when i perform certain techniques such as bending to a string, i sometimes cause other strings to sound. i find that this happens when bending upward the three high octave strings on complicated or fast licks. how do i avoid sounding other strings when playing? my right hand floats over the strings and does not make contact with the strings. should i lower my hand to partially mute all 6 strings? i don't see how it's possible to do SRV style licks without causing other strings to sound; the bends are so high and frequent. also, when my fingers leave the strings to play another note/chord, the strings can be heard slightly, as if i were performing a pull off. how do i stop this and play cleanly?

i am playing on an ibanez artcore ag-95 without an amp.
First of all, I want to say good on you for playing that thing. I was expecting this to be a situation of too much gain from "brutal" playing and you couldn't control it. But yeah, you basically have the right idea, mute the strings you aren't playing however you feel best. I use my picking hand and just rest it on the strings lower than what I'm playing. There are all sorts of muting techniques though, just experiment with playing a simple lick involving bends and try to prevent the strings from ringing. It's like anything else on guitar, you'll be going in blind but just experiment and evenually you will find a way.
Last edited by nerdor257 at Aug 9, 2009,
so should i mute only when bending? guitar principles and many others strictly advise against anchoring or touching the instrument with the picking hand
Slow down your playing and practice all the bends and fast sections until they are clean and slowly speed them up.

Also, are you playing with flatwounds and/or a wound 3rd string?
Flatwounds are common on archtops but are usually very heavy and hard to bend (common for jazz)

So just slow each lick down and play them along with a metronome to keep time and play everything smooth and even like you want it to sound and then increase speed slowly.
thank you for the tips.

p.s. i strung my guitar with acoustic strings for the a and d because the electric strings both broke. is this dangerous?
nah it's not... you should be fine... beautiful guitar btw
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
thanks, man.

i have another question.

how do i play this? (examples of string skipping)

-----------------------------5----------------------------------
----------------------------------------
------------------------------3----------------------
---11------11--------------------------------------
-------------------------------5----------------------------
---11------12----------------5-------------------------------------

i don't think that the rh fingers would be used, because this is from a blues rock song. how do i play chords with spaces in between them?!
Last edited by imitchydownther at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by imitchydownther
thanks, man.

i have another question.

how do i play this? (examples of string skipping)

-----------------------------5----------------------------------
----------------------------------------
------------------------------3----------------------
---11------11--------------------------------------
-------------------------------5----------------------------
---11------12----------------5-------------------------------------

i don't think that the rh fingers would be used, because this is from a blues rock song. how do i play chords with spaces in between them?!

Just mute the unwanted strings with your fretting hand and strum it like a chord.

(IE - For the first one, I'd play the top string with one finger, letting it lightly touch the 5th string to mute it, then use a second finger to fret the 4th string...then strum all three strings)
Gear

Gibson '57 Les Paul Reissue
Marshall TSL 601
EHX: Big Muff, Metal Muff, Small Stone, POG, 2880
Ibanez TS808
Voodoo Labs Microvibe
Analogman Chorus
Morley Bad Horsie II
Keeley Compressor (C4)
Nova Delay
MXR 10-band EQ