Ive read up on it and im still somewhat confused about it since most of the explanations go into technical terms..... all i understood from reading is that making an amp go farther than whats its made for causes it to clip..and that a Tube amp has a "soft" clip when driven to far and the Solid State amps have a "hard" clip which to our ears is REALLY undesireable. So im asking OTHER than active pickups is there anything else that can cause an amp to clip? Such as can a Disto. Pedal make an amp clip? or High output passives and such
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
volume knob too high... a cranked SS amp clips like ****
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
volume knob too high... a cranked SS amp clips like ****

well...ive never played any amp cranked....on gigs if it wasnt high enough i just mic'ed it through the PA and at home i just play at the volume at 4 or 5...
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
An amp that produce a perfect signal (ie, no clipping) is producing a perfect sine wave of sounds, it's perfectly curved up and down.

When a tube amp clips the tops and bottoms of the waves flatten out a bit, which we hear as distortion and compression, soft clipping. When an SS amp clips the wave goes totally square, tons of distortion and compression, hard clipping. Basically, the amp can't make the wave go any higher so the wave flattens out, tube amps don't go flat since they become more efficient as they overdrive so the wave still retains some curve. SS amps don't do that so the wave goes flat at their max output level. Hope that makes sense.

A dist pedal doesn't make the amp clip (unless you're using it to boost an amp on the brink) but actually creates the clipping itself, which the amp then amplifies.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
An amp that produce a perfect signal (ie, no clipping) is producing a perfect sine wave of sounds, it's perfectly curved up and down.

When a tube amp clips the tops and bottoms of the waves flatten out a bit, which we hear as distortion and compression, soft clipping. When an SS amp clips the wave goes totally square, tons of distortion and compression, hard clipping. Basically, the amp can't make the wave go any higher so the wave flattens out, tube amps don't go flat since they become more efficient as they overdrive so the wave still retains some curve. SS amps don't do that so the wave goes flat at their max output level. Hope that makes sense.

A dist pedal doesn't make the amp clip (unless you're using it to boost an amp on the brink) but actually creates the clipping itself, which the amp then amplifies.

ok that makes alot more sense......so basically.....if you run like...a boss OD pedal on the clean channel on a SS amp everything will be ok..but if you run the OD pedal OVER the OD channel that the SS amp already has it will cause it to make an un-godly amount of shart noises. And with a Tube all it does is makes it just saturate faster?
Yeah, ss amps distortion plus pedal distortion does not usually mix well. Distortion pedals can have tons of different effects on tube amps. Every pedal is gonna sound different with every amp, especially if you're mixing the amps overdrive in as well.
ALSO for me asking this question is cause I recently bought a Radial Texas Bones OD pedal and when i run it through my Bugera it sounds real great.....but i only use that amp at band practices....at home i just use a Crate Flexwave and im just REAL sceptical about running that OD pedal on it since its a SS amp.....not that i play cranked with either one anyways.
Try it out, radial makes some good pedals from what I can tell, and if the amp has a decent clean channel I'd think it'll sound pretty damn fine. I've run my modded ds1 through my crate power block and I though it sounded just fine for a 50 dollar pedal and a 100 dollar amp, gig worthy even.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Try it out, radial makes some good pedals from what I can tell, and if the amp has a decent clean channel I'd think it'll sound pretty damn fine. I've run my modded ds1 through my crate power block and I though it sounded just fine for a 50 dollar pedal and a 100 dollar amp, gig worthy even.

cool....alright man thanks alot for your time and info!!