Hello guys
I'm after a bit of info and know U.G is the place to go for such assistance.

Right I recently bought an emg 81 to replace one of the stock pickups on my jackson js30 warrior, I put it in the bridge position and soldered one wire to volume pot and other to tone. I already had a stereo jack so i just soldered the batery pack to it.I used the pots i already had instead of the ones that came with the 81 was this a mistake? it sounds amazing....compared to stock but by leaving the old pots in am i getting full use of her? A guitar tech told me if you wire a new pickup wrong you can end up with a very thin sound is this true as i thought it was wire it wrong = no sound at all. can someone give me some reassurence or tell me im a fool and let me know the correct procedure for fixing it.

Ps the pikup sounds realy nice but im worried i could be getting more.
Thanks in advance for any help.
You have to change the pots.
Theres a good chance there different ohms.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Cpt-Rhodes
Hello guys
I'm after a bit of info and know U.G is the place to go for such assistance.

Right I recently bought an emg 81 to replace one of the stock pickups on my jackson js30 warrior, I put it in the bridge position and soldered one wire to volume pot and other to tone. I already had a stereo jack so i just soldered the batery pack to it.I used the pots i already had instead of the ones that came with the 81 was this a mistake? it sounds amazing....compared to stock but by leaving the old pots in am i getting full use of her? A guitar tech told me if you wire a new pickup wrong you can end up with a very thin sound is this true as i thought it was wire it wrong = no sound at all. can someone give me some reassurence or tell me im a fool and let me know the correct procedure for fixing it.

Ps the pikup sounds realy nice but im worried i could be getting more.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Using high resistance pots on an active won't hurt the tone one bit. In a 1-volume 1-tone guitar like yours, the advantage to using the lower resistance pots supplied by EMG would be a slight improvement of hum/noise rejection when the volume is rolled down. You've also probably noticed your tone control doesn't have as much effect on the active as it does the passive, yeah?

Unless you change your other pickup to an active, you're right where you wanna be. The passive will sound like mud if you change to low resistance pots.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
thanks very much, just needed some reassurance.its such a huge improvement over stock pickup.doesn't help my amp doesn't do the emg any favors...being so incredibly ****ty!
I will be getting another active soon any suggestions to go with 81. play lots of stuff but mostly death thrash and doom/sabbathish.etc