Newbie alert, be gentle.

Hi all! Been looking at the build-your-own-guitar kits on The Music King site and they look pretty good and I'm thinking about getting one.

I was just wondering what the ultimate guitar group wisdom thinks of them, and if you have any advice, tips etc when it comes to actually building/painting/assembling them please lay it on me. Painting especially.

ALSO if you have any advice about staining necks/fretboards and good products/brands to use would also appreciate it a lot.

This thread is pretty all over the place, told you I was a newb.

Thanks in advance!
depends which one you're getting really. my friend got the PRS copy one and liked it, but you'll probably want to replace hardware/pickups
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
use the searchbar. look under saga kits because thats what those kits are.

check the ultimate threads for your other questions.
I'd recommend the GFS kits over the Saga ones, based on what I've heard around here.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
i wouldent be suprised if the GFS kits are better because they put there own hardware into them...
not sure tho, i just got mine from a supplyer (so who knows, saga/gfs might get them from where i got mine)
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Saga and GfS are 2 different kits! GFS are from China and saga are made in the USA. The kits on music king site are both china made and the USA saga kits.
Last edited by shawnsblues2 at Aug 9, 2009,
What are you trying to say?

Also, they're both Chinese hardware. GFS and Saga and every other kit besides Carvin are chinese parts.

BYOG(I think its this) And GFS aren't saga though, they dont use a sanding sealer on the wood.
Gear's : Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube | MicroCube | Noisy Cricket | Ibanez S470DXQM Blue Burst | Takamine EG440C
Pedals : MXR M-108 EQ | Digitech Bad Monkey, Sanpera I, GFS Tuner

Seref : Cali would put a health warning on celery if they could
I'd actually prefer the GFS without a sealer. Then you have more options.

TS, check out Carvin kits. They're really high quality.

The hardware might be from china in the saga kits but the kit itself is made in the USA in South San Fransisco, Ca. I have been to the plant. The kits are very well made! I have heard a lot of people say they don't go together good but I can attest the neck joint on mine was perfect. I had less than five minutes of setup time on the action and intonation. My action on the high E is set at .005 of an inch which is very low action and the thing plays like a dream. I have pics of my build here . My kit is still awaiting the finish and was only mocked up to make sure everything lined up good and it all went together perfect. No i am not saying that some kits don't have flaws it is with everything at one point there are mistakes, It doesn't matter what you buy at some point a bad one will come out of the run of parts or whatever but they take care of it very fast. And GFS are Chinese made! The sealer on the saga kits can be easily worked around you just have to tone your lacquer.
Last edited by shawnsblues2 at Aug 9, 2009,
YourLINK was broken
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
The GFS bodies/necks are done in the US as well, iirc.

Also, most kits work well if you have the patience. Saga's are usually disliked because of the hardware, but it's easy to swap out.

EDIT: You know, linking to your companies facebook page really makes it seem like you're advertising.

Last edited by bv310 at Aug 9, 2009,
The link is fixed. Also GFS are from China I have looked into purchasing them the only people who manufacture those kits are in china. I have dealt with many import companies and this is the only place that those are made I have looked trust me! I have 100's of hours researching where the best place to buy kits from. I have imported their samples and had a fried order a gfs kit just to reference it and guess what they were exactly the same kit right down to the packaging. And Thank you for checking out my kit progress!
Quote by shawnsblues2
Saga and GfS are 2 different kits! GFS are from China and saga are made in the USA. The kits on music king site are both china made and the USA saga kits.

no one said gfs kits and saga kits were the same.

Quote by Castiel
BYOG(I think its this) And GFS aren't saga though, they dont use a sanding sealer on the wood.

no one said gfs kits and saga kits were the same.
You know what? I'm not gonna argue with you. According to Jay at GFS, their bodies/necks are done in the US. I don't know or really care if he's lying, but that's what he told me when I emailed him.

I was just stating a point that they are different kits made in different places. I know they are not the same. The sealer is what everyone complains about. Call Stewmac and ask them the best way to apply the type of finish you want without taking the sealer off and they will tell you if you just ask!
^You're jumping all over the place here man. Paragraphs are your friend.

Quote by bv310
You know what? I'm not gonna argue with you. According to Jay at GFS, their bodies/necks are done in the US. I don't know or really care if he's lying, but that's what he told me when I emailed him.

I am not trying to argue with you! I have been in this business for a couple of years now. Our business revolves solely around guitar kits. So you must be right and I must be wrong. I guess if I was 18 again I would probably know it all too.
I am in now way advertising here! I was just making a point of showing my progress for you or whoever to see. That is not my facebook page anyway. So please have your facts together before you open your trap. I don't advertise on Ulitimate Guitar forum. I know people who do and its seems ok for them but I got warned a while back so I son't do it. If someone asks me about my kits that is one thing.
Quote by shawnsblues2
I am not trying to argue with you! I have been in this business for a couple of years now. Our business revolves solely around guitar kits. So you must be right and I must be wrong. I guess if I was 18 again I would probably know it all too.

Both of you please stop before heats up anymore. shawnsblues2, nobody cares if you've made guitars for 50 years, people are human, and humans make mistakes, same for you brock, who knows what they put in their ****ocasters, who cares?!
Quote by blindsagacity
depends which one you're getting really. my friend got the PRS copy one and liked it, but you'll probably want to replace hardware/pickups

I really like the look of the les paul one, but I'm not sure, possibly the strat.

Quote by noisefarmer
use the searchbar. look under saga kits because thats what those kits are.

check the ultimate threads for your other questions.

I did try and search but I couldn't find very much, but I've always been useless at forum searches. Only 2 of the ones in the link are by Saga though, most are by The Kit Company.

Quote by bv310
I'd recommend the GFS kits over the Saga ones, based on what I've heard around here.

Is GFS guitar fetish? I'm from the UK and can't seem to find a UK supplier for those kits, unfortunately.

Quote by bv310
TS, check out Carvin kits. They're really high quality.

The Carvin kits do look amazing, although by the sounds of things they're probably a bit out of my price range, and again I haven't found a UK supplier yet.

Thanks for all the replies so far! Try to play nice guys
Quote by AliJDB

I did try and search but I couldn't find very much, but I've always been useless at forum searches. Only 2 of the ones in the link are by Saga though, most are by The Kit Company.

look again. there seems to be 7 saga kits and i'd be willing to bet that their "brand" isn't much different from the saga kits. but they're cheap enough to get your feet wet before building something from warmoth.
Quote by shawnsblues2
I am in now way advertising here! I was just making a point of showing my progress for you or whoever to see. That is not my facebook page anyway. So please have your facts together before you open your trap. I don't advertise on Ulitimate Guitar forum. I know people who do and its seems ok for them but I got warned a while back so I son't do it. If someone asks me about my kits that is one thing.

Don't worry about it, man I was in a ****ty mood before.

TS, GFS (guitar fetish) ships worldwide, for pretty cheap. I'm Canadian, shipping here isn't all that bad.

Carvin, on the other hand, is very stingy on their exporting. I'll try to find their international one, I've seen it before.

EDIT: Found It! http://www.carvinworld.com/kits.php

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, that's not the kit builder.

Last edited by bv310 at Aug 9, 2009,
Quote by bv310
TS, GFS (guitar fetish) ships worldwide, for pretty cheap. I'm Canadian, shipping here isn't all that bad.

Carvin, on the other hand, is very stingy on their exporting. I'll try to find their international one, I've seen it before.

EDIT: Found It! http://www.carvinworld.com/kits.php

DOUBLE EDIT: Nevermind, that's not the kit builder.

The shipping from GFS to the UK is 60-80 dollars (£40ish) which almost doubles the cost, the shipping on the kits from The Music King is £5 :P. However because of the exchange rate the prices are pretty comparable with shipping included.

No pilot holes on the GFS kits though eek.

As for Carvin I had a look and its DEFINITELY out of my price range .

Thanks for finding the link though, I appreciate it ^_^.
Last edited by AliJDB at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by AliJDB

No pilot holes on the GFS kits though eek.

wouldnt be diy if you didnt have to do things yourself now would it?
Quote by noisefarmer
wouldnt be diy if you didnt have to do things yourself now would it?

This is true. However first project and all that, I'd like to minimize the chance of screw ups.
Last edited by AliJDB at Aug 10, 2009,
Man, that is one Mineral-stained body.