Hey guys long time no see (if you even remember me :p

I'm thinking about making some youtube covers and I need some recording equipment and software. What would you guys recommend?

I have $250AU to spend TOPS!!!

And yes I know theres a Recording sub-forum but I posted in there once and never got a reply
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I posted a topic like this in the recording forum. They never answered my question, so OT but how woruld you match your recording up with your video, if you recortded with an interface.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Buy Guitar Rig 3, any USB interface, and download the free version of Kristal. Works GREAT for me....
Gear:
Epiphone G400/L6 Spider III 15
Squier CV J-Bass/Acoustic B20
Misc. pedals

Currently saving for:
Acoustic B200

Funds:
$125/$350

Quote by m4l666
I play hard, like death metal hard

Get the USB interface, use Audacity (free to use) to record [you can play along with your mp3 song], use any video camera with decent graphics to record yourself playing, and use a video editor like Windows Media Maker, to sync up the video with the audio.
Ok makes sense, how much are M-AUDIO usb interfaces?
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
I have some videos on youtube, and I used the line out of my BXR100 into a M-Audio Fastrack Pro. http://www.youtube.com/user/stinger12345#play/uploads

You can decide if you like how it sounds, personally I do. The M-Audio Fast Track Pro sells for $200 USD on musiciansfriend, which is right up your alley. You can get them even cheaper on the Bay, which is where I got mine.

Quote by fatgoogle
I posted a topic like this in the recording forum. They never answered my question, so OT but how woruld you match your recording up with your video, if you recortded with an interface.

You just go into some video editing software, take out the videos audio track (personally, I don't even record audio with the video, just need the M-Audio track). Then match up the video with the audio recording. Then, if you want, you can add the original band recording, match it up and turn the bass WAY down, and even volume down a little bit. It can be tedius, but not really too hard.

And please excuse my cheap plug
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Last edited by stinger12345 at Aug 11, 2009,
Ok, what should I get? I'm new to this sorta stuff and have no idea what I need
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
A cumputer, an audio interface, a camera, a recording program. Some skill,
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I meant what exact product, like a suggestion
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Long time no see man!

IMO Kristal works better than Audacity, but they both have their perks.

As far as the interface, I was very impressed the Line 6 POD Studio models. Very good for the price, and they come with POD Farm, which can be fun.
Nope, no sig here.
someone remembers me! I havent heard many good things about their amps, would it be the same with all their products?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
When I do a youtube cover I use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI and put that INTO and M-Audio interface then into garageband. Works great for me.
sonsie: get Line 6 POD Studio. Even the cheap GX will be more than good enough for you.
Line 6 equipment isn't bad either. Their amp is good for their price. Bass and guitar.

Get the GX for like $99 bucks. Thats all you need. Plug your instrument cable into that and that goes USB into the computer. The GX comes with many different bass "amp" and "cab" so you can tweak your tone with that. "5 thumping bass amps with 5 cabs". And 29 essential stompbox and studio effects and 6 mic preamps

It includes Ableton® Live Lite Line 6 Studio Edition 8-track recording software and RiffWorks™ T4 recording software. So you don't need to buy or download any other recording software.
But it is "Ideal for use with Ableton® Live, Cubase®, Logic®, Garageband®, Pro Tools®, Cakewalk® and other pro recording platforms"

After you get this, all you need is a video camera and Windows Movie Maker to fit your recorded song with the real MP3 and your video.

Upload. Done.

EDIT. You could also go on EBAY and look for Line 6 Toneport GX, UX1 or UX2. The Toneport GX is only $50. It's pretty much the same as the Studio, just cheaper.
Last edited by gwath42 at Aug 11, 2009,
Quote by gwath42
sonsie: get Line 6 POD Studio. Even the cheap GX will be more than good enough for you.

I have to agree, I have the UX1, and it's pretty awesome, even though I wont touch their amps.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
hm, I used an M-Box (protools) once, but I didn't keep the recording (and my brother had to give the M-Box back to his friend, he was only borrowing it). It was pretty neat. If you have a firewire port, I suggest trying to find a little 4 band mixing board or something.

meh, that's just my idea.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Thanks for all your help guys and sorry about missing your post stinger, I'm going to look into the POD Studio devices (my guess is that it goes GX, UX1, UX2 from worst to best?) and the M-Audio fast track pro, you had a great tone stinger.

Also how do these devices balance? Because say I want to slap and pop and the play finger style for the chorus, will I just have to sacrifice volume for the chorus?
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Quote by sonsie
Thanks for all your help guys and sorry about missing your post stinger, I'm going to look into the POD Studio devices (my guess is that it goes GX, UX1, UX2 from worst to best?) and the M-Audio fast track pro, you had a great tone stinger.

Also how do these devices balance? Because say I want to slap and pop and the play finger style for the chorus, will I just have to sacrifice volume for the chorus?

Get a compressor?

The M-Audio/Pro Tools, when I used it, was literally just like a little mixing thing (the actual M-Box). You could probably apply some sort of compressor in program, but it would most likely be best to just have a switch to activate when you're recording or whatever. I don't know, this probably wasn't the best post.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by sonsie

They balance fairly well, but if you're having problems you can always just use whatever recording software you're using to fix it.

I thought I'd show you guys this...every song on the page was recorded with only a Line 6 POD Studio UX1, a small mixer for the drums, and a few mics. All instruments, vocals and drums included, went through it, and the effects/distortion came from Pod Farm.

http://www.myspace.com/excessum696
Nope, no sig here.
thanks for that Mutant I'll have a listen. I cant seem to find any stores selling Line 6 POD Studio UX1 anywhere Boy Australia is hopeless. I'll go have a look on Saturday for some prices on equipment

Thanks for your help guys
Originally Posted by smb

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Cheap solution (works for me) - put the camcorder ON TOP of the amp. Run the backgrond music at a level, that it can be heard, and vualia - no hassle with buying crap. But if you want really good audio quality, buy a Line6 Tone port