The song is called Mary-Lou, by Sonata Arctica. I've always played it using a tab and according to the tab, it's in Dm. But when i listen to their live version, or studio version, it sounds like a different key, it's much lower. Is the tab incorrect, or did Sonata Arctica transpose the song to a lower key after a while of playing it? What are the correct chords?

Here's the song i'm talking about
Probably something to do with tuning. I'm guessing the tab's right but it doesn't state the tuning that Sonata Arctica use, or you're just not tuned to it.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Guitar Pro files on this site say the song is in D# standard for the electric version
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Poglia
You have to tune your guitar in Eb, a half step down.

Same thing
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
And let's say they played it in Eb both live and in the studio, and you played it in E. It's not like it's wrong. And a key that close.... nobody would even notice, save for the 1/100 musicians (or 1/1000 people) who have perfect pitch. And out of them.... only 1% of them would even care.

Don't sweat it.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
And let's say they played it in Eb both live and in the studio, and you played it in E. It's not like it's wrong. And a key that close.... nobody would even notice, save for the 1/100 musicians (or 1/1000 people) who have perfect pitch. And out of them.... only 1% of them would even care.

Don't sweat it.

CT

Ah, thanks . However, it doesn't sound very good when playing along with the original song. I've always had trouble with Eb tunings though, are you saying all songs in Eb sound just as good in standard tuning?
The intervals will always be the same, no matter what key you play in, and that's what defines a song.
It will sound terrible with the original song because everything will be one fret off.

But play it by yourself, or with a band when everyone else is in the same key.... yer totally fine.

Nobody will notice nor care.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by robinlint
Ah, thanks . However, it doesn't sound very good when playing along with the original song. I've always had trouble with Eb tunings though, are you saying all songs in Eb sound just as good in standard tuning?

As long as they're transposed properly. It's like when a woman sings a song originally written by man; she's still playing the same song, but higher.
Most Eb stuff be played in E fine, however, anything lower then Db or so, I find sounds very off when played in standard.
Thanks, that opens up a lot more songs to me that i wanted to play, but were all in Eb.