So, I learned "Blooddrunk" by Children of Bodom last week, and some things really seem to confuse me. To my extent of knowledge, the song is in the key of C minor/ Eb Major (Before the little key change). Now, I notice that E keeps reappearing in the song which is out of key. Not that big of deal, but just sort of something that bugs me a little. Now, the chorus, where they all yeah "BLOODDRUNK!" (favorite part), it looks like its either in C major or D minor (I can't tell. I'm not too good at that). That's also pretty out of key. After the key change to D minor, during the solo, there's a speed run that I THINK is in A minor. Now, would someone PLEASE tell me WTF is going on with this song???????
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
You'll find that musicians take advantage of dissonants and still use them in keys where they shouldn't be (hence the E in the parts of the song where it's Eb major). I'm not familiar with Children of Bodom so I'm not sure whether the E you're talking about actually sounds good with what's being played or if it really sounds bad when it's being played.

Of course, there's also the chance that you're not evaluating the key well enough and perhaps they're using some other modes in the song.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 10, 2009,
most songs believe it or not change keys at least once. some jazz songs change keys every 2 measures. for parts of solos out of key, its probably just a passive tone, or they are using modes to get a certain tone to their licks (in your example alexi was probably using a locrian mode, or parts of it)

if you want to learn more on modes, scales, theory in general, check out the site i made (link in my sig). if you like it, im going to be updating it very soon (by the end of the month) with a 'new' look and more content!
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by HoffManCometh
Songs don't stay in the same key all the time, dude. You'll also find that musicians take advantage of dissonants and still use them in keys where they shouldn't be (hence the E in the parts of the song where it's Eb major).

Well, I know that, but they really take this far. And I just realized something too. The song is in C minor for the most part, and the solo is in A minor. If A minor is the relevant minor for C major, then couldn't it be thought of that the song is in C minor, and solo is just C major?
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09
Well, I know that, but they really take this far. And I just realized something too. The song is in C minor for the most part, and the solo is in A minor. If A minor is the relevant minor for C major, then couldn't it be thought of that the song is in C minor, and solo is just C major?

Well, it all depends.. if the solo resolves on the A a lot, it's A minor. If it resolves on the C a lot, it's C Major. Remember this golden rule about scales: Many scales can CONTAIN the same notes, however, the root note (the note that's often being played the most out of a particular scale or being played at the beginning/end of a solo) is the deciding factor for what the key is.

Note that not everyone abides by the rules of keys and often it might be impossible to exactly determine whether it's this major or relative minor. As long as you know the notes in it, you can improvise on top of it. That's probably not your goal in mind, but it's VERY good to know. It's even better to know exactly what the key is since that determines how you're going to approach playing solos.
Last edited by HoffManCometh at Aug 10, 2009,