Hey guys, I would like to (eventually) upgrade my Epiphone's stock pickups. I am a noob, but I want to get serious about my sound, and will be hopefully getting a Peavey Classic 30 for Christmas, so don't worry about the amp. IF I eventually decide not to upgrade pickups, so be it. But for now, I need some recommendations, and that's where you guys come in!

The sound I am looking for is a classic rock tone, but I don't want a weak tone.

I was really interested in a set of Gibson '57 Classics. A Plus in the bridge and regular in the neck seems ungodly, but $250 for a set of pickups? Seems completely unnecessary. If you could either assure me that the Gibsons will be a good buy, or recommend me some other pickups, that would be great! Also, please advise me which to put in the bridge and neck.

Thanks!
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
i think you should upgrade your guitar
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
What about a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a SD '59 in the neck. JB is high output and the 59 will retain that classic tone. Try this, it's called the tone wizard http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/

PS Hey Stratmaster, are you the same dude that did the review on the CoolCat Distortion on Youtube?
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Quote by SkaJon
What about a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge and a SD '59 in the neck. JB is high output and the 59 will retain that classic tone. Try this, it's called the tone wizard http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/tone-wizard/

PS Hey Stratmaster, are you the same dude that did the review on the CoolCat Distortion on Youtube?

aha yeah
Gear
Fender MIM strat
Epiphone G-400 in white (yeah i know, fuck you i like it)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Roland Micro Cube
EHX Big Muff
Danelectro Cool Cat Distortion
EHX Nano Small Stone
Boss DD-3 Delay
Vox V847-A Wah
Radial London Bones
Sweet, I love threads where people are actually looking for vintage voiced pickups and not metal monsters. I suggest you check out this page here...

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=950856&content=music
Really listen hard for the subtleties in tone between the pickups you'll hear it in the pick attack and especially the sounds obtained when notes are bended.

For the about same price here are some similar options you need to look at, you would probably like more than the '57/'57+ combo.

WCR Crossroads - http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6477007
Wolfetone Dr. V - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN80dPGKtEY
Wolfetone Marshallhead (clip in the shootout page), http://kelemenamps.com/clips/humbucker_lp_overdriven.mp3 , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRAJqdZcz5k
Motor City Pickups Blackbelt (clip in the shootout page)
Seymour Duncan Antiquity

If you'd like my personal advice on these kinds of things, I've tried several classic rock style pickups. And I really like the WCR Crossroads, and I'm getting a set of Wolfetones in the coming weeks (Dr. V neck and slightly underwound Marshallhead Mk II). There are a lot of talented winders out there, and for the most part put out better products than the big 3 (Duncan, Dimarzio and Gibson), especially for the purposes of PAF style pickups (like the '57 classic)

Whilst just about any of these options would fit fine for your needs, knowing what kind of sounds you're chasing after would be really helpful in narrowing down the playing field. Seymour Duncan makes about 5 different PAF style pickups for this reason, they could vary a lot in tone.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 10, 2009,
If you want to go the mass-market route then a pair of Duncan Pearly Gates, or if you want a little more bite and output in the bridge out a Custom 5 there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah, I'm thinking SD at this point... I was thinking of a JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck. Does that sound good?
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by al112987
what kind of sound are you looking for? Guitarists? bands?

What kind of sound would the JB/'59 give me? I'm not looking for a specific band's sound, btw.

Also, I didn't realize till now that the JB/'59 combo is extremely cliche
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
How about Seymour Duncan Alnico 2s? That's what Slash uses. Now, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that tone is the rockiest tone you will ever get
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by Royal_Brick
What kind of sound would the JB/'59 give me? I'm not looking for a specific band's sound, btw.

Also, I didn't realize till now that the JB/'59 combo is extremely cliche
Well, they're popular for a reason. They sound pretty good.

The JB gives you that classic hot rodded humbucker sound. The '59 gives you... less of a PAF type tone than you'd think. It really reminds me more of a late patent number/early t-top kind of sound. Either way, both pickups are bright and edgy. I had the set in my les paul before I started really getting into PAF style pickups. The JB is definitely... bright, maybe even a little too much so depending on the guitar. It certainly did not play nice with my les paul which has a very bright, snappy, focused tone. I also didn't like the dynamics of it.

The '59 was pretty cool though, I actually initially started with the '59 set and used the bridge model in the neck and neck model in the bridge hoping to get more of a Page kind of sound when I started becoming a bit of a Page nut, either way, sounded pretty cool, but still, nothing spectacular.

Think of it this way, if you're looking for that '70s to early '80s hard rock sound (think like... ZZ Top or Scorpions) they're a good set.
Quote by simpleben09
How about Seymour Duncan Alnico 2s? That's what Slash uses. Now, I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that tone is the rockiest tone you will ever get
Alnico II pros are very weak pickups. I'm not saying that in a bad way, I actually prefer an underwound pickup, but the consequence of a very low output A2 pickup in my experience is that they're transparent meaning they're a bit picky about the guitar they're in.

As far as I'm concerned, an A5 based PAF style pickup in the 7-8k neck, 8-9k range bridge is the most versatile pickup one can buy.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 10, 2009,
Alright, thanks a bunch! I think the JB/59 sounds good, but I'll definitely be doing more research.
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
For $250, you could certainly do better.

The JB and '59 is a very good set for being in the middle of the road, but if you're very focused on a particular sound, they'll be hard pressed to nail it, though the '59s actually do a pretty good Page...
Quote by al112987
For $250, you could certainly do better.

The JB and '59 is a very good set for being in the middle of the road, but if you're very focused on a particular sound, they'll be hard pressed to nail it, though the '59s actually do a pretty good Page...

Do you know anything about the Gibson 57's?
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X
If your going the cheap but good route then just put good old Dimarzio super distortions in there. If you want to spend money then go with the EMG's. The Zakk set goes for 185 or so.
Quote by Royal_Brick
Do you know anything about the Gibson 57's?
I do, and I will say... they're a little bit inconsistent.

I've heard some that sound just great, and some that sound... not so much. Also, they're a low output, alnico II pickup, so don't expect them to sound ANYTHING like the JB/'59. They're on the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Basically, they're supposed to sound something like an early Seth Lover PAF that came in the '57 gold tops. So, warm, fat and round. alnico IIs have a bit of sag to them, which really works well for some people, but not so much for others. I... like alnico IIs in the neck, but they can get a little bit mushy sounding and indistinct on the wound strings, but the trade off is that you get a very sweet top end on the high strings, it just sounds very warm and slightly spongy pick attack which has this nice blooming effect.

The downside to the '57 is that the low end is especially mushy and it can get boomy, especially in the neck. If you're ok with that, you might like them, I don't particularly like either on their own, but they sound decent mixed (in the middle position).

Everyone has a tone in their head that they're going after, unless you're just switching pickups for the hell of it. You're looking at pickups that are on different ends of the spectrum, which makes it hard to narrow down on.
Quote by Vegetasrevenge
If your going the cheap but good route then just put good old Dimarzio super distortions in there. If you want to spend money then go with the EMG's. The Zakk set goes for 185 or so.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 11, 2009,
I'd definitely take the Custom 5 over the JB, less screechy and the JB doesn't always sound great in LP guitars.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you wanna get serious about your sound, I recommend you change your guitar before you look into aftermarket pickups.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.