, very few will take you seriously when you write the way you do. Learn to spell and write correctly and you will find better results.

and this.
It was a bit hard to read
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by siksofus

Can you understand what he's written? Yes? Then that's all that matters. I refuse to have any grammar Nazi stuff in this part of the forum. If you aren't going to answer his question, but instead tell him to get English lessons, don't bother posting.

TS, looking at strings is almost the same as the instrument itself- tone, feel, price.
Quote by siksofus

Yes i know my spelling sux always has always will so yh i will try and watch it thanx.
If I'm not mistaken Eb is generally the lowest key played in, so changing the key is simply playing in a different area of the fretboard (if I'm wrong here, someone correct me, but I have a VERY limited knowelage of theory).

As to strings, it's all personal preferance.

Also, using proper english will get your better responses in general
Quote by gilly_90
Strings are personal choice along with looking at the quality brands. Brands to look at would be (imo) in no order:
-ernie ball
-elixir
-rotosound
-d'addario
Another choice to make is between flat wound and round wounds (and tape wounds, but apparantly no-one likes them )

As for tunings, what do you tune to now? If it helps, I can play most things in 5 string standard (BEADG)

and this.
It was a bit hard to read

Well i just use plain E but the band members want to do a lot of songs with different keys (luckally i havnt had to yet) but im just curious to be honist.
Oh and i forgot... this will be the first time in three years i need to change my strings so i dont know what to look for.
um you could play in the key of c with any tuning....
Im just going to assum you mean c standard which would be C G Bb Eb
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by TechnoLp
um you could play in the key of c with any tuning....
Im just going to assum you mean c standard which would be C G Bb Eb

To be honist i dont know what i mean.
Quote by higgins666
If I'm not mistaken Eb is generally the lowest key played in, so changing the key is simply playing in a different area of the fretboard (if I'm wrong here, someone correct me, but I have a VERY limited knowelage of theory).

As to strings, it's all personal preferance.

Also, using proper english will get your better responses in general

I think he's talking about tuning,like drop C and D standard,which I know nothing about.
E standard:
E A D G

Eb/D# standard:
Eb Ab Db Gb

D standard:
D G C F

Db/C# standard:
Db Gb Cb(B) Fb

C standard:
C F Bb Eb

B standard:
B E A D

If that helps?
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Last edited by gilly_90 at Aug 10, 2009,
Oh and seen as we are all here i wanted to know, what do you all think of the RBX 374 yamaha bass?
you lot gotten bored of me already? that was fast.
Looking at specifications and reviews the RBX 374 seems like a pretty good bass. There are some more different basses that can be bought for it's $300 price that though. Like the Squier Vintage Modified, Ibanez SR300 or Peavy Millennium. All which have gotten good reviews and have been played by me and I think were pretty good.