OK, before any of you guys say anything, you dont have to know anything bout banjo to help me out here.

My problem is that im trying to build a minor scale in F on my banjo, and i think im doing something wrong... It just plain doesnt seam right to me. Im using the formula of W H W W H W W (W meaning whole step and H meaning half step.) And what i got is this:

D|---------------------8-10-11
B|--------------4-6-7----------
G|-------3-5-6-----------------
D|3-5-6------------------------

Shouldnt my two D strings be the same? :/

EDIT: This originally said G minor but i goofed up and put in the F minor scale, and later realized, so i made the text correspond to the tab
Last edited by FUT55 at Aug 11, 2009,
I don't know how a banjo is tuned exactly, but I do know you can play the whole scale up one string. Just remember a half step is equal to one fret, and a whole step is equal to two frets. Once you get the sound of the scale down I think you could play it vertically as opposed to horizontally.

But...the more I think about it the more I think I completley misunderstood your question lol.
You would only play the same notes on the 2 D strings if you were playing the same scale degrees on them.

What you've written isn't G minor though

G minor is G A Bb C D Eb F, which if you're tuned to D G B D would be

D|-----------------------
B|----------------6-8---
G|--------5-7-8--------
D|5-7-8----------------
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
You would only play the same notes on the 2 D strings if you were playing the same scale degrees on them.

B|----------------6-8---
G|--------5-7-8--------
D|5-7-8----------------
Yeah, listen to this guy.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
That's an F minor scale you're playing:

F, G, Ab, Bb, C, Db, Eb, F

As long as you play those notes, in any order you want, you'll be in the key of F minor.

Just think of the basic notes: A, B, C, D, E, F, G - but when you're about to hit A, B, D or E, you hit the note below instead (thus flattening it) in order to be in F minor.
(I'm just going to assume that you did in fact post an F minor scale.)

If you play -3-5-6- on your high D string, those notes will work, but they are found elsewhere in the pattern (same notes and same octave). When you go to your high D string, you're playing notes that you haven't already played. This is the same idea used for three-note-per-string scales on the guitar.

If the theory behind those scales confuses you, worry about that later (it doesn't really have anything to do with your question).

(FYI, folks, I've not checked the patterns for accuracy; I just picked one of the first Google results. Let me know via PM if the patterns are wrong.)
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Aug 10, 2009,
you're too D strings are tuned the same - but all the notes on the scale (and the ones not in it too) appear on each string. so in g minor on the d string you could have 0 1 3 5 7 8 10 12 13 15 17 etc. depending on where you're playing.

if you're having trouble constructing the scales across multiple string i suggest doing it up and down one string - writing down the frets you until you have a list of all the frets in that scale, then you can build patterns from there.
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Oh. Duh. I posted the wrong scale in my OP. That was supposed to be up a step so it WOULD have been G minor. Ill edit that that. But in the mean time...

Quote by zhilla

B|----------------6-8---
G|--------5-7-8--------
D|5-7-8----------------

So theres nothing wrong with my scale (besides that it was F minor instead of G minor)?

You've got

F G Ab Bb C Db Eb F Gb Bb C Db

which isn't a diatonic scale.

If you changed it to F G Ab Bb C Db Eb F you'd be playing F minor

Edit:thanks food1010. It appears I don't know my alphabet yet
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by zhilla

You've got

F G Ab Bb C Db Eb F Gb B C Db

which isn't a diatonic scale.

If you changed it to F G Ab Bb C Db Eb F you'd be playing F minor
You're partially right. He only has one wrong note though, that Gb. The "B" is actually a Bb.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
So then what i should have is F G Ab Bb C Db Eb F G Ab Bb C, or

D|---------------------6-8-10
B|--------------4-6-8--------
G|-------3-5-6---------------
D|3-5-6----------------------

Yes?