Hi there,

I've owned an Epiphone Les Paul Custom since Christmas, though for at least the last 4 months the neck pickup has been incredibly quieter than the bridge. Until now it hadn't really bothered me, but as I'm learning more lead and solo pieces it seems more important to use the neck pickup. Anyway, I have no idea why it doesn't work properly. It hasn't been altered, the guitar has never been dropped or knocked about- it just went quiet.

By quiet, I mean that I have to turn the amp up to 5 to get it to sound the same volume as the bridge pickup would be on 1.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong, and a fix?
it's probably not too low, unless it fell in or something.

most likely the switch is dirty or faulty.

try flick back and forth, see if the volume fluctuates.
if it does then spray compressed air into the switch while flicking.
you can find some at a computer store.

there's also a chance that a connection to the pup or switch is loose. you can try opening up the cavity to check, but on epis, it's very common for the switch to be a little shoddy.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
First thing you need to check is that there are no loose connections inside the guitar, from the pickup to the pots.

Usually I'd suggest raising the neck pickup, but that shouldn't account for that much of a volume difference.

If it's not any of that, the pickup is just dying and needs replacing.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
it's probably not too low, unless it fell in or something.

/QUOTE]

Come to think of it, the neck pickup is a heckuva lot lower than the bridge. Could this simply be it?
Is the volume for the pickup turned all the way up?
But seriously either it's the switch, a connection, or the pickup's dead.
First you should try what jj1565 said about the switch, then check for loose connections.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
Come to think of it, the neck pickup is a heckuva lot lower than the bridge. Could this simply be it?

You can try raising it, but i doubt that that's the problem
Quote by Nietsche
Don't drive. Stay in doors in a padded sterilised germ free room with a strait jacket eating vitamin pills at the appropriate intervals

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ipayformusic

Quote by cptcomet
Weird Kid: Do you play by ear?

Me: No, I play by hand.
It seems like the volume difference is too much to simply be due to pickup height, but it's definitely worth checking.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
First thing you need to check is that there are no loose connections inside the guitar, from the pickup to the pots.

Usually I'd suggest raising the neck pickup, but that shouldn't account for that much of a volume difference.

If it's not any of that, the pickup is just dying and needs replacing.
Why do people think that this happens? A pickup does not just die and show signs of dying on the way out.
OK, maybe I worded it badly. Perhaps I should just say "faulty".
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Alright, I'm back.

I'd often wondered why my pickup selector switch wasn't "straight", it was somewhat angled rather than pointing straight towards rhythm/treble. So I loosened the nut thing and moved it back the way it should be, and depending how it was positioned, the neck pickup would work. It took a lot of jiggling around to get it right, and once I'd tightened the nut again, I'd lost it.

So anyway, it looks like a problem with the switch wiring. Thanks for the help guys, I'll try and get it fixed