Hey folks, I'd like to apologize in advance as I know this has been asked a thousand or so times before but I'm afraid I really need the help. I've read the What Guitar thread and browsed the forums quite a bit over the past week so I'm not a total newb. My problem is that I don't have the average circumstances...

I'm not totally new to guitar. I've been playing my Jay Turser acoustic for four years on and off. Off more than on. Lately I've gained a renewed respect for music and interest in developing further as a guitar player. I know the basic stuff, how to tune, A G E Em F C D etc simple chords, a few scales. I can play a few songs and I've been working hard. My problem is that although I do enjoy my acoustic my passion is electric. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time making a decision regarding a new electric guitar. I'm hoping investing in an electric will help to make me want to play more.

The issues: I enjoy a wide range of music. Everything from Ani DiFranco/Jill Sobule/Bob Dylan to Anti Flag/Bad Religion to Talking Heads to Janis Joplin to Coldplay/U2 to Kimya Dawson to Counting Crows to Eels to Joan Jett to Moby to Oasis to Tegan and Sara to The Killers to Wolf Parade to... you get it. So I need a versatile guitar.

Also, I'm short, 5'2" (5'3" with my shoes on) and as a seventeen year old chick I'm not getting any taller. I have small hands and I'm concerned about the neck (I have issues with my acoustic sometimes - especially trying to do bar chords and the like) and weight.

My price range is probably around $400 tops for the guitar, case, and amp. I know I'm probably asking an extraordinarily redundant, annoying question, but I really need the help. See, my girlfriend is showing an interest in playing and I want to let her use my acoustic until she gets her own... so I guess part of it is trying to impress her and part of it is really wanting the best bang for my buck. I know it's a personal choice, I know I'll probably have to try them myself but I figure asking the experts is the best way to find a starting point... so thanks in advance.

Hugs, Kisses, and Liquid Nitrogen Bombs,
J.T.
Start with a squier strat. Amp, roland microcube, and a hardshell case.
Quote by Kensai
Happy birthday

Quote by TSmitty6
is it me or does the black kids head look like a bong, and the girl behind him just took a hit and is zonked out?
Try an Ibanez Artcore...
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
This is going to sound dumb, but I have a friend with a Squire and for some reason I really dont like it. I cant point out specifically what, but... it just gives me bad vibes I guess.
These seem like they might fit the bill

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-PAC012DLX-Pacifica-HSS-Deluxe-Electric-Guitar?sku=519177

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030

its the commonly recommended starter combo on here

Welcome to UG! You'll start learning who to listen to and who not to, but right now you made a good choice coming to this thread. If you have any more questions PM me, or just ask in the thread
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
As far as your hand hurting when playing bare chords, thats somthing we all go through - you just have to develop the muscles.

Your best bet on a guitar is to go looking at pawn shops and at guitar center until you find one that your very comfortable with - Do not just go and let a salesman talk you into buying the first one you see.

As a begginer, your probably not going to find much a difference between your acoustic and your electric at first, besides the face that the electric is easier on the fingers to play. As far as sound goes, cleans always sound better on acoustic - therefore if you want to spice up the sound of your electric, invest in a pedal.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I'd go for a smaller scale than 25.5. Maybe try some Epiphones to see if you like the necks, if not then maybe a PRS SE model? Shorter scale/less tension means easier bar chords, etc.
Wow ok, people responded to this alot faster than I expected.

The Ibanez Artcore looks nice but it really pushes my budget and I doubt I'd be able to afforf the amp too, Metlhead that amp looks perfect thank you, Vypor I do plan on hitting guitar centers I'm just looking for a starting point, the PRS SE also pushes my budget, the Epi's are officially on my maybe list, and fretburn I'm checking those out online now =)
i'd go to guitar center and pick out a $200-$250 guitar. you'll thank yourself later for it. most ibanez guitars make great starters, i started with a GAX70 and loved it. if you start with anything too low of quality theres a good chance you'll end up quitting after a while. i'd try to find a guitar with a fixed bridge too.

for an amp, i bought a 15 watt crate that i still have when you're starting out i think it's more about the guitar than the amp. later on it's kind of the opposite. that leaves you with plenty of money for random things that cost, like a gig bag, strap, picks, and chords. maybe even a book if you're looking into getting better.

mostly, have fun! you've already played some and have a decent understanding of chords and stuff, so you're off to a pretty good start already.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
thanks LifeIsABullet, that makes me feel a little better, I'll admit I've probably kind've overloaded on research lately. I tend to do that. I'll try to cool down a bit and remember to have some fun =)
Yeah, Def. use the site to help you excel. Your always going to get mixed answers from people on the forums, but I agree with bullet on the whole amp thing.

My crate amp is also 15 watt and its all i've had for awhile. It'll get you by. But older crate amps have a really bad rep. for the input jack crapping out.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by JTBach
Wow ok, people responded to this alot faster than I expected.

The Ibanez Artcore looks nice but it really pushes my budget and I doubt I'd be able to afforf the amp too, Metlhead that amp looks perfect thank you, Vypor I do plan on hitting guitar centers I'm just looking for a starting point, the PRS SE also pushes my budget, the Epi's are officially on my maybe list, and fretburn I'm checking those out online now =)

Epis...well some are pretty solidly built guitars, I'll never understand the crap ppl give em

why not go second hand?
you can get a really good guitar for cheap
PRS...wow, ahahah, too much money way to fast

as far as amps go... the vpyrs are cool, avoid spiders (you'll hear that soon enough around here)
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.