what are the main differences between the t9, t808, and t9dx tube screamers? i've read that they can be used as a "clean boost" what does this mean?
The ts808 is a bit more mellow than the ts9. The turbo has one extra knob.
A clean boost is setting the gain to zero and turning the level up. This will boost the signal, pushin the tubes in a tube amp harder, providing more tube distortion. You don't need a clean boost if you have a ss amp.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
I haven't played an original Maxon, so I can't comment. They should be similar. The tubescreamers are cheaper.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
The ts808 is a bit more mellow than the ts9. The turbo has one extra knob.
A clean boost is setting the gain to zero and turning the level up. This will boost the signal, pushin the tubes in a tube amp harder, providing more tube distortion. You don't need a clean boost if you have a ss amp.
depends what you mean by mellow. The TS808 has quite a bit more grunt than a TS9 and more gain as well.
The TS808 has a bit more dirt and low end then the TS9 (I personally think it sounds better then the TS9, but not $80 more worth)

The TS9DX is supposed to be a "high gain" TS9. The TS9 was made and sounds best when it is used to boost your signal and add a bit more volume/dirt to your tone, adding too much from the pedal just sounds bad, so I say stay away from the TS9DX.

Clean boost means you sent the pedal at zero (or very low) and just use it to thicken up your sound, this does wonders for single coil guitars.

Thats my $0.02
American Strat:
Area 61 Neck, Area 67 Middle & Bridge
Spretzel Locking Tuners
Graphtech Nut & String Tree
Lots O' Love!

JSX + Orange Cab
Fender Blues Deluxe
Deluxe Memory Man
Fulltone Full Drive 2 & OCD
H2O Chorus/Echo
What would you guys recommend for boosting a JCM 800? Not really looking for saturation, but a Underoath-esque tone.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by djjazzyjames7
which sound better? these or the original maxons?

The original maxons.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900