I just fell in love with the whole-tone and half-whole diminished scales. I've been experimenting, but how do I use them?
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Line6 Spider III, Line6 FBV footboard, BOSS SuperShifter PS-5
Tascam US-122, ZOOM Rythmtrak RT-123, Zoom MRS-4 MultiTrak
Drumsite, Audacity
just like any other scale... apply your own note sleection and phrasing to them...
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
the whole tone scales work over augmented chords... (A+, Bb+...) .. The half-whole...and whole-half diminished scales... or octatonic scales work well over diminished chords (half or whole diminished) or even dominant chords (V7) because they're just a diminished chord with a major 3rd beneath them... but this is more-so in jazz contexts..

I'd suggest looking into some Bartok for some interesting classical uses with these scales
What exactly are + chords and how do I make them?
Gear

Jackson DKM2 Dinky, Seymour Duncan Pickups, Jackson Patented FLoyd Rose, Maple Neck
Drumsite, Audacity
an augmented chord is a major chord with a sharpened 5th

1-3-#5

Edit: half-whole scales can also work over dominant 7 chords built off the root

i suggest you map out the scales on a piece of paper or something and see what chords can fit over it.

or if you know what notes are in certain chords you can just analyse the notes of the scale.
Last edited by MapOfYourHead at Aug 10, 2009,
Well I know if you have a perfect interval like a 4th chord and raise the high note you get augmented. Same for a power chord. The book I'm studying with says that. Also when you expand a Major Interval you get augmented.
Gear

Drumsite, Audacity
Quick question. If you wanna play out of a diminished, augmented, whole tone, or any other kind of scale would you play out of the Ionian.
Ex:
If I was playing in G major with aug. and dim. chords would I play g augmented and diminished? Same with whole tone?
Gear

Drumsite, Audacity
C+ :
-x------8
-1------9
-1------9
-2------10
-3------x
-x------x

Two ways of playing them..
Quote by xIxLxCDTxxx
Quick question. If you wanna play out of a diminished, augmented, whole tone, or any other kind of scale would you play out of the Ionian.
Ex:
If I was playing in G major with aug. and dim. chords would I play g augmented and diminished? Same with whole tone?

Well.. Ionian refers to the major scale. In the key of G.. the only diminished chord is F# dim.. When it comes down to it.. you can play these scales/chords in any fashion you want... it all depends on what sound you're looking for.. The only suggestion I'd use is to use these chords/scales in the midst of traditional major/minor chords. Simply playing outside (outside=playing notes over a chord that are not in the chord itself) can create some awesome sounds. Don't limit yourself to rules... or what you should play in context of what.. Be creative.. create riffs and chord progressions that use these tools... even in heavy metal.. Meshuggah is a great example of one of these bands... Also, if you can find a full length version (not the radio edit) of Dream Theater's "A Rite of Passage" check out the chromaticism in the solo section at 5:47. These chords/scales involve chromaticism... they don't fit into keys without having accidentals
Buckethead uses those scales a lot, they're great for getting a dissonant sound. I suggest using them with tapping and applying chromatics in the right places to get that insane Buckethead sound.