I'm looking for a good guitar $600 or less for punk. I'm looking for a guitar that will sound VERY Green Day-ish, more specifically their new stuff (21st Century Breakdown). Is the PRS SE One good for this? If not, what other guitars are there for under $600 that get a good Green Day sound? Thanks!!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
Well, Billy Joe Armstrong plays a Les Paul Jr, so you might want to try the PRS SE with the p-90 pups. But what kind of amp do you have?

Try this link http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation?q=prs+se+soapbar
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Last edited by hell_monkey at Aug 9, 2009,
Billie Joe's LP Jr has h-90 or p-100 pickups, so basically stacked p90 humbuckers. What you've picked sounds good, as long as ur amp is godd you should be right. also look at Gibson LP Jrs tho, not sure how much his signature model is in the US.
also, green day are not punk, even Billie says so. Pop-punk, as much as i love them.
The PRS SE One does have a soapbar pickup. It is very similar to the Les Paul Jr. and yeah I think it would do just fine.
Dude, if you want a punk sound, use any guitar and amp with distortion.

Punk is more about the lyrics than anything.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Bleh, they're punk to me. :P I use a Marshall 5120 (the solid state version of the JCM800 back in the early 80's) for my distorted tones then use a Fender Blues Jr. for cleans and solo tones with a Tubescreamer. The Billie Joe LP Jr. here is quite expensive unfortunately because I really love the black and white one, but I'll look into regular Gibson LP Jr's.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Fender Blues Jr.
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS9

THE WHO
Quote by texzephyr
Billie Joe's LP Jr has h-90 or p-100 pickups, so basically stacked p90 humbuckers. What you've picked sounds good, as long as ur amp is godd you should be right. also look at Gibson LP Jrs tho, not sure how much his signature model is in the US.
also, green day are not punk, even Billie says so. Pop-punk, as much as i love them.

Pop punk is still punk. They're pretty much just pop rock/poppy alternative. They're about as punk as doing your homework and not sitting too close to the TV.

OP, yes that guitar should get reasonable Green Dayish tones, although your amp might be a little grittier and harsher.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
Pop punk is still punk. They're pretty much just pop rock/poppy alternative. They're about as punk as doing your homework and not sitting too close to the TV.

OP, yes that guitar should get reasonable Green Dayish tones, although your amp might be a little grittier and harsher.

No, it isn't.
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
No, it isn't.

And death metal isn't metal.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
buy a gibson les paul jr. for 839? save a bit more.
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany

Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop with Seymour Duncan Alnico II's

Seagull 25th anniversary Mahogany Edition

Crate GT65

Digitech Metal Master

Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Punk doesn't have a set "tone". Punk is about doing whatever the **** you want. Looking for a "punk tone" is ironic as ****
Proud follower of Åkerfeldtism

P S T F I N D E R

Quote by FFTLxx
Uhh there was this guy who didn't get any of the questions in some exam so he put 2 pencils in his nose and headbutted the desk.. and died.. that's pretty stupid.

Quote by STABxYOU
And death metal isn't metal.

a more accurate would be metalcore isnt metal
~Defiant~
Quote by Putrefaction
Punk doesn't have a set "tone". Punk is about doing whatever the **** you want. Looking for a "punk tone" is ironic as ****

Neither does blues, but if you want Albert King's tone, that is a specific tone.

Billy Joe Armstrong has a pretty specific tone, that's what OP is after, not just 'a good punk tone'.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by Aurex
a more accurate would be metalcore isnt metal

Well, except most of the current wave of mallmetalcore is metal, because it doesn't sound anything like hardcore or real metalcore. It's just hipsters playing metal clichés without any understanding of the genre.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by texzephyr

Doesn't he only use vintage LP Jrs now? Either way, it'll sound fine.

But yeah, if you get a guitar like that, you'll get a nice bright punk tone that'll sound amazing.

Slightly off topic, but I tried the Les Paul Jr (the new Gibson one) and was really suprised. It was a really nice sounding guitar, and played really well. A lot better than the Gary Moore BFG that I was about to buy.

I'm gonna get it an put another P90 in the neck, and just use the tone pot as a second volume.
Cam Sampbell's my hero