So yea i've tried the searchbar and nothing that helped me.

Well I could play most of my stuff standing when its like above the 12th fret but after going downwards its like my wrist just starts twisting n all. Could play a few stuff abit lower than the 12th fret but fast solo leads n stuff is just impossible for me right now. Wanna know if theres any tips or anything except for make the strap higher first then keep going lower. Unless thats the only way. Right now im trying to play with the strap a lil bit below my waist and yes the neck is around 45 degrees. Its just difficult for me to play stuff under the 12th fret while standing. I just kinda started to play standing up a while ago and solos are my main problem right now.
I always put the guitar sort of next to me when I play down there so my hip isn't in the way of my wrist if that's your problem??
No wonder you're having difficulty doing it when you're straps below your waist and you're not far off starting out!

Bring that guitar up above your waist slightly to start, and spend time getting your hand comfy there, then work down.

Everyone would rather see someone play well with a raised guitar than playing like ****e with a guitar that hangs like a granny's tits below your waist.
Quote by necrosis1193
Somewhere in a concert hall in Sweden, you have just caused Yngwie Malmsteen physical pain. You also caused him to catch on fire.

Quote by frusciante.ve
I like that new song of theirs that goes all "peeeeeaaaas wiiiill comeeeeee toooo meeeee"

Just because you Seymour Duncan, doesn't mean you Seymour Dunshould
yeah, you gota bring it up higher....and angle your guitar neck towards the ceiling for those crazy stretches...
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by MacMan2001
No wonder you're having difficulty doing it when you're straps below your waist and you're not far off starting out!

Bring that guitar up above your waist slightly to start, and spend time getting your hand comfy there, then work down.

Everyone would rather see someone play well with a raised guitar than playing like ****e with a guitar that hangs like a granny's tits below your waist.

This is right...

Just suck it up and raise the guitar higher.
Practice Practice Practice
Lower it a little
Practice Practice Practice
Lower it a little
etc...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Oh right another question. Right now im using my playin with my C1 standing up and ill be getting a ESP Alexi soon, so would standing up with a C1 (or strat shaped guitar or wtv) be different from a V?
Standing should be relatively the same, maybe a little different but not much, it's sitting with the V that might piss you off.
I could barely play any shred stuff on the 6th, 5th, and 4th string unless the strap is ridiculously high. 4th string is kinda ok but the 5th n 6th is just out of bounds if i go any lower.
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
I could barely play any shred stuff on the 6th, 5th, and 4th string unless the strap is ridiculously high. 4th string is kinda ok but the 5th n 6th is just out of bounds if i go any lower.

Then suck it up and put the strap rediculously high...

This is what it boils down to..

Would you rather play good or look cool?? At this point you apparently can't have both..

After you practice and get good playing with the strap that high, then lower it a LITTLE bit. then after you practice and get good at that height, lower it a LITTLE bit more...etc...

It will take time, not overnight.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL

raise your strap then
If video games make you violent, does monopoly make you a millionaire?
Speaking of which i think ima find a teacher then let him correct sum stuff that I'm doing wrong. I've been learning by myself for a year n a half or so. It's just that I could play find sittin (I place my guitar on my left leg most of the time while playing cuz of the easy access towards the lower frets, sometimes i just place it on my right leg normally. Thats one of the reason I'm changing to a V anyways, and no i dun find it THAT difficult sittin down on a V) so different from standing (everything under the 12th fret... riffs are find wen i stand up unless they're lower down on the neck).
Quote by jonmo1
Then suck it up and put the strap rediculously high...

This is what it boils down to..

Would you rather play good or look cool?? At this point you apparently can't have both..

After you practice and get good playing with the strap that high, then lower it a LITTLE bit. then after you practice and get good at that height, lower it a LITTLE bit more...etc...

It will take time, not overnight.

One of the problems I'm having here is probably cuz when I sit down I place my guitar on my left leg instead of right. I'm guessing thats a big part of it...

EDIT: heres an example of the shred stuff im talking about for the 6th string n stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGJVtLx8ZQo&feature=related
The main problem is when I lower the guitar abit below the waist my hand just doesnt seem to be in a position thats gonna b able to play stuff like that. I'm not even sure if you could anyways. So far I've never seen anyone play live with songs that has those kinda lick (i mean like on the 6th string n stuff). I know there are people who use this kind of lick while playing live but their strap is like at a high position not low.
Last edited by MeLodicDethMTL at Aug 10, 2009,
Strap up your guitar sit down with it like where you would be playing sitting, adjust the strap to where it has some tension but doesn't raise off the leg, there you go now your playing standing up and the guitar is in the same spot as if you were sitting.
When I started playing guitar, i couldn't hit crap when I was standing. Just put your guitar higher.
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free.
The law that conquers Heaven and Hell.
Heavy Metal can't be beaten by any Dynasty.
We're all wizards fighting with our spells!
Quote by DimeLvR
Strap up your guitar sit down with it like where you would be playing sitting, adjust the strap to where it has some tension but doesn't raise off the leg, there you go now your playing standing up and the guitar is in the same spot as if you were sitting.

Was bout to try that but one problem. When I play I place my guitar on my left leg. So if i do that its just gonna swing to the right and well... its not gonna b like when I sit. I might just start playing placing it normally on my right leg. Playin on the left is just easier for me (in terms of lower fret access)
When i play my strat shaped guitars i put the bottom curve on my left leg and the tail rests on my right kinda like playing my V. to get lower fret access just raise the headstock til your comfortable some people go as far as 90 degrees like Alexi for example.
Last edited by DimeLvR at Aug 10, 2009,
Tom Morello, Buddy Holly and Albert Hammond Jr all look very cool with their guitars exceptionally high...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
^^ Not forgetting John Petrucci...haha.....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
listen.

your problem is that your strap is too low.

the solution is to raise your strap and lower it gradually.

don't ask for advice and then ignore it.

not to mention that a V will likely be more neck heavy than a strat shaped guitar so if anything it's going to be worse.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
listen.

your problem is that your strap is too low.

the solution is to raise your strap and lower it gradually.

don't ask for advice and then ignore it.

not to mention that a V will likely be more neck heavy than a strat shaped guitar so if anything it's going to be worse.

Im currently am gradually lower my strap (raised it up). I'm try to get used to playing leads first then keep lowering it. When I lowered it some positions doesn't look like its playable so maybe might find a teacher n see wats the correct way to do it. Well I'm kinda interested in neo classical so a teacher would be quite good (oso need learn theory)
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Im currently am gradually lower my strap (raised it up). I'm try to get used to playing leads first then keep lowering it. When I lowered it some positions doesn't look like its playable so maybe might find a teacher n see wats the correct way to do it. Well I'm kinda interested in neo classical so a teacher would be quite good (oso need learn theory)

It's going to take time - alot of time...won't happen overnight.

If you just raised the strap yesterday, you're not ready to start lowering it yet.
Keep it that way for a while, like at least a week or so.
Get used to it.

THEN lower it a little.
Keep it there for a while till you get used to it. At least a week or so..

etc...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
It's going to take time - alot of time...won't happen overnight.

If you just raised the strap yesterday, you're not ready to start lowering it yet.
Keep it that way for a while, like at least a week or so.
Get used to it.

THEN lower it a little.
Keep it there for a while till you get used to it. At least a week or so..

etc...

Right now im trying to find the lowest point i could still play. If theres some trouble then ill raise it up abit. then check, if not then try again.
damn, ive never seen anyone complicating this problem so much as you. I dont understand why its taking you so much time to find the lowest spot, since its actually pretty easy:
1. Try playing
2. Raise strap if you cant play
3. When you can play LEAVE STRAP THERE.
There you go, the whole proces should take like 10 minutes.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.