Page 1 of 4
There doesn't seem to be one of these and there really should be. Feel free to post your experiences with these amps, setting tips, and any troubles you run into. Myself and others will be happy to help. I'll post a pic of mine to start things off:
VT100
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
I absolutely love my AD30VT. I know the VT30s have more amp models, but are there any other major differences between the ADs and the VTs? Also, what happened to the AD60VT/AD120VT and AD60VTX/AD120VTX did they just discontinue them or are they working on the VT60
Quote by cornmancer
I absolutely love my AD30VT. I know the VT30s have more amp models, but are there any other major differences between the ADs and the VTs? Also, what happened to the AD60VT/AD120VT and AD60VTX/AD120VTX did they just discontinue them or are they working on the VT60

The modeling quality is slightly improved in the new VT series. The AD's are great amps though and still better (imo) then 99% of modeling amps out there. I believe the "blue" series of AD amps are in fact discontinued. Not sure if Vox will release a special 60 edition of the VT's or not.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Just out of curiosity, you ever run any pedals with your AD? I know my VT takes to pedals extremely well when used intelligently. Just curious how the AD behaves?
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Should i buy an ad30vt or a vt15 for metal? For practice. Theyre the same price.
Quote by ianae86
Just out of curiosity, you ever run any pedals with your AD? I know my VT takes to pedals extremely well when used intelligently. Just curious how the AD behaves?

I've the an Ad30xl. It's not the best with pedals, but I haven't used too many with mine other than Wah, EQ and Compressor. With the Adxl's an EQ is completely necessary because of the lack of lowend tighness. Has that been fixed for the VT series?
Quote by ianae86

The only pedal I own is a Ernie Ball wah and it works fine with the AD.

Quote by Sale93
Should i buy an ad30vt or a vt15 for metal? For practice. Theyre the same price.

VT15, the AD's could go into metal territory, but they weren't that great. As far as I know the VT's were a major improvement in the valvetronix series when it came to metal, but hey what do I know I don't even like metal that much.
Last edited by cornmancer at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by ianae86

My AD100VT pretty pedal friendly. Of course my wah and EQ work fine, but my Bad Monkey works too, and if used in a certain way can actually be used to 'boost' the distorion models.

What models does everyone use most? I pretty much stick to 2 main ones, UK 80s (JCM 800) for my distortion and AC15 for my cleans. Occaisionally I'll use the Boutique OD (Dumble Overdrive Special) for a great smooth lead sound, but not very often.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
IN!!

AD30VT.

Best reasonably priced amp for home recording that exists.
The line out is a *ifgodexists,thengod*send.
Very inspiring...and makes me record tons of songs.

Anyone who wants an idea of the tone and how it takes pedals can have a look at them. (profile).
Styles change drastically though.
I've had my AD50VT for about two years now, and I'm still making new great sounds everyday!!
LTD EC-400VF
Ibanez RG321MHRB
2005 Epiphone Vintage SG G400
MXR EVH Phase 90
Digitech Bad Monkey
BOSS DD-7
Korg Pitchblack
Marshall JVM215C
Marshall 1936 2x12 Cabinet
Welcome aboard everyone! The guy who posted the Vox thread: this thread is specifically for Valvetronix users.

Whoever was wanting a valvetronix for metal might consider looking into the older XL series if that's ALL you want to use it for. The VT does have some excellent high gain models though (mesa triple rect, Peavey 6506, etc).

As far as my favorite model, probably the UK80s and the Tweed 4x10. I love how the tweed model responds with my fuzz and overdrives and I just love that classic JCM800 grit with the other.

Like someone else mentioned, an EQ is a borderline MUST on any of the Valvetronix models that use any sort of 12" speaker setup. Especially the 100 watt 2x12. At reasonable volumes, its just too muddy. An EQ in the effects loop cleared it up drastically. Like taking a blanket off the amp.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by ianae86
I love how the tweed model responds with my fuzz and overdrives

I'm interested.

One of the reasons im a bit hesitant to get a fuzz is that im unsure if it'll react well with the amp.
i LOVE VOX VALVETRONIX i am dieng for a vt30 but i dun have the cash plus i unfortunatly am currently living overseas can anyone donate a vt30 to me :P
Gear:
-Epiphone les paul special II
-Peavey Valveking 112
Quote by ianae86
Especially the 100 watt 2x12. At reasonable volumes, its just too muddy. An EQ in the effects loop cleared it up drastically. Like taking a blanket off the amp.

Definately this! I never use the amp without my EQ. It makes such a huge difference. Haha, I even call it 'The Magic Box' because it just makes it so much better.
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by unet
I'm interested.

One of the reasons im a bit hesitant to get a fuzz is that im unsure if it'll react well with the amp.

I've posted them on this site for other reasons, but here's a couple line out recordings of both my different fuzzes:
Behringer Big Muff Clone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqelAHgD-jg

Custom made "nasty" fuzz:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzsG8IUoFko

And I leave my EQ on all the time as well, haha. "Magic Box", I like that! I'm just using a cheap Danelectro model as well but it works great.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by Sampy
My AD100VT pretty pedal friendly. Of course my wah and EQ work fine, but my Bad Monkey works too, and if used in a certain way can actually be used to 'boost' the distorion models.

What models does everyone use most? I pretty much stick to 2 main ones, UK 80s (JCM 800) for my distortion and AC15 for my cleans. Occaisionally I'll use the Boutique OD (Dumble Overdrive Special) for a great smooth lead sound, but not very often.

I usually use the Tweed 4x10 and the UK 70's.
Quote by cornmancer
I usually use the Tweed 4x10 and the UK 70's.

The removal of the UK70's seems to be a big complaint among VT users. Never had the pleasure of messing with it. What's it modeled after?
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
ive got a AD30VT. it kicks out some pretty nice sounds if you get it right, but i think id like to trade it in for a simpler amp with less options to just run some pedals through. and orange or something.
"Most people die with their music still locked up inside them." - Benjamin Disraeli
Quote by crofty191
ive got a AD30VT. it kicks out some pretty nice sounds if you get it right, but i think id like to trade it in for a simpler amp with less options to just run some pedals through. and orange or something.

I know the feeling sometimes. I've considered getting a low wattage tube amp to play with but the lack of an effects loop for anything in my price range takes the thrill away for me. I find the Vox to meet my needs pretty well, especially given that some dedicated, non-modeling amps don't take pedals that well anyways.

EDIT: But I would LOVE to have a Tiny Terror to play with. Oranges are great amps.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
For any blues and classic rock players here, what are your settings I'm getting close to what I want, but it's not quite there yet. I might have to pick up an OD pedal or something.
Tweed 4x10
Gain - 3 o'clock
Volume - 2 o'clock
Treble - 1 o'clock
Mids - a tiny bit past 12 o'clock
Bass - 12 o'clock
Reverb
Edit 1 - 12 o'clock
Edit 2 - 11 o'clock
Edit 3 - I'm not entirely sure what this does
What does edit 3, bypass + edit 1, do for reverb?
Quote by cornmancer
For any blues and classic rock players here, what are your settings I'm getting close to what I want, but it's not quite there yet. I might have to pick up an OD pedal or something.
Tweed 4x10
Gain - 3 o'clock
Volume - 2 o'clock
Treble - 1 o'clock
Mids - a tiny bit past 12 o'clock
Bass - 12 o'clock
Reverb
Edit 1 - 12 o'clock
Edit 2 - 11 o'clock
Edit 3 - I'm not entirely sure what this does
What does edit 3, bypass + edit 1, do for reverb?

Reverb is an independent effect on the VT series so I'm not sure.

EDIT: According to the manual it adjusts the "HI DAMP" so perhaps a tone or brightness control? Looks like a cool setting though, I'll have to check it out. A bit more gain then I use on my Bassman setup but I like what you're going for with it.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
I like my VT50 a lot. The modeling seems to sound better than the AD series and it sounds a bit clearer.

My settings saved to my footswitch are as follows...

Clean/
Super 4x10
Gain-8:30
Volume-3:00
Treble-11:30
Middle-1:00
Bass-1:00

Light Dirt/
Super 4x10
Gain-1:00
Volume-12:00
Treble-1:30
Middle-Dimed
Bass-12:00

Distorted Rhythm/
UK80s
Gain-1:00
Volume-12:30
Treble-11:00
Middle-1:00

Lead/
UK80s
Gain-dimed (sounds like a bad idea, but it's not too distorted)
Volume-1:00
Treble-11:30
Middle-3:00
Last edited by sg4ever at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by ianae86
The removal of the UK70's seems to be a big complaint among VT users. Never had the pleasure of messing with it. What's it modeled after?

An early 70s Plexi.
Quote by ianae86
Reverb is an independent effect on the VT series so I'm not sure.

EDIT: According to the manual it adjusts the "HI DAMP" so perhaps a tone or brightness control? Looks like a cool setting though, I'll have to check it out. A bit more gain then I use on my Bassman setup but I like what you're going for with it.

Yeah I'm messing with it to try and get something similar to the legendary Bluesbreaker tone, which will obviously need a different amp model. Then save that and mess with it some more to try and get a Albert King type thing going.
I own an AD15VT, and I love it. Although I wish it had more gain. I want to sell it and upgrade to a VT15, the Diezel VH-4 model and pitch shifter are really tempting.

I want to get a Bad Monkey OD for a boost and a Will Sledge Judge pedal, but does the AD series take OD/dist/fuzz boxes well?

Quote by Sampy

How does it sound with the Bad Monkey boost?
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
^UK Modern is now UK90s on the VT amps. Well, there still is a UK Modern, but the sound has been replaced by the JVM instead.
Quote by cxrlxscr

How does it sound with the Bad Monkey boost?

When used with the higher gain models I've gound that it has little effect, but it can be really useful with the UK 80s and below.

I usually use it as a slight volume and gain boost on the UK 80s model for solos, or to get more of a gritty sound on the AC15 model. It can really tighten up the amp and give that extra bit of gain, should you need it.

The most important thing about it is it gives a bit more versatility in a live situation. The problem with the AD series is that you have 2 footswitchable channels and effects bypass, or 3 footswitchable channels with effects always on or off. With the Bad Monkey it's like giving myself twice the amount of channels, which is good for me as my bands sound varies wildly from one song to another.
- Dara O'Briain
Quote by Sampy
When used with the higher gain models I've gound that it has little effect, but it can be really useful with the UK 80s and below.

I usually use it as a slight volume and gain boost on the UK 80s model for solos, or to get more of a gritty sound on the AC15 model. It can really tighten up the amp and give that extra bit of gain, should you need it.

So would it be ideal for high-gain stuff (e.g. hardcore, metal, etc.)?

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
i have a vox AD50VT which i use as a spare at the moment. it's nice though - it has some really good tones.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Yes! I swear by my AD50, it's a great amp. I tend to stick to the Blackface 2x12 simulation, and sometimes I use the AC30TB as a harmonica amp.

I don't see the point in posting pictures in this thread though, surely everyone will just post pictures of what's basically the same amp? Mine does have a Devi Ever sticker on the front though...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by Tombe
Yes! I swear by my AD50, it's a great amp. I tend to stick to the Blackface 2x12 simulation, and sometimes I use the AC30TB as a harmonica amp.

I don't see the point in posting pictures in this thread though, surely everyone will just post pictures of what's basically the same amp? Mine does have a Devi Ever sticker on the front though...

Pics or ban!!! :P haha, yeah I suppose pictures are a bit pointless. But if someone's modded there's that might be cool to see. I'd love to have a traditional vox cloth checkered grill on mine
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
I was gonna put a grill cloth on it, but decided against it as my amp gets pretty beat up lugging it round to gigs. I put casters on it and they gave way on the way into a venue. So now it dosen't even have the rubber feet on it because I can't remember where I put them!
- Dara O'Briain
I do agree Valvetronix amps look awesome with a classic grill cloth, specially on the new VT amps which could resemble AC15/AC30's. But since I'm a bit of a high-gain player, I've figured out the chrome grill fits my playing style.

Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Yeah my VT100 took a spill off of its amp stand already, lol. I was SUPER pissed at the time but it only managed to bend the metal grill a little bit which I promptly pulled back out. No performance issues though. I feel confident that these amps are built pretty tough.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by slash-120
Does anyone have the footswitch for the VT and is it worth the money?

I didn't invest in it. Seemed kinda pointless since I generally leave it on one model for each song using my pedals to change the tone as needed.
SLAP energy drinks ftw.
Quote by Tombe

Wait so you use the AC30TB for when you plug in the harp mic for your amp. That's pure genius, I think Keith Relf of The Yardbirds did that, why did I never think of that.
Page 1 of 4