Hey...

I've been playing guitar for about 5 months now, and I would consider myself somewhat proficient (MOP, Perfect Insanity...)...anyway I was just thinking, about how long do you think it would take me to get to a level where I am proficient enough to gig at bass and can play a few somewhat challenging or intermediate songs...I have never played bass before but I believe it would be an excellent skill to acquire due to the large number of guitarists and the considerably smaller amount of bassists...Anyway, just give me any feedback/comments/advice if you can...

Thanks
It's impossible to tell you how long it will take. Guitar is different from bass- just because you can learn quickly on guitar doesn't mean it'll happen on bass. Sure, there are similar techniques, but the applications are different- there's a difference between a bassist, and a person playing bass guitar. Challenging is subjective.

Master of Puppets after 5 months? Is it clean? To speed? Plus solos?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
It's impossible to tell you how long it will take. Guitar is different from bass- just because you can learn quickly on guitar doesn't mean it'll happen on bass. Sure, there are similar techniques, but the applications are different- there's a difference between a bassist, and a person playing bass guitar. Challenging is subjective.

Master of Puppets after 5 months? Is it clean? To speed? Plus solos?

Thats what I was thinking. Proficient after 5 months? Just playing the rythm maybe, and I doubt it's all perfectly clean. NO chance it's with solos aswell
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by pigeonmafia
Thats what I was thinking. Proficient after 5 months? Just playing the rythm maybe, and I doubt it's all perfectly clean. NO chance it's with solos aswell

For the record, I wasn't accusing. I was just wondering. TS, it's important to make the distinction between knowing a song and playing the song. From experience, even personal experience, the two are often mixed up in the young player.
yeah...my bad...i definitely should have mentioned I can't do the solo...sorry about that...I wasn't trying to imply that I could...anyway...Thanks for the advice though...

and I do practice clean...I only use distortion when practicing with someone or if I just feel like screwing around...if not I learn the song and play it clean and then try to work up to speed
oh ya bad use of "proficient" earlier by the way...probly should have still learning or something just was trying to say that I have some idea of what im doing
When we say clean, we mean play it without any unwanted string noise. Practice with distortion more, or chances are you won't hear the excess string noise.

But as for the bass question, depends on your definition of challenging. My bassist can play Everytime I die on bass after a few months, and he would say thats a challenging song. But then thats nothing compared to combustion by Meshuggah. What kind of songs did you have in mind?
well...i was thinking for whom the bell tolls, MOP, perfect insanity Smells Like Teen Spirit ( i've heard thats easy), Enter Sandman then maybe some fat lip, dammit type stuff which is rather easy on guitar
thanks for the tip about playing it with distortion...in that sense i can play MOP clean i either mute all of the
2 2.3.4.3.22 part be heard
01 ... or just mute the 01 and let the
Not toooo long then I imagin, about as long as it's taken you to get this far with guitar ,assuming your hands hav good reach already, and you play bass with a pick. If you wanna play finger style or slap then longer
Heh, it really is a shame that music isnt a video game where every technique has a quest chain and the side quests are the songs and you can just power level your way through using a guide you got off a forum. That would be kinda sweet eh? Even though it would create the kind of bland character base that a mmo has ... but still personally sweet.

Why is it that you expressed more of an interest in how long it takes to do something instead of just accomplishing it? Seems kinda silly.

Anyway, you can probably gig as a bass player right now ... just dont expect to be awesome . The more challenging stuff should take as long as it takes relative to your effort and efficiency through practicing and your motive.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
So you said in the OP that you can play MOP, but actually, you can only play the rhythm, and that isn't even perfect?

Yeah, very proficent.
Originally Posted by Lollage123
So you said in the OP that you can play MOP, but actually, you can only play the rhythm, and that isn't even perfect?

Yeah, very proficent.

Hey...my bad...i wasn't trying to make myself sound all great I just didn't really think to specify just the rhythm to MOP so...my bad there...

Your right "profecient" was a poor word choice but hey it was early in the morning and im not perfect...
Quote by footballsean13
Originally Posted by Lollage123

Yeah, very proficent.

Hey...my bad...i wasn't trying to make myself sound all great I just didn't really think to specify just the rhythm to MOP so...my bad there...

Your right "profecient" was a poor word choice but hey it was early in the morning and im not perfect...

Hey,

I went from guitar to bass but I've still got tonnes to learn. If you want to gig then you definitely want to be proficient otherwise you won't stand out. It also means that you have to write interesting bass lines otherwise you aren't be going to be getting much action. I also think 'feel' has a lot to do with it and I'm awful at it.

I know accurate tabs are hard to find but I started feeling awesome when I could play the following simple songs with ALL of the fills and variations.

Led Zep - Rock and Roll
Cream - White Rooms
Free - Wishing Well
Steppenwolf - Born to Be Wild

Only then can you say you are 'classically' trained lol

Classic rock trained

Playing stuff like 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' and 'Enter Sandman' shouldn't take much time I guess.

Keep on practicing until you put the rest of your band to shame
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?