Here's the deal, I need a bedroom amp that is low on wattage but high in tone. I do not need something to play with a drummer or gig with, just something to play in my room and along to some tracks.

I have to have a good CLEAN sound, I am not a fan of the bright-fender clean. I need a warm, smooth clean. I would also appreciate a smooth overdrive sound, something like a Ceriatone Overtone driven sound. I like my sound with a lot of low end and usually have my Bass tone knob cranked. This amp would be going into a Fulltone OCD but feel free to mention any other pedals that work well with a specific amp.

I currently play through a Gibson SG with high output DiMarzio's (super distortion and humbucker from hell) and am looking to soon pickup a Les Paul styled guitar in which case I will be putting vintage output pickups in my SG.

My current amps that I am selling are a Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 50 and a halfstack Orange Tiny Terror. The switchblade was too loud and the tiny terror not versatile enough. My tastes in music have changed a lot and I am not looking for a change in equipment. I like to play blues (clapton, srv, trower, moore), rock (ac/dc, cream, guns n' roses, zz top) and clean jazzy-scale based non-sense. I do have my metal, shredded moments and might pickup a maxon od808 to curb that.

tl;dr

I want a studio volume amp that provides a very warm clean and smooth overdrive.

BUDGET: I am trying not to spend over $1000 dollars and as for used amps, I live in California, USA and would be using the SF Bay Area Craigslist.

Thanks for the help.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
vox ac4 tv 4 watts that can be switched down to 1/4, very good cleans, although it only has three knobs, so an eq pedal would be needed.
gear:
2005 ibanez grg, moded and painted.
2001 gibson sg
fender hot rod deluxe
1985 dunlop cry baby

soon to be gear
vox ac4tv, just need to sell my damn mg
home made fuzz
digitech whammy
marshall jcm 800
^ I'm looking for something a lot more versatile and nicer sounding.

Amps I do not want:
Egnater Rebel 20 or 30 (tried today, very muddy)
Fender Blues Jr. (it really wasn't all the hype made it out to be )
Tiny Terror (not versatile enough, lacking cleans)
peavey classic 30 (fizzy overdrive in my opinion)
Vox ac4 (doesn't have a versatile eq)

Amps I'm interested in:
Vox AC15 w/ AlNiCo Blue
Blackstar HT-5 (hey, it got some killer reviews)
Supro Taurus
Soldano Astroverb (the demos I just heard were unbelievable, a bit out of my budget though)

EDIT: to the ac4
Cornford Harlequin
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Blackstar HT-5.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
If you can find one used (although it's doubtful), a 65 Amps combo with the new master switch (basically a power scale). Another possibility if it's cheap enough be the Peavey Studio Special.

Also, look into the low wattage Cornells like the Romany and Plexi Seven.
Super Champ XD. Plenty of tone options. MF has some kind of Fender call in sale right now. You should be able to get the SCXD with footswitch for no more than $300.
Cornford Harlequin? Not sure if they can be found for <$1000, though.

Blackheart Handsome Devil? Crate Vintage Club? Crate V series, Palomino V series? Epiphone Blues Custom?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Overdrive-Zvex Nano
Cleans-Jazz Chorus

If you go used, you can get both for under $1000. Even if you get the Nano new, you can still probably do it
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by Gibshall
^ I'm looking for something a lot more versatile and nicer sounding.

Amps I do not want:
Egnater Rebel 20 or 30 (tried today, very muddy)
Fender Blues Jr. (it really wasn't all the hype made it out to be )
Tiny Terror (not versatile enough, lacking cleans)
peavey classic 30 (fizzy overdrive in my opinion)
Vox ac4 (doesn't have a versatile eq)

Amps I'm interested in:
Vox AC15 w/ AlNiCo Blue
Blackstar HT-5 (hey, it got some killer reviews)
Supro Taurus
Soldano Astroverb (the demos I just heard were unbelievable, a bit out of my budget though)

EDIT: to the ac4

i highly recommend the rebel. great, versatile amp. get a good cab and you're set.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Fender Princeton recording amp, it has a built-in attenuator and killer cleans, but I've heard good things about the breakup (although you have an OCD already, so whatever haha). I know they're over a grand new, but there's a used one at my local store for $750, so it should be easy enough to find one.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Maybe a Matchless or cheap Bad Cat combo/head?

No such thing
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
A podxt or PodX3? They are great for recording and you can get whatever tone you are after.
Last edited by mindstealer at Aug 10, 2009,
I'm not looking to record, but thanks for these suggestions.
Quote by Jhachey22
i highly recommend the rebel. great, versatile amp. get a good cab and you're set.

+1

The Rebel is alot less muddy with a better cab, trust me

Also these come to mind-

Blackstar HT5
Marshall Studio 15
Vox AC15

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
laney lionheart has amazing cleans but im not sure what the overdrive is like

EDIT: apparently the overdrive is pretty good although it doesnt have enough gain for modern metal
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Last edited by Eggmond at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by Gibshall
I'm not looking to record, but thanks for these suggestions.

Yeah, don't write off the Princeton because it has 'recording' in its name. It would probably hold up pretty well in a club situation.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Eggmond
laney lionheart has amazing cleans but im not sure what the overdrive is like

Or the new Laney Cub. They arent out yet, but the you tube video demo of them is pretty raw and sounds nice
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Another +1 on the Studio 15. Great cleans, built in mini attenuator, sounds like an 800 when you turn the gain up. Awesome little amp.
Another option would be the Egnator Rebel 20, but the OD on that isn't as solid as the marshall.
I'm really liking the Cornford Harlequin demos, to get one under $1000 I'd need to ship from the UK probably. How are the cleans though?