So i sold an amp on ebay and the reverb pot has apparantly gone on it. It was working before i sent it. He paid for the postage and never took insurance on it. He wants me to pay for repairs. The guy who bought it was from Europe and didnt declare that before buying.

Anyway typically are reverb capacitors or whatever they are, cheap and easy to fix? Do you think i should get him to pay half of repairs?
Don't pay for anything, he didn't make the transaction safe enough.. his fault
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by bucketmark
Don't pay for anything, he didn't make the transaction safe enough.. his fault

This.
It sucks for him, but it's his own fault really
Quote by Serg1
So i sold an amp on ebay and the reverb pot has apparantly gone on it. It was working before i sent it. He paid for the postage and never took insurance on it. He wants me to pay for repairs. The guy who bought it was from Europe and didnt declare that before buying.

Anyway typically are reverb capacitors or whatever they are, cheap and easy to fix? Do you think i should get him to pay half of repairs?

Did you state in your ebay auction that international bidders need to contact you before bidding? Was it sold as is or with a return policy?

Yeah, but basically what everybody else said. He didn't take out the insurance on it and that's his fault.

I wouldn't pay for anything. His fault
As it was shipped so far more likely its the tank itself vs the pot. He didnt want to pay for the insurance so its pretty much on him now. Its not like it expensive, my wife sent something to china with 200$ insurance and it was .75 cents. He could make problems tho with your ebay rating, people do this alot ransom your feedback to get more than they initially pay for. And if you used paypal he could make problems there to.

Ebay can be a great way sell things and sometimes it can be a royal pain in the butt.
If he used paypal (which he probably did on an ebay transaction) then he will be able to file a dispute, send it back and get his money back, if that's what he wants. You, the shipper, are responsible for shipping claims, and if an item is damaged in transit it's your responsibility, regardless of who paid for it or what instructions he gave.

Always get insurance if you're the shipper, but don't ever send the guy money if he claims it's broken. Ask him to return the item and you'll refund the purchase price.
Quote by pak1351
If he used paypal (which he probably did on an ebay transaction) then he will be able to file a dispute, send it back and get his money back, if that's what he wants. You, the shipper, are responsible for shipping claims, and if an item is damaged in transit it's your responsibility, regardless of who paid for it or what instructions he gave.

Always get insurance if you're the shipper, but don't ever send the guy money if he claims it's broken. Ask him to return the item and you'll refund the purchase price.

Not entirely true. Paypal will not put the dispute through if it's a shipping claim (especially if there was no insurance and the item was working when it was sent). How do you know that his "power converter" from 110 to 220 didn't fry the reverb pot?

Paypal will do nothing.

Also, it is NOT the responsibility of the shipper if the item had no insurance on it, and there was nothing done by the receiver otherwise.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Its his own fault. Thats the reason insurance is offered - if he declined the insurance then its his problem to deal with.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Not entirely true. Paypal will not put the dispute through if it's a shipping claim (especially if there was no insurance and the item was working when it was sent). How do you know that his "power converter" from 110 to 220 didn't fry the reverb pot?

Paypal will do nothing.

Also, it is NOT the responsibility of the shipper if the item had no insurance on it, and there was nothing done by the receiver otherwise.

hmm, I dunno man, unless he has a certain number of transactions and feedback, paypal will normally hold the money until the seller confirms he got the item, or leaves positive feedback. There are all kinds of new rules for sellers that heavily weighs it in favor of the buyer, so much so that buyers can scam sellers at this point.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
hmm, I dunno man, unless he has a certain number of transactions and feedback, paypal will normally hold the money until the seller confirms he got the item, or leaves positive feedback. There are all kinds of new rules for sellers that heavily weighs it in favor of the buyer, so much so that buyers can scam sellers at this point.

****...I forgot about the changes...... good point dude. They may hold the money.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
****...I forgot about the changes...... good point dude. They may hold the money.

I don't like the new rules at all actually, not being able to leave negative feedback as a seller sucks, and the whole paypal thing with chargebacks can get ridiculous. I've known a few sellers that were scammed with buyers saying they never got the item. Paypal has a definite tendency to rule in favor of the buyer, so it attracts new buyers to ebay. It sucks to sell on there these days if you aren't a big store, they are pushing the old "garage sale" idea right off ebay.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Paypal will do nothing.

From my experience, if a buyer claims 'item received not as described' it will indeed result in a refund, regardless of where the item was damaged, or if it is even actually damaged. You don't know what caused the issue, or even if there is a legitimate issue at this point. All you have is the seller claiming that here is an issue, and the buyer claiming that the issue did not exist before sending it out. If he files a paypal dispute, it will end with a refund and the return of the amp. This may indeed be a scam trying to get extra money, it's in the seller's interest to simply tell him to return the amp instead of sending the guy additional money. Besides, a pot is around five bucks.

If there's no insurance, then there's not going to be a shipping claim, but the seller can still claim that the item arrived not as described. It's the responsibility of the seller to ensure that the item gets to the buyer problem-free. If there is a shipping claim, they will only talk to the shipper, the recipient will receive a visit for them to look at the packaging, but that's it. They're not involved, the company will instruct the recipient to talk to the shipper for updates, and they won't receive any money from the shipping company even if they paid for the shipping, it will be refunded to the shipper if the claim ends in their favor. If there's no insurance that's not an issue, but it's the shipper's responsibility to ensure the item reaches the buyer, regardless of whether the recipient wants insurance, wants you to lie on customs forms, or wants you to hand-deliver it.
Quote by Serg1
its all good he fixed it

good deal.

couple rules for the future:

1. always use insurance, it shouldn't be optional.

2. use a shipping company that has tracking, and always use a signature confirmation.

3. make sure the shipping company has signature confirmation that is online so that paypal can verify it. They will side in favor of a buyer if they can't look at a signature confirmation online. That way a buyer can claim he/she never got the item, and you get screwed out of the money and the item.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Serg1
i never shipped it it was the buyer who shipped

I wouldn't let the buyer make all the shipping arrangements either, then you have no documentation at all if something screws up. That's why you list a shipping price on ebay.
amp clips
amp vids