I know this is a guitar sight but I bet some of you play piano too especially in this forum. I know all the scales, chords, modes, etc. etc. But I still don't know how to compose a song. I just can't get started because this is the first one I am trying to write. Any experienced writers have any tips for how to use scales and chords for my first song?
Choose a key.
In this example, we'll use C Major.
C Major contains the notes: C, D, E, F, G, A, B (no sharps, and no flats).

A basic chord progression is 1, 4, 5, 1. So, this will be:
C, F, G, C.

Take notes out of each chord to compose a melody. For example, C is comprimised of a C, E, and G.

That's really basic, but it's how I got started. I wrote this quickly. I'll edit it later with something more in-depth.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Last edited by Iriathz at Aug 10, 2009,
Learn about things like the tonal center and the gravity towards the tonic, common chord progressions, cadences and resolutions and how all that stuff works. Look up Marty Friedman's Melodic Control video if you're stuck trying to make a melody. www.musictheory.net has many good lessons.
Quote by Iriathz
Choose a key.
In this example, we'll use C Major.
C Major contains the notes: C, D, E, F, G, A, B (no sharps, and no flats).

A basic chord progression is 1, 4, 5, 1. So, this will be:
C, F, G, C.

Take notes out of each chord to compose a melody. For example, C is comprimised of a C, E, and G.

That's really basic, but it's how I got started. I wrote this quickly. I'll edit it later with something more in-depth.

Thanks