Hey, i was just trying to choose a guitar yesterday and i wasn't real sure on what i wanted. I need an Underoath type sound for under 500 bucks. Any ideas?
Most of your tone comes from the amp, man. You should be more interested in what type of amp they use than what type of guitar.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster
Most of your tone comes from the amp, man. You should be more interested in what type of amp they use than what type of guitar.

yeah exactly. though if you have a good amp, go epiphone or PRS se or something like that. they don't have a particular tone, it's mostly amp overdrive.
Check out my music:
Sideshow

"Swing your hips, not your fists"- Cedric Bixler Zavala
Quote by strat0blaster

I agree, but last i saw they used a Telecaster and a Sg, but I really don't know.

I stay away from christian crap-core.
They use JCM800's and Tim uses a Gibson SG Special and sometimes a Les Paul. Their rhythm guitarist has used a tele but usually sticks to a Les Paul these days, their gear is pretty simple and straightforward.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Alright cool, thanks everyone. And i have a Peavey Vyper 30 watt, i was wondering if that would be alright to play wit to get that nice tone.
Look for a Ibanez Hardtail guitars maybe, they're good for metalcore IMO.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by Saoroat
Alright cool, thanks everyone. And i have a Peavey Vyper 30 watt, i was wondering if that would be alright to play wit to get that nice tone.

Practice yes, gigs no.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Hmm...normally I'd say Jackson...but since they use JCM 800s, unfortunately the tone you're looking for mostly comes from that nasty amp
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
For great sub-$500 guitars, check out ESP's LTD line, or Ibanez. Schecter also has a Hellraiser Deluxe that sports EMGs for $500. Play around with everything though, you never know what you might like best.

And yes, the amp is most of your sound, so pinpoint whether you seek to improve your sound or your playability.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Quote by The Red Comet
For great sub-$500 guitars, check out ESP's LTD line, or Ibanez. Schecter also has a Hellraiser Deluxe that sports EMGs for $500. Play around with everything though, you never know what you might like best.

And yes, the amp is most of your sound, so pinpoint whether you seek to improve your sound or your playability.

+2
IMO- esp is good, ibanez is better, schecter is great
im gettin a hellraiser deluxe myself
i thought to myself "500$, sexy red, 24 frets, emg 81+85/89" and BAM.... found it

no idea for amps really, vypyr is a good amp and 30w could play a small gig i just dont know "how" good of an amp it is, i have a dean markley spectra 80a thats gotta b 10+ years old so i cant b one to talk about amp tone
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Peavey Vypyr 15
Fender delrin .73, Tortex .50, .60, .71, & .50 shark fins
I definitely saw Orange amps in the DVD I watched...so that just might help the sound better than guitar, but no Orange amp sells for under 500
My name is Collin, please feel free to use it

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/pickgnomehu nters/

Quote by STABxYOU
Quote by Blakeu224

this is absolutely, 100% correct.
For example, Dave Mustaine has a signature coffee mix.

Good Morning, Black Coffee?
I once talked to a guy that said he went to see them live (Underoath), he said they use Gibson SG's (special models, faded etc.) . Those go for around 500 used on craigslist all the time.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Please get an amp, a guitar wont get you anywhere near what you want in regards to how you sound.
Quote by Metlhead443
I definitely saw Orange amps in the DVD I watched...so that just might help the sound better than guitar, but no Orange amp sells for under 500

Orange Cabs.
Marshall Heads.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB