I have noticed that in many songs by such artists as The Devil Wears Prada and Winds of Plague, they begin their breakdowns with a very deep, bassy "boom" sound.

What is this boom? And how is it played?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Gear:

Ibanez XPT707FX
Ibanez RG7321 (DiMarzio D-Activator 7 Pickups)

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah-Wah
DigiTech Whammy WH-4
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Line 6 Flextone III Plus w/FBV2 Footswitch
i've actually been wondering the same thing, since a lot of hardcore artists use them. I think it might be a production technique, but i'm not too sure

OnEdit: Just realized this is in the Metal forum. Should be in hardcore, good luck with the flamers
Its a bass drop. Depends, sometimes it is a drum machine but also a bass player can just plays an open and slides.
Last edited by Gregray88 at Aug 10, 2009,
Dude the metal forum is full of elitists who don't like metalcore so... well just grab your flame shield and good luck
some people misinterpret "bass drops" for another term with the same name in which the bass frequencies are completely removed. You will always be safe calling them sub drops though

and weird that this is in the metal forum.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
thanks smitty for the bass drop file.

Does anyone have an idea of how to apply this sound in a live band situation?
Gear:

Ibanez XPT707FX
Ibanez RG7321 (DiMarzio D-Activator 7 Pickups)

Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah-Wah
DigiTech Whammy WH-4
Boss RC-20XL Loop Station

Line 6 Flextone III Plus w/FBV2 Footswitch
^The time I saw Winds of Plauge (Summer Slaughter) they played the "boom" live. It was set as a preset on some programmable synthesizer the keyboardist had (I believe). They even tested it out a bunch before the show.
Other planes lie beyond the reach
Of normal sense and common roads
But they are no less real
Than what we see or touch or feel
-Burzum

MoogleRancha is a twat
Quote by BMXfreak000
thanks smitty for the bass drop file.

Does anyone have an idea of how to apply this sound in a live band situation?

no problem at all man! and,
The best way to do it live is to have your bassist slide from the 12th fret to the 1st fret fast, enough to get that "OOOMPH" sound.

and an example of that exact file being used in a song
you can check out :

www.myspace.com/abortingtheillusion

and i'm not promoting that because it's some really old stupid thing i did out of bordem but listen to Assilem, and i'm positive it's in there, if not it's in one of the other songs for sure.
Last edited by Smitty101 at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by Guitar_Kingdom
^The time I saw Winds of Plauge (Summer Slaughter) they played the "boom" live. It was set as a preset on some programmable synthesizer the keyboardist had (I believe). They even tested it out a bunch before the show.

Yeah, I saw Mushroomhead live, and they had it rigged on the keyboard. The tech pressed it while setting up.
I've heard a few death metal bands use it as well before breakdowns, it's not really an exclusively metalcore thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Also, I love the reputation the metal forum regulars have.
chug chug bree bree sweep sweep generic core trolling etc

I'm not in a creative mood tonight.
Quote by guitgrinder
Yep. I'm real mad. I got done havin some fun jammin w/ my band today, gonna have a Sloppy Joe dinner, w/ Tater Tots covered in chili, then my girlfriends gonna blow me tonight. I've got lots to be mad about!
It's a sub drop. Death metal bands have used it for years to add that extra BOOM to a chunky section, and deathcore/metalcore bands have adopted it as well. It's fairly standard. It's normally a sample pad that the drummer controls, but if there's a keyboardist, that's the other way of making it happen.
I'm curious to what death metal bands use this sub drop thingy, I've never noticed it before. Also old Metalcore like Converge and Botch is incredible,no drops from them that i can think of either.
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

Quote by Inimical
Also, I love the reputation the metal forum regulars have.

A lot of work has gone into creating and maintaining it, it seems.

Although there seems to be a sickening tolerance of core in this thread...
if you were on lambgoat, you would get torn to pieces. hide your face and nuts while you still can.
Oh yeah, like what a bunch of hot-tempered, angsty teens say over the internet is going to have any bearing over me physically... or emotionally, come to think of it.

I honestly have no idea what the **** lambgoat is, or who that threat was aimed at.

But my statement still holds true.
that wasnt a threat, and i wasnt replying to you, my bad. this is just a retarded question is what i was trying to say, so chill.
I wasn't meant to come across angry then... As I said, (in different words, however) nothing that anyone i've never met says to me on the internet is really going to affect me.

Sure, I disagreee with people, but I don't get worked up over it.
then lets agree that 808s used to signify breakdowns are super gay and cheesy
I don't even know what that means.

I don't even know why I came in here... I don't care if people like core (despite what i said up there^^^^^^) You can dislike something without having to bash it.
Pig Destroyer used them on a lot of early tracks. Personally, I think they work better in grindcore and PV than in metalcore or deathcore or death metal.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2