Hi Guys,

I've looked everywhere and can find nothing regarding these pickups.

I'm looking for a soundbite of how they sound and can't find one anywhere!!!

Does anyone have this/know where I can find a soundbite?

Would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Cheers!

Mick

(re-porting this thread as I think I may have posted it in the wrong forum the first time!)
look on youtube, Ive never heard one before
I play Lacrosse, you should too
Quote by reeses
heed this man's suggestion, for he is wise.

Aww shucks...

Quote by Tom 1.0
Oh and wait for the Schecter fan boys, if you listen real hard you can already hear them coming.
Have tried youtube, have tried google, have tried seymour duncan forums....no luck anywhere!
Someone please help!
I want to install this pickup into my 1982 Ibanez blazer (3 single coil pickups)
Currently theres a phase switch that I don't use. I'll be looking to wire the pickup so the switchable gain levels are switched through the phase switch. But before I make a final decision, I need to know how the pickups sounds!
I've got the humbucker version in my les paul and absolutely love it!
there is a blackout single coil.

it's called the as-1.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Definetely does exist and looks like its available to buy too, which is why it seems crazy that there's no sound bites!
CAUTION: I may end up saying something stupid
Is it possible that you could just play a humbucker Blackout while coil tapped?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09

Is it possible that you could just play a humbucker Blackout while coil tapped?

nope.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Completely different.

two reasons:

1) I believe the SD BO Single to be a mini humbucker as far as construction is concerned, so not a true single coil, so tapping a humbucker (which I believe would make it in effect a true single coil) would be different

2) Its a SSS configuration on the Blazer and I would really rather not have to route the body.

Don't get me wrong, if the pickup doesn't sound right, I'll mod the guitar to fit a humbucker to get the sound I'm after, but I'd rather maintain that stock appearance. The guitar has aged gracefully and I'd like to keep it that way.
Seeing as the Blackout single coil is the single coil sized variant of the standard Blackout humbucker, then the single coil will sound like the standard BO but I wee bit thinner and with a jumper switch for less gain like passive single coils.
Last edited by TheOpenMind at Aug 12, 2009,
Thanks Nick,

Thats what I too envisaged, but would still love to hear some audio if anyone has any!

Thanks all for your help thus far!
Quote by Mick_Guest
Hi Guys,

I've looked everywhere and can find nothing regarding these pickups.

I'm looking for a soundbite of how they sound and can't find one anywhere!!!

Does anyone have this/know where I can find a soundbite?

Would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Cheers!

Mick

(re-porting this thread as I think I may have posted it in the wrong forum the first time!)

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/stratocaster/cutting-edge/blackouts_singl/
Sorry but no. The AS-1 doesn't sound like the full Blackouts but scaled down; it's voiced to sound as close to a single coil pickup as possible. The resulting tone is very close to a P-90.

EMG make other active single coil-sized pickups that sound both more and less like a normal single coil pickup - their models made with bar magnets sound a little more like a single-sized humbucker while the models with seperate polepieces sound more like a Strat style singlecoil.

That said, if you want a humbucker tone but don't have space for a full sized humbucker, the closest thing you can get is something along the lines of a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails wired to 250k control pots. This thickens up the tone a bit (most humbuckers use 500k pots) which compensates ofr the Hot Rail's smaller size. This is honestly the closest you can get to a full humbucker tone in a single coil size. Even then, it's not a particularly great tone. You have to remember that the physical size of the pickups define the tone just as much as the magnet type of how many coils there are, the fact it remains the same size as a normal single coil pickup means it will always sound thinner and brighter than any ful humbucker.

Most Strat bodies are routed for a humbucker in the bridge though, so if you want a full humbucker tone you should be able to just buy a new pickguard, most Strat and Strat copy bodies don't need extra routing for this.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.