Budget: $650 is about as far as i can go
Type of music- Something versatile enough, but geared towards hard rock/metal (metallica iron maiden ratt skid row ozzy etc)

I would prefer a half stack don't even try convincing me against one because i already have my mind set on one, it ain't going to budge lol sorry

There's been a few thing's i've had in mind..

The Marshall MG half stack (yes i know that's like saying i love satan to most on here) but i have heard it, and i like it and judging by the rating's ive seen and review's by people who have bought it, it always seem's to have 4 to 5 stars on any website..

Randall Kirk hammet
http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_KH120RHS%20Kirk%20Hammett%204x12%20Guitar%20Amp%20Half%20Stack_-1_10052_10002_-49956949_cmCategorySA182734

one reason, i love kirk hammet, not sure if that is any good though, i'll let you guy's tell me

Raven Rg100H (i've heard mixed thing's so far)

The B-52 half stack and also a peavy windsor tube head i have thought of...

ok so that's about what i have in mind, but i'm sure there's something better that i don't know about, so i need some advice...

i've been keeping my eyes out for a marshall jcm head for a reasonable price, that's what i'd love to have.

I would prefer to buy something off either a online store or ebay, not craigslist, the reason being i'm not old enough for a drivers license so driving a hour away to get a guitar amp ain't happening, and i don't want to bother my parent's with something like that

Thank's for the help guy's, really appreciate it!!

edit:

one other thing, i found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200371325860&_trksid=p2759.l1259

is that any good?
Last edited by camaross427 at Aug 10, 2009,
whats ironic is u said u would make it short and simple, but uh... tl;dr
In speed versus emotional playing, i think of an M16 versus an M24. You can have 650 rounds per minute, or one round, one kill. Both should be in your arsenal.

PSN and XBL: xxWONDERxxBOYxx
Leave a message that you're from UG with your username
Quote by ajreciever14
whats ironic is u said u would make it short and simple, but uh... tl;dr

that kinda went out the window lol..

hmm, i'll make it short and simple..

i have $650 and i want something that kick's ass in half stack form! I love randy rhoad's and kirk hammet and i like when my ear's bleed from sheer loudness!!! there we go that should do it
id go for the head! or any other jcm if you can find one, great amps.

otherwise, ive heard good things about the b52 and the windsor, but neither geared towards metal. you'd really have to try them out to get a good judgement :/
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by TK1
id go for the head! or any other jcm if you can find one, great amps.

otherwise, ive heard good things about the b52 and the windsor, but neither geared towards metal. you'd really have to try them out to get a good judgement :/

I'd go for it but it says Marshall 3310 Mosfet and jcm 800....i'm not the most knowledgeable on this so if you could help me out, is it actually a jcm 800? are they the same thing, or did he accidentely list it as 2 different thing's?

i plan on going to guitar center tomorrow and trying as much stuff out as they have to see for myself what i like and dont' like.
Quote by camaross427
The Marshall MG half stack (yes i know that's like saying i love satan to most on here) but i have heard it, and i like it and judging by the rating's ive seen and review's by people who have bought it, it always seem's to have 4 to 5 stars on any website.

The new Guitar Player Magazine gave it an "Editors Pick" Award on the "13 Half-Stacks for Metal" Article. Funny huh? Music shops loves em, I see em out on the stage ALL the time on the local Gig scene, and yet, I here so much hatred here.

Im sure its founded, for some reason. Built up aggression, digital sounds, whatever the reason, I refuse to admit that there's a Magazine/Media/Musicians Friend conspiracy on our hands.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
The new Guitar Player Magazine gave it an "Editors Pick" Award on the "13 Half-Stacks for Metal" Article. Funny huh? Music shops loves em, I see em out on the stage ALL the time on the local Gig scene, and yet, I here so much hatred here.

Im sure its founded, for some reason. Built up aggression, digital sounds, whatever the reason, I refuse to admit that there's a Magazine/Media/Musicians Friend conspiracy on our hands.

The newer MGs aren't as bad as the older ones but there's still better to be had.

I'd go for the Windsor. They can do metal well with an overdrive pedal, but there's no clean channel to be had, so expect to roll back your volume, switch pickups (possibly) and pick softer.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
If I had it to do over again again id get a Mesa Single or a Dual, whatever was cheaper really. My dream amp is a Mark V, and when I can drop 2G's on an Amp head and still eat, I will.
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
The MGs really aren't that bad amps. The clean channel is good. IMO the only reason it's bad is because of the Drive channel. It's too digital. However, I think the TS could do better with his money. Maybe a used JCM combo.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
So Kirk Hammit endorses and uses a complete SS Rig? Who knew. Anyone played this amp?
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by jc349
IMO the only reason it's bad is because of the Drive channel. It's too digital. However, I think the TS could do better with his money. Maybe a used JCM combo.

That is one of the core reasons the MG is so disliked. Its like the bastard child that no one wants to be left with after the funeral. Its kind of an insult to the brand name of Marshall.

That in addition to the reliability issues.

Oh and yeah, Zakk Wylde endorses it for the muneh and the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE. This I think really throws the MG out the window for many.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by jc349
the only reason it's bad is because of the Drive channel. It's too digital.

FFS, people! Solid state amps are analog and NOT digital.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
FFS, people! Solid state amps are analog and NOT digital.

THANKYOU! God it irritates me so much!

MGs don't sound digital, they sound crap yes, but not digital.

And TS that Marshall is not a JCM 800, it's a solid state head from the 80s (I think).
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
MG = analog technology.
It doesn't sound digital, it sounds compressed and has poor tonal balances in the midrange.
It has a decent clean channel when you spend a good amount of time with it and your guitars controls.
All in all I would still avoid them.

The Mosfet JCM800 is the solid state version of a JCM that uses Mosfet and NOT tubes.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']MG = analog technology.
It doesn't sound digital, it sounds compressed and has poor tonal balances in the midrange.
It has a decent clean channel when you spend a good amount of time with it and your guitars controls.
All in all I would still avoid them.

The Mosfet JCM800 is the solid state version of a JCM that uses Mosfet and NOT tubes.
so i should stay away from the mostfet?
Out of these...the B-52 for sure...but you could do much better with that money if you went used. Just my $.02
Quote by eyebanez333
Out of these...the B-52 for sure...but you could do much better with that money if you went used. Just my $.02

I'm keeping a look out on used, hoping something good pops up!

what are some thing's that i could probably find used that would work very well for me?
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac

The reason that magazine's give the MG good reviews is because they aren't comparing it to anything else. By itself the MG truthfully isn't a bad amp - decent cleans and an okay drive channel (although its tone isn't my cup of tea). However, when you start comparing it to other amps in its price range the MG falls short, big time.

As far as internet reviews - the majority of them are written by guitar n00bz who have no clue what good tone is. They go out and buy an MG because it says "Marshall" on it and think its the greatest amp ever invented.

Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
So Kirk Hammit endorses and uses a complete SS Rig? Who knew. Anyone played this amp?

No. Kirk Hammett uses a signature model of an RM100 (The RM100KH) - tube preamp and power amp. Randall manufactures a cheap SS knock off which, imo, sound completely terrible for the price that you pay.

TS: You should definitely look into a Peavey Windsor with your budget. It is a single channel, British voiced amp (similar to a JCM800) and it should cover your needs. You may wish to grab a boost, like a DigiTech Bad Monkey, just in case you need to push the amp a little harder.
Quote by camaross427
so i should stay away from the mostfet?

Try it out and see if you like it.
Solid State =/= Bad tone
Quote by i_am_metalhead
The reason that magazine's give the MG good reviews is because they aren't comparing it to anything else. By itself the MG truthfully isn't a bad amp - decent cleans and an okay drive channel (although its tone isn't my cup of tea). However, when you start comparing it to other amps in its price range the MG falls short, big time.

As far as internet reviews - the majority of them are written by guitar n00bz who have no clue what good tone is. They go out and buy an MG because it says "Marshall" on it and think its the greatest amp ever invented.

No. Kirk Hammett uses a signature model of an RM100 (The RM100KH) - tube preamp and power amp. Randall manufactures a cheap SS knock off which, imo, sound completely terrible for the price that you pay.

TS: You should definitely look into a Peavey Windsor with your budget. It is a single channel, British voiced amp (similar to a JCM800) and it should cover your needs. You may wish to grab a boost, like a DigiTech Bad Monkey, just in case you need to push the amp a little harder.

Ok, i'll keep it in mind, i got some stuff i can use to boost it a bit if i need
thank you so much for the help so far guys
Just out of of curiosity, why won't you go for a combo? You could get a much better deal that will sound good and be enough to blow your eardrums out. I doubt you'd be using it that loud anyways, unless you play in stadiums or at festivals.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Aren't JCM800's usually in the $2000 range? Why is that one $200?
I'd say look into something Peavey.
Just out of of curiosity, why won't you go for a combo? You could get a much better deal that will sound good and be enough to blow your eardrums out. I doubt you'd be using it that loud anyways, unless you play in stadiums or at festivals.

I will, if i find one in really like, we'll see