Im looking for a cheap guitar to play delay-based ambient type stuff, kind of like Tool. I'll be using guitar rig 3 mostly. I'm gonna need decent sustain. Any ideas? I had a Squier Tele and I loved it, but i'm not sure it has the right sound for this project. I tried an ibanez and i HATED the action, but it just might have been dirty.
Yamaha Pacifica, or something off Rondomusic, good place to look for such a tight budget.

One other recommendation I'd like to give are the Fernandes Retro Rockets. My friend has the X, mighty fine quality for such a low price. Note that not all are under or equal to $200.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Under 200 is a little low, but u could get a decent BC Rich for around that price or maybe a little higher like around 250 or 300, but most guitars under 200 arent gonna meet ur standards
Quote by the_krahe
Im looking for a cheap guitar to play delay-based ambient type stuff, kind of like Tool. I'll be using guitar rig 3 mostly. I'm gonna need decent sustain. Any ideas? I had a Squier Tele and I loved it, but i'm not sure it has the right sound for this project. I tried an ibanez and i HATED the action, but it just might have been dirty.

You hated the action? That's like trying a guitar and saying you don't like the feel of the strings. You can alter the action
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Entry level Cort G series would get you a well made fat strat for just about $200. Might be a better deal than the cheap Rondo models. Or go used.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

The action can be classified as how the frets feel and how easily you can move your fingers around the fretboard.. as well as a few other things. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Quote by pigeonmafia
You hated the action? That's like trying a guitar and saying you don't like the feel of the strings. You can alter the action
Quote by BcRichRocker1
Under 200 is a little low, but u could get a decent BC Rich for around that price or maybe a little higher like around 250 or 300, but most guitars under 200 arent gonna meet ur standards

Thats the thing, I just said that I had a squier tele and I loved it - so why wouldnt a 200 or less guitar be good enough? I recall that guitar being right at 200.
Quote by the_krahe
Thats the thing, I just said that I had a squier tele and I loved it - so why wouldnt a 200 or less guitar be good enough? I recall that guitar being right at 200.

You could actually go for another Squier if you want, a Strat this time around, but you might need HSS, and I'm not sure if Squier's come in HSS formation (don't see why not).

Possibly, a second-hand Epiphone if you can go used.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Quote by ZeroCS
You could actually go for another Squier if you want, a Strat this time around, but you might need HSS, and I'm not sure if Squier's come in HSS formation (don't see why not).

Possibly, a second-hand Epiphone if you can go used.

What is HSS? A strat is a real possibility.. What do you guys think about the Epiphone Les Paul Special II? It's around 170 i think.
Get a Squier Affinty Fat strat.

HSS/Fat Strat means it has a Bridge humbucker which you really need for tool type stuff.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by the_krahe
The action can be classified as how the frets feel and how easily you can move your fingers around the fretboard.. as well as a few other things. Sorry if you misunderstood.

Ah okay, I thought you literaly ment the string height. Sorry!
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by random_B-RAD
Get a Squier Affinty Fat strat.

HSS/Fat Strat means it has a Bridge humbucker which you really need for tool type stuff.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510629

So.. that one? It has a bridge humbucker but it doesent say HSS anywhere. Is HSS a model made by fender? I see one for 700 bucks with HSS in the name.
Quote by BCRICHROCKER1

Ive been in Germany on vacation and it appears while I was gone UG gained some more idiots.

Quote by KoenDercksen
A decent BC Rich for under $200.

This. BC Richs are generally **** below the $600- $800 range. You nedd a YAMAHA PACIFICA!
Better, Faster, Stronger

Kansas City Chiefs

Kansas State Wildcats
Quote by airbrendie
Hey guys in the last 3 weeks I ****ed all the girls in this picture, what do you think?

Quote by the_krahe
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510629

So.. that one? It has a bridge humbucker but it doesent say HSS anywhere. Is HSS a model made by fender? I see one for 700 bucks with HSS in the name.

yeah, that's the one i'd recommend for anyone who wants a HSS under $200, but someone beat me to it.
Squier Bullet Strat - Fiesta Red
Ibanez PF5 series Acoustic Electric
Fender Bullet 15 practice amp
Looks like im going with the Affinity Fat Strat. Thanks for the help guys.
Cort G Series, ftw.
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Yamaha Pacifica or go used.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by the_krahe

Just so you know, HSS stands for Humbucker, Single Coil, Single Coil. That means there is a Humbucker (or "Double Coil") pickup closest to the bridge and the other two pickups (the middle and neck pickups) are Single Coils pickups. You can also get guitars in HSH which means Humbucker, Single Coil, Humbucker. It's just a short way to say what the pickups configuration is. It's not a special feature or anything, just the pickup configuration.

I don't know if i would reccomend any strat style guitar for sustain. Generally they have terrible sustain. Getting an HSS will increase the sustain for your Bridge pickup, but the other pickups will still have bad sustain. For great sustain, you should go with a Les Paul style guitar. I wouldn't reccomend any of the lower end Epiphone Models, as they tend to have terrible quality. I personally have one of their Middle-Range guitars and it cost me about $600 with the case. I would reccomend that, but your budget won't support it, so if you really want something of any quality, you might have to spend some more money.
Used RG120?
Sending a dummy to my God.