I feel like my sound is thinner than it could/should be. Not sure if there is a technique or pedal I can purchase to give my live sound a little more "bulk".

I use a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier w/ 4x12 cab. Either Gibson SG Standard or ES-335.
Amps:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Vox Valvetronix
Guitars:
Gibson ES-335
Gibson SG Standard
Taylor 214CE
FX:
Tech 21 Killer Wail Wah
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss DD-20 Delay
Line 6 Verbzilla
turn the bass up
switch it to the rhythm pickup
buy "bulkier" pickups
thicker strings
any one of those things should make a difference if i understand you correctly
EMG pickups? With a Dual Recti I'm not sure what else to suggest. Are the mids scooped too much?
Quote by Don't Read This
turn the bass up
switch it to the rhythm pickup
buy "bulkier" pickups
thicker strings
any one of those things should make a difference if i understand you correctly

+1
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Quote by drewfromutah
If your sound is thin with that gear, I really don't know what to tell you!

+1
But in all seriousness, thicker strings.
member 21 of the ug pink floyd fan club
I PWNED VINCENT745 TWICE!!!
SPIDER WATCH
JS30RR
Agile AL3100 Silverburst (w/Entwhistle Dark Stars)
Hotter pickups are usually bassier. You could try that.
But I have no idea how gibsons through a dual rec could sound thin.
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
try a new patch cord? or maybe the amp speaker is going to blow up soon or it isnt set up properly because my amp used to do that and i would change the patch cord and it would sound a bit better but then it blew up a couple weeks ago
Guitars

Dean Soltero USA
Gibson 2014 Les Paul Jr.
Epiphone Prophecy SG (GX? Red with Dirty Fingers?)
More mids,maybe roll off some treble.Considering that's a 100 watt (I'm guessing?) tube amp,how loud are you playing it?
Post your E.Q settings here,we might be able to help you more?'
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
i suggest buying a behringer ultra metal pedal
that **** is crazy
but guitar sounded a bit filmsy and hollow but as soo as you chuck this **** on its full on
great for crunch too
dual rec. shouldnt sound thin for any reason you might want to have it checked out.. or just try some different guitars though it, have some friends play though it and mess with the settings and see what you can come up with. SG's arnt the thickest sounding guitars out there, and by no means is the 335 but still.. dual rec.

also try playing above bedroom volume level if your not.
where do you usually play in relation to your cab?

when im sitting in front of my 4x12 with the slant aimed at my head, im getting a face full of horrible treble with all the bass going into my feet - sounds like ass. take a few steps back or sit/stand to the side.

also, keeping presence down in (relatively) lower volumes helps take some nasty top ring off your tone.
Quote by airbrndeathroll
i suggest buying a behringer ultra metal pedal
that **** is crazy
but guitar sounded a bit filmsy and hollow but as soo as you chuck this **** on its full on
great for crunch too

that's NOT what he's looking for at all.

I really don't know what to suggest - your rig should be incapable of sounding thin, i would've thought. Heavier strings do work a little - i would advise that you at least try stepping up the gauge a little bit. but this is seriously confusing - how are you managing to get a thin sound with that gear?!? i'm actually interested to know. if you tell us how you've got everything set up we may be able to pinpoint the problem.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
This is all about EQ, my friend. I'd suggest starting off with the bass and mids pretty high and go from there. Keep the treble around middle and adjust the EQ until it sounds thicker. More mids usually do the trick though.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
yeah, but maybe you just need to let the bassist thicken up the overall band sound?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by Kurapica
This is all about EQ, my friend. I'd suggest starting off with the bass and mids pretty high and go from there. Keep the treble around middle and adjust the EQ until it sounds thicker. More mids usually do the trick though.

Do that. Don't turn the bass up to high though, cause it'll get muddy. Just put the mids up high to smoothen it and thicken it, a bit like whisking to Angel Delight. Alright.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Kurapica

This.

Also you could roll off some treble with the tone controls on your guitar.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
10-band Eq maybe and raise the mids. Don't use too much bass though.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
thicker strings and eq adjustment should do it. you got a nice amp and some nice guitars, shouldn't be hard to make it sound good unless it's YOU
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
May or may not be relevant because I don't gig but I have helped a band or two for a few gigs (and no, I wasn't the soundman...)

Assuming there are no equipment related issues such as dead strings, bad cables, or dying batteries...

Are you playing solo or with a band or in tandem with another guitarist?

Do you want your sound to sound like a recording of someone else?

Small stage or large hall?

Is it an empty room or a full room?

Are you having an amp war with another guitarist or the bassist?

Are you using a PA and/or stage monitors?

Is it your soundman or the venue's?

If the opening act, are you being forced to set up around the headliner's equipment and therefore have to make do with what stage set-up?

Lots of plausible reasons for a guitar sound to not "sound" like it should in a familiar environment (ie practice space.)
Last edited by irnmadn88 at Aug 10, 2009,