I just bought an old harmony guitar to practice on and I took the pickguard off and since I want to convert it to a slide guitar, I was wondering how can I get more sustain from the pickups, what kind of mods can I make?
I ain't racist, but fuck black people! - Michael Richards

Nigga please - Al Sharpton

Nigga please - Me
pickups don't dictate the sustain of the guitar. the bridge is the one of the more influential things that have to do with the sustain of the guitar.
If the guitar has bad sustain to begin with, there's really nothing you can do to fix it.
Quote by oldspice56
pickups don't dictate the sustain of the guitar. the bridge is the one of the more influential things that have to do with the sustain of the guitar.

How powerful the magnets are affects the sustain. More powerful magnet means more pull on the strings, meaning they loose sustain. That's why active pickups generaly have better sustain: they have less powerful magnets in and less coils of wire around them, and then use a pre-amp to boost the signal
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by guitarcam123
you can make a sustainer: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=16984&st=80&#entry399810

Have a read through that thread, they're not to difficult to make

Hmmm...having spent the past few months working spare time on dabbling with Sustainers, I'd like to expand on that statement a little.

Firstly, a guitar sustainer in it's most simplest form *is* fairly easy to make...the most complicated part is making a driver ...actually, making a driver is not complicated per se, but making a decent looking one is! (& who wants something hacked from an old plastic mounted on their prized guitar?)

I now know whole heap of sh1t about sustainers...and believe me, if you build one to to the spec on that Project guitar link given, for all its relative simplicity you're likely to be disappointed.

why? because the circuit 'normally' used with the driver is a fetzer ruby ...which wasn't designed for a sustainer, but has been utilized as a 'suitable' circuit. The circuit will get you sustain, but the end result is a little disappointing. Any sustainer circuit worth its salt should have an automatic gain control circuit (AGC)...the fetzer ruby hasn't. The FR output chip is an LM386, which my own testing has illustrated that the LM386 isn't powerful enough to get decent predictable sustain across all strings (the two thinnest strings in particular need a fair amount of drive - the basic LM386 isn't really up to it, although the more powerful LM386-4 variant does have enough grunt)

Additionally, I have some reservations about the 'spec' of the driver coil used on that thread (ie 150 turns of 0.2mm wire, yielding 8 ohms). In my opinion you need more turns of significantly thicker wire, yet ultimately a lower DC resistance to get sufficient 'drive' when using a single 9V battery as the power source.

So, when referencing that thread...go into it with relatively low expectations, else you're likely to be unsatiisfied with the final results.
Last edited by HankMcSpank at Aug 10, 2009,
Or, if you only use one pickup, swap out the other(s) with a fernandes sustainer
Quote by pigeonmafia
How powerful the magnets are affects the sustain. More powerful magnet means more pull on the strings, meaning they loose sustain. That's why active pickups generaly have better sustain: they have less powerful magnets in and less coils of wire around them, and then use a pre-amp to boost the signal

i never bothered to find out if magnets affect the sustain, BUT using my layman's logic when it comes to things i find it difficult to believe that strings under a tension that can be measured by pounds of pressure can be affected by what is essentially not exactly a very powerful magnet.

sustain is more about the construction of the instrument, the materials used and how the instrument is put together and much less about the magnet in the pickup.
Quote by noisefarmer
i never bothered to find out if magnets affect the sustain, BUT using my layman's logic when it comes to things i find it difficult to believe that strings under a tension that can be measured by pounds of pressure can be affected by what is essentially not exactly a very powerful magnet.

sustain is more about the construction of the instrument, the materials used and how the instrument is put together and much less about the magnet in the pickup.

Well obviously its not a massive amount, but its noticeable.

Yes, construction is more important, but he was on about pickups.