I might be switching from guitar to bass in my band, just wondering if it is difficult or not...the change that is
It can be pretty jarring if you've never played a bass before.
Check out my band Disturbed
It's lots of fun. You may switch for good.

The similarities all depend on how you play. If you play with a pick it should be fine. If you want to play finger style, you'll have to get used to the right hand technique.

The longer scale length will be weird at first.
Switching from an instrument that takes skill to one that doesn't? Not hard at all...Just kidding.
Whenever I play bass it takes a while to get used to the huge frets. Other than that, not too hard.
Gear:
Epiphone G-400 Ebony
Line-6 UberMetal, EchoPark
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Traynor YCV50Blue, Bass Mate 25, Guitar Mate 15
It won't be too hard, you just need to get used to the size of the bass.

What will be a little bit odd though, is your role in the band. Keeping time and locking in with the drums is what your going to need to focus on now as the bass player.
yeah, just make sure you can learn the drums.

If you are able to mesh with the drummer then you can (in my opinion) continue to play the bass like you would a guitar. The key is just being the glue that connects guitar and drums, it doesn't matter how you do it.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I'll put it like this: the mind of a guitar player can really mess up your bass playing. Guitar and bass have a lot in common but the fact of the matter is 95% of what they have in common are either coincidences or are made for convenience. Thinking of the bass as a 'type of guitar' is the worst thing you can do.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I switched to guitar from bass for my band also, I've switched for good now and when ever I play the guitar it feels like a toy... lol.. I find it alot more fun and I wish I would've switched earlier.
Making the switch is the easist thing ever. I played guitar for a year, and wasn't that great. I switch to bass, and within a month I am amazing. Bass is ten times easier then guitar and if you can play guitar you can play bass. Only thing thats different is picking style, and slapping. Also it takes a little bit to adjust to the thicker strings
Quote by nirvanabassist
Making the switch is the easist thing ever. I played guitar for a year, and wasn't that great. I switch to bass, and within a month I am amazing. Bass is ten times easier then guitar and if you can play guitar you can play bass. Only thing thats different is picking style, and slapping. Also it takes a little bit to adjust to the thicker strings

And the fact that you are doing something completely different than a guitar..
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
It won't be tooo hard just because you're probably already pretty good at fretting with your left hand (or whichever hand you use). It'll be a slight adjustment getting used to the thicker gauge strings and wider frets, especially if you have smaller hands like I do. What will be harder is learning to be an effective bassist. Bass and guitars aren't in the same place in a band, unless you plan on just doing some root note chugging.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!