Hi! So I'm pretty set on buying a used Mesa Rectifier head. The thing is, I don't know what the difference between the Single, Dual, and Triple rectifiers is besides the number of channels it has.

I have only tried the Mesa single for about 20-30 minutes but I love the whole "raw" sound it produces, and I don't have an opportunity to try any duals or triples around in my area. And really, I don't think I need anything more than the 50 watts.

The sound I'm going for: anything from poppunk to hardcore.

So should I just stick with the Mesa Single Rectifier head? or should I not overlook the doubles and triples.

Thanks
The single recto is only 2 channels and has no tube rectification, only solid state.

The Dual Recto has 3 channels, solid state and tube rectification and bigger transformers, more wattage, more headroom, bigger sound.

Triple Recto has the same as the dual, just bigger transformers and more wattage. The Triple is the "biggest" sounding of the three.

IMO, an older 2 channel Dual or Triple Recto completely destroys any of the newer ones.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Moar rectifiers = more brootalz.

Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Not necessarily.

If I were buying a new Mesa head, I'd probably go with the Single, it sounds the tightest to my ears, just not as "big", but it still doesn't hold a candle to the old 2 channel Dual/Triples. The Rect-O-Verbs and Trem-O-Verbs, however, are awesome.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The single recto is only 2 channels and has no tube rectification, only solid state.

im pretty sure the single has tubes. i was about to bid on one on ebay the other day and i saw specific photos in the back where it had tubes. im planning on buying this head too. would this be a good head for poppunk?
Quote by nick54321
im pretty sure the single has tubes. i was about to bid on one on ebay the other day and i saw specific photos in the back where it had tubes. im planning on buying this head too. would this be a good head for poppunk?

No, MatrixClaw is correct - the Single Rectifiers only have one form of rectification (diode), hence SINGLE Rectifier.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
No, MatrixClaw is correct - the Single Rectifiers only have one form of rectification (diode), hence SINGLE Rectifier.

Mini thread jack, how do you like your 81 JCM 800? How does it compare to the ones even a year or two after it?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Mini thread jack, how do you like your 81 JCM 800? How does it compare to the ones even a year or two after it?

I played an '83 and it was pretty much the same as this one, but it was a 2203 and he wanted over $1100 for it so I didn't take it.

I think it's a fantastic amp. Very touch-responsive, great tone with the Master up, and - I know I'm going to take some flak for this - pretty versatile.

With pedals you can get lots of different tones out of it quite easily, and if you want low gain stuff like Hendrix, just plug into the Low input and crank the living hell out of the Master. Pretty Plexi-ish with that input trick.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Ah, I want one so bad. Im selling my Orange and buying one as soon as someone is selling one in the area, I'd rather not buy over craigslist. I'm also picking up an OD808 like you have, is there any others that would work better with the 800 in your opinion?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Ah, I want one so bad. Im selling my Orange and buying one as soon as someone is selling one in the area, I'd rather not buy over craigslist. I'm also picking up an OD808 like you have, is there any others that would work better with the 800 in your opinion?

Personally I think an 808-modded SD-1 is the ultimate boost pedal for the 800.

Quote by nick54321

Uhh it has tubes (6L6 & 12AX7), not rectifier tubes. It will do pop punk just fine.

^ not a mini thread jack anymore
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
Last edited by occub at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Personally I think an 808-modded SD-1 is the ultimate boost pedal for the 800.

Just looked that up, said it's supposed to make and SD-1 sound like an 808. Is that better than a regular 808?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by dcdossett65
Just looked that up, said it's supposed to make and SD-1 sound like an 808. Is that better than a regular 808?

The SD-1 has some bass loss, which makes up for the boominess some Marshalls can have with mahogany guitars.

Get the single rectifier, i'll probably take one over the dual. 50 watt is enough, even for gigs and specially if the club has a PA system. And my other statement is totally personnal preference but i like 2 channels over 3. I'll probably go for a rectoverb though.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by occub
Uhh it has tubes (6L6 & 12AX7), not rectifier tubes. It will do pop punk just fine.

^ not a mini thread jack anymore

Uhh, of course its a tube amp. The point was that the amps rectification is solid state as opposed to being switchable between tube or solid state like the Dual and Triple.

Id go for the Dual myself, but as said earlier, if you can find a two channel Dual or Triple, go for it
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Uhh, of course its a tube amp. The point was that the amps rectification is solid state as opposed to being switchable between tube or solid state like the Dual and Triple.

Id go for the Dual myself, but as said earlier, if you can find a two channel Dual or Triple, go for it

90% of tube amps has SS tube rectification.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
90% of tube amps has SS rectification.

Fixed. Your post made no sense.

Quote by bubb_tubbs
Fixed. Your post made no sense.

yeah, that's what i wanted to say.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by AmericanParadox
yeah, that's what i wanted to say.

I figured as much.

Quote by IsThereLoveInSp

Thank you captain obvious, he said he looked at the back and saw tubes. He was confused and didn't understand the difference between pre/power/rect.
Epi Les Paul-APH1/Mean 90
MIM Strat

Korg DTR1000
ADA MP-1
Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre
Mesa/Boogie Midi Matrix
<power amp>

Quote by rhcp_freak
If you're EQ'd loose, you'll sound loose anyway.
so I guess I'm pretty set on buying a single rectifier head then. but how do you guys feel about the first series and the current one. (the difference is between the tube switching thingy?)
If you can find a series II, that way you have the option to use EL34 as well as 6L6 power tubes. series can only use 6L6. Plus I think the Series II has the Raw mode which is not on Series I. Series II has more options.

You should really try a Dual as well. More headroom for you clean channel and I think they sound bigger because of the larger power transformers
Last edited by Muramasa at Aug 10, 2009,
Its all personal preference when it comes to rectifiers. I personally like the sound and extra channel that the Dual/Triple offers but you may like the Single better. If I were you I would buy the Dual Rectifier because its not as loud as the Triple Rectifier but still is very similar.
My Rig
Mesa Triple Rectifier Half Stack
Jackson USA King V 2
1988 American Made Strat
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/Bigsby
Line 6 Spider III 75 Watt
Single recto can be very hardcore too. Tight sound out of this amp.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
You can always reduce the wattage of the Dual to 50 watts by pulling out two of the power tubes, which is what i do, and it sounds great =]
Current Gear
Ibanez Prestige S2170SE
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Blackface Head
Soldano 4x12 Slant Cab w/ Eminence Speakers
MXR ZW-44

Want List:
ISP Decimator
Nova Repeater
Maxon OD808
Seymour Duncan Blackouts
The single rec rocks, I've had mine just over three weeks and I'm loving everything it sings, it's truly beautiful.

I personally couldn't tame the dual, but that's just me, it was a little too loud for my applications in fairness. The Single suits my needs completely and it has such a nice tone. Don't worry about the Tube rectifiers, as has been said already, most amps have solid state rectifiers like the single does, so in my opinion it doesn't bother me. The only thing I'll say is that having SS rectifiers suits my style of music more because I believe it sounds tighter without the tube rectifiers.

As for the style of music your playing, it's perfect.

I would advise a 2x12/4x12 mesa cab, I have the 2x12 and it's simply a stunning setup.

Good luck!