I found a song on youtube ("To Zanarkand", from Final Fantasy X) that I REALLY want to learn. Problem is, I can´t figure out how the tabs work!

Youtube-link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33U99DokD_U

Link to tabs (it says in the videos that these are the tabs used):
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fd053d1d0ab974939bf8d6369220dcabe04e75f6e8ebb871

For example, there seem to be several notes missing 0.10 to about 0.14 in the tab!

Please help, because I´ve wanted to learn this song for years, and this happens to be the best version I´ve found!

I have Guitarpro, so if someone wants to tab it there then go ahead

Edit: fixed link
Last edited by Magic7 at Aug 10, 2009,
Love that song. Love the game it's from.

But if notes are missing, I know one of the tabs on this site is 100% accurate (because I learnt it from there, played it along with the actual track on CD)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=to+zanarkand&w=songs

Plus, you realise the original is on piano?
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Love that song. Love the game it's from.

But if notes are missing, I know one of the tabs on this site is 100% accurate (because I learnt it from there, played it along with the actual track on CD)

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?s=to+zanarkand&w=songs

Plus, you realise the original is on piano?

Yeah, but I thought this one looked alot easier. Which one did you play? There are many different versions.

Yes, I know the original is on piano, but that seems a bit to tricky to learn.

Edit: is this the one you know? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_computer_games/final_fantasy_x_-_to_zanarkand_ver2_tab.htm
I have a feeling it was this one: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/m/misc_computer_games/final_fantasy_x_to_zanarkand_power_tab.htm

The 'theme 2' section is a bit slow on the tab, but the notes are right.

And don't worry about the ending, the track just repeats and fades
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Aug 10, 2009,
There are two "guitars" playing. Which one is the correct if you just want to play by yourself and still have it sounding good?

Sorry, but that felt a bit confusing. Sometimes guitar 1 plays, sometimes guitar 2. I just want to play the complete song like in the first video
He's playing a mix of both parts, playing a chord from one guitar then the lead bits from the other. Sorry for confusing . What I did was play the chord that was underneath and then play the other sections. Literaly mix the two guitar parts together, so it sounds very close to the piano original, just with the chords underneath not lasting as long
I´ll try that :P

The thing is, I´ve started to enjoy the whole fingerpicking on acoustic guitars. It just feels so relaxing to play. And when I found this video, I thought hey, why not learn a great song aswell as praciticing fingerpicking?

But I guess it´s more important to just learn the song.
You can still finger pick: just move the lead parts up a few strings and lower it by one octave and just finger pick
Quote by pigeonmafia
You can still finger pick: just move the lead parts up a few strings and lower it by one octave and just finger pick

I´m really not that good :P
Give it a go anyway! Gotta learn somehow, might aswell do it on this AMAZING song
Quote by pigeonmafia
Give it a go anyway! Gotta learn somehow, might aswell do it on this AMAZING song

Yeah, but I don´t have any idea how to lower notes and change octaves and stuff. So far, I´ve just read tabs, and it have worked pretty well

I don´t even know how to pick chords. Say a certain song has the chords G, Am, and D. How do I know where to pick?
Some songs here on UG just have the chords, and it says to fingerpick. But I really dont know HOW. Is there a certain pattern?

Edit: Like the song "Lean on me" It´s picked, but http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/b/bill_withers/lean_on_me_crd.htm only shows the chords
to move up a string, asin to a higher pitched string, you take 5 off of the fret number (each string is 5 semitones higher in pitch than the last, in standard tuning). To lower by an octave, you take 12 off the fret number (there are 12 notes).

To pick chords, you literaly hold a chord shape, and only pick individual strings at a time. Theres no normal pattern that I'm aware of, people just play the notes of a chord one at a time in a certain order that makes the sound they like. My fave sound is to pick each note in order, starting from the bass note. But then, I'm a big metal fan, so I like the eerie feel you can get from that . Same with starting on the highest note, and then picking downwards.
link

this is the music i used to learn it.
just click 'sheet music download'
i think it has tab, but if not, you can easily put it into powertab or guitar pro by making sure the notes match up

edit: as for your other question, about which notes to pick. its just a matter of listening to the song. the tab which has given you the chords, either the picking is reasonably simple, or the tabber was just trying to make you think for yourself a bit.
it just comes with practise

edit2: and to the post above, not all strings are 5 frets apart, so to speak. going from the g-string to the b-string is only 4 frets apart, though, the rest are 5 apart.
Last edited by Winsbury at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by Winsbury
link

this is the music i used to learn it.
just click 'sheet music download'
i think it has tab, but if not, you can easily put it into powertab or guitar pro by making sure the notes match up

Yeah, that´s the tabs I´m talking about I just removed all the other songs and uploaded "To Zanarkand" only.

But if you watch/listen to the video, then read the tabs, you´ll see that it doesn´t seem right. Or I´m just really confused right now...

On the second row it goes:

------------------------------------
---------------0---------0-------
---0---------------------------------
------0------------------------------
---------2---------------------------
------------3------------------------

But again, watch the video, and you´ll see that alot of the notes are missing.

if your talking about the bit i think you are (right near the start), then the

------
------
-0---
--0--
---2-
is wrong. (i think you may be reading the tab wrong, wrote the tab wrong accidentally, or otherwise your talking about a different bit )

it should be..

----
-0-
-0-
-2-
-3-
---- the difference being all the notes are played at the same time, and you were playing it on the wrong strings. hopefully you understand what im sayin here

as for not all the notes being there, keep in mind its originally piano. and you want pretty much all the notes to ring out to make it feel right. this means it cant be to 'busy' else the notes will all sound disjointed. So it won't sound exactly the same as the original version