I'm basically just hoping this time, I'll find one I'm satisfied with.

So, two options, with other recommendations welcome. Just try to keep it around the price range of these two.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Devi-Ever-Hyperion-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal?sku=500668

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guyatone-TZ2-The-Fuzz-Effects-Pedal?sku=155001

The Guyatone is supposed to be reminiscent of, but NOT an exact clone of, the Univox Superfuzz, thick and sawtooth with some octave elements.

The Devi is described as a "muff killer" in the info, seems to be sorta smooth like a muff is but can get intense and ragged the higher you drive it.

Basically just looking for whatever might be most useful overall. For jamming with other people or for my own developing band (sorta psychedelic/prog/experimental rock), which from the looks of things I'll be the only electric guitarist in.

Other pedals are BBE Soul Vibe > Boss OD-1 > Ibanez DE-7. Will be using P-90s and Fender single coil equipped guitars.

Thoughts are most welcome.

Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Fulltone Catalyst is very versitile if you are looking for 'usefulness'. It can basicly double up as a distortion unit too at lower gain and even a clean boost apparently. But then again it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of fuzz as the other too and doesn't really do the wacky stuff for psychedelic stuff. Looking at your genres i'd say go for the Guyatone - that's if all you really want/need is a fuzz pedal

EDIT: Maybe a fuzz facotry to do all the really crazy stuff?
I like Beans.

Quote by Hypnotisation
Throw away old strings? Are you kidding me? They're the only thing that can strangle unicorns!

BE AFRAID OF THE MODIFIED BEAR!

I know I am
Quote by chordios
Fulltone Catalyst is very versitile if you are looking for 'usefulness'. It can basicly double up as a distortion unit too at lower gain and even a clean boost apparently. But then again it doesn't have anywhere near the amount of fuzz as the other too and doesn't really do the wacky stuff for psychedelic stuff. Looking at your genres i'd say go for the Guyatone - that's if all you really want/need is a fuzz pedal

EDIT: Maybe a fuzz facotry to do all the really crazy stuff?

Heh. I definitely have a hunch I'll end up with a Fuzz Factory or Mastotron at some point. But for now, I'm deciding against it.

And yeah, just a fuzz is all I want. I've got my OD-1 for my lower-gain rhythm stuff and smoother sounds. I just kinda worry the Guyatone is a bit TOO weird for playing with other people.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
You could check out the fuzz in my sig. its a little more traditional though
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
It really depends on what you want.

Muff-style fuzzes will be slightly mid-scooped, heavy, and dark.

The Hyperion would be a good choice. Also, check out the Aenima. For muff style fuzzes, a used Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz would be a great choice.
Quote by Mitchell?
It really depends on what you want.

Muff-style fuzzes will be slightly mid-scooped, heavy, and dark.

The Hyperion would be a good choice. Also, check out the Aenima. For muff style fuzzes, a used Blackout Effectors Musket Fuzz would be a great choice.

My thing is, mainly, is that I seem not to agree with most Muff-style fuzzes. I mean, I tried out a Swollen Pickle pretty extensively in Guitar Center when they had it on the cheap, and I didn't bond with it at all: if there's a muff more muffy than that, I dunno what it would be. You could argue the Hyperion is kinda muff-ish too, but there seems to be an extra element of crazy there that's drawing me in.

The Aenima isn't so appealing due to the way it generates feedback. That's not so much my thing. The Soda Meiser was the other Devi that caught my eye, but Musiciansfriend seem not to carry them.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Aug 9, 2009,
I know people that don't like the Swollen Pickle, but like Muff's, so don't give up on muff's.

Also, I think the Cherry Pop is supposed to be a Soda Meiser with a tone knob.
Quote by Mitchell?
I know people that don't like the Swollen Pickle, but like Muff's, so don't give up on muff's.

Also, I think the Cherry Pop is supposed to be a Soda Meiser with a tone knob.

Hm. Now THAT I was not aware of....little bit more than I'd like to pay, though, honestly.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Last edited by Wulver at Aug 9, 2009,
I AM leaning more Hyperion than anything else, honestly.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
you should also check out the seymour duncan tweak-fuzz. i got one off ebay for 40 bucks (100 new) and its a very versatile, great-sounding fuzz, especially for the price
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by Mitchell?

+1

Tried a Swollen Pickle (Dunlop reissue) at Guitar Center recently, didn't like it too much. Found it difficult to wrest a good sustaining lead from it, which I had no trouble doing with the Big Muff (and subsequently went on to buy said Big Muff).
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by phobiafreak949
you should also check out the seymour duncan tweak-fuzz. i got one off ebay for 40 bucks (100 new) and its a very versatile, great-sounding fuzz, especially for the price

Aha, well that's the coincidence, I'm selling the Tweak Fuzz I bought in a GC sale because it had no mids and just came across as too buzzy to me. No cut in a band situation.

Well, anyway, will hopefully go into GC again, hoping they have the Hyperion, but if not I'll try out some other stuff.

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay
I own a hyperion, its surprisingly useable for a Devi pedal, when you get past the half way point on the control though, it gets really scrambled. and lush.

I love it.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by Wulver
Aha, well that's the coincidence, I'm selling the Tweak Fuzz I bought in a GC sale because it had no mids and just came across as too buzzy to me. No cut in a band situation.

Well, anyway, will hopefully go into GC again, hoping they have the Hyperion, but if not I'll try out some other stuff.

true its not the smoothest fuzz, but it suits my needs just fine (i needed something really over-the-top), and for 40 bucks, i can't really complain
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals