Page 1 of 2
So, I have a little niece. She's almost 6 years old. Her parents will not let her watch anything that says "hell" "damn" or any other "bad word". Likewise, they don't allow people to swear around her.

My question: What the hell's the big deal? They're just words. I can see their point, but at the same time, I think it's ridiculous. When I was her age, my dad told me to yell "bad words" because he thought it was funny (no lie), and if somebody did something stupid on the road he'd tell me to flip them off and call them some choice words. It's stupid. Besides, she's gonna hear them eventually anyway, and by the time she's in her preteens she'll probably be regularly using the "bad words".

I think we censor life from our children too much. It's silly. Sure, not everyone wants their 8 year old watching Cannibal Holocaust, and I guess I can see where they're coming from with that (it's not every day that you see some guy's head get torn off and his brains devoured), but not allowing words that people use everyday to be said around your child? Stupid.

What are your thoughts, Pit?
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
So much interest in censoring tonight
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
I swear as much as possible in front of little children. True story.
Lift not the painted veil which those who live
Call life; though unreal shapes be pictured there,
And it but mimic all we would believe
Quote by MyNameIsLame
So, I have a little niece. She's almost 6 years old. Her parents will not let her watch anything that says "hell" "damn" or any other "bad word". Likewise, they don't allow people to swear around her.

My question: What the hell's the big deal? They're just words. I can see their point, but at the same time, I think it's ridiculous. When I was her age, my dad told me to yell "bad words" because he thought it was funny (no lie), and if somebody did something stupid on the road he'd tell me to flip them off and call them some choice words. It's stupid. Besides, she's gonna hear them eventually anyway, and by the time she's in her preteens she'll probably be regularly using the "bad words".

I think we censor life from our children too much. It's silly. Sure, not everyone wants their 8 year old watching Cannibal Holocaust, and I guess I can see where they're coming from with that (it's not every day that you see some guy's head get torn off and his brains devoured), but not allowing words that people use everyday to be said around your child? Stupid.

What are your thoughts, Pit?

nice touch
my thoughts are that you dad sounds awesome

████████████████████

███████████████████████
███████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████████

█████████████████████

█████████████████████

███████████████████

█████████████████████

████████████████████
If I had a kid, I would try to keep them innocent for as long as possible.

Kids are growing up way too quickly these days...
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Call me Patrick! My username sucks anyway
I'll say what the **** i want to the little ****s

Idk I don't swear publicly unless i'm with people who I know won't care. I tend to watch what I say around the Jesus kids at my school too.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 10, 2009,
I don't agree with allowing young children to watch films with swear words in them. I'm ok with words like "damn" and "hell" but I wouldn't let a 5 year old watch something with seriously bad language.

Even when they get older and I do let them watch those things, I'll never tolerate my children swearing at home.
XIAOXI
Last edited by Abunai X at Aug 10, 2009,
Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, CockSucker, MotherFucker, and Tits

Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I'm kind of torn on the subject.

At first glance, I believe that swearing kids isn't a terrible thing(I have a theory on the people who get offended, but I won't get into it). But in all honesty, I hate hearing horror stories of people babysitting and their little five-year-old brother/sister(or whatever) curses up a storm.

I think it should be handled by kids the way it's used by people who use them regularly. That is in moderation and not just for the sake of saying it.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I think it is the parent's choice. It is their kid, and they are meant to raise as they see fit. Even though I think there is nothing wrong with it.
all the kiddies lookin up to me can suck my di ck - natalie portman
"If the good die young, we'll fucking live forever"

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital Warts > What Separates Me From You

Quote by zezimathehero
Genital warts, what separates me from you
Oh man, I'm so glad you asked, I love swearing in front of little kids.
Balls.
I think as long as they're not saying a swear every 5 seconds it's fine. Like if they said damn when they're really angry or something along those lines. And as long as they know when not to say those kinds of words around certain people. Like if your parents are ok with it, then they can say it around them, but not around their 90 year old grandparents
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
So much interest in censoring tonight

I was gonna say that

Quote by thesceneislame
all the kiddies lookin up to me can suck my di ck - natalie portman

I love that song.
Quote by zippidyduda

Well said
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by zippidyduda

This.

My mom is principal at a school for kindergarden and first grade. You wouldn't believe how much these kids curse each other out. You also wouldn't believe how much they make sexual advances toward each other.
Carlos! Not at the table!

Quote by TSmitty6
funniest part of the show for me: everyone yells SLAYER, all the time. so this one dude goes up to the esspresso stand and yells LATTE!!!!!!! and the lady spilled the drink all over the customer.
As far as I see it, it's not so much a censorship thing but a class thing.

Imagine you see two mothers walking down the street, both with a child. One of the children is cursing while the other one is just being a normal kid.

What is your first impression of both families?
i dont think its bad at all hahaha. w/e they start learning swears in 1st grade prolly anyway so who cares and start using them in 3rd or 4th kinda like i did lol
My Gear:
Ibanez RG-350 YE w/ Super Dist. and PAF pro pups
ESP LTD KH-602
Dean db razorback
Fender Squier Strat
Epiphone goth bass
acoustic unknown brand
Digitech Rp250
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Vypyr 75 watt
your aunt probably just doesn't want her daughter turning out like you...
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
Quote by humperdunk
your aunt probably just doesn't want her daughter turning out like you...

Sister?

And who wouldn't want their offspring to turn out like me? I'm the motherfucking shit.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by pantericadeth
This.

My mom is principal at a school for kindergarden and first grade. You wouldn't believe how much these kids curse each other out. You also wouldn't believe how much they make sexual advances toward each other.

It's the way society is conditioning them.

I mean, when I was a kid, for me and my friends (which was everyone, in my old school, we all got along), our biggest concerns were pokemon, 4-square, and roller hockey at the park after school.

Now, kids are so into violence and hatred and sex... it seriously makes me sad. I know I'm a bit young to be complaining about the younger generation, but honestly, I feel like childhood innocence is dying out.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

Quote by zippidyduda

It's impossible to do that for very long.

Things like that always remind of The Catcher in the Rye when Holden gets upset upon reading the "fuck you" scribbled on one of the elementary school's walls.

YOU can "preserve" your child, but for the parents that don't, their child will destroy it.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
shitfuckcockballscuntslutkikebitchwhoredick

yeah, that's a real word.

that I made up. OT: TS, I agree completely.
Quote by Ajax413

Me too *hi5*
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Quote by Just Andrew

Things like that always remind of The Catcher in the Rye when Holden gets upset upon reading the "fuck you" scribbled on one of the elementary school's walls.

YOU can "preserve" your child, but for the parents that don't, their child will destroy it.

Too bad Holden is a hypocrite. And very annoying.
Quote by Snake_42
As far as I see it, it's not so much a censorship thing but a class thing.

Imagine you see two mothers walking down the street, both with a child. One of the children is cursing while the other one is just being a normal kid.

What is your first impression of both families?

Umm. I wouldn't really care. It's not like I'd be like "OH MY GOD THAT KID JUST SAID PISS. MUST HAVE A TERRIBLE MOTHER!"
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
Quote by Just Andrew

True, and I agree the innocence will have to end eventually. But at early elementary level? No thank you. Me and my buddies didn't start swearing and talking about sex and stuff till 6th grade.

Sheltering a child too much is a bad thing, but I plan on "preserving" my child until they are at least a little older.
WILDCARD, BITCHES!!

I used to work with kids in a daycare and the ones that swore were always the bad ones. They usually had divorced parents, and those parents were pieces of ****. It's pretty safe to say that info was a given...

Anyways, I can't stand little kids that curse. It's depressing. And when your on Xbox Live playing Halo or Gears it's the most annoying thing in the world to hear a small child cursing at you. Feel to argue liberal/anarchist perspectives but the statistics on these things are indisputable.
Quote by zippidyduda
True, and I agree the innocence will have to end eventually. But at early elementary level? No thank you. Me and my buddies didn't start swearing and talking about sex and stuff till 6th grade.

Sheltering a child too much is a bad thing, but I plan on "preserving" my child until they are at least a little older.

By "preserving" do you mean "beating"? Because I believe that is frowned upon in this day and age.
Quote by Ajax413

This unless it's my girlfriends brother, oh god how I despise children.
Quote by zippidyduda

I agree.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by zippidyduda

You should guide them, but you can't control what they do.

I started swearing/taking about sex at a very early age. I can't remember when, but I know it was sometime during elementary school. I didn't start swearing because of my parents(though I do recall one instance in which I did), but it was mainly due to my friends who actually went as far to poke fun at me for never swearing.

My parents couldn't do a thing about it. But, in the end, I didn't turn out to be a complete disaster.
Quote by Teh Forest King
i curse in front of my daughter who gives a...?

my parents did in front of me but i didnt do it when i was little..kids just have to be taught
Quote by zippidyduda
Me and my buddies didn't start swearing and talking about sex and stuff till 6th grade.

Really? Me and my friends were saying all kinds of cuss words in English and our own language that we said was Japanese and talking about Virginas (lulz) in 3rd grade. We didn't actually know about sex and stuff til 5th, 6th, and 7th grade though.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Aug 10, 2009,
Meh. I swore alot through my childhood (6+). Not really in front of adults (unless it was my dad, because he didn't care) though. By then I knew well enough that if I swore in front of any other family member besides my dad or my uncle I'd be in trouble.

I didn't talk about sex until like 6th or 7th grade though. I was relatively innocent sexually for a while, I got some sex jokes at the time but alot of it went over my head. Hell, when I was 10 I thought a lapdance was a girl getting on your lap and literally dancing. I didn't know how people found it erotic. I lost my sex-talk innocence when I was like... 12.
Quote by Mudmen190

Quote by musiclover2399

Quote by Oroborous

My Last.FM
*Facepalm* Americans....

Hell, not a swear word. DAMN IS NOT A SWEAR WORD. Crap bearly passes as one anymore. You can say that in a primary school class room.

I regularly hear the word "Bitch" and "Sh*t" on TV now. Censorship is dying on Australian TV.
Page 1 of 2