So if I have a 100 watt amp I will need what rating of attenuator? I know you also have to mach the ohms but do I need to go with like a 150 watt or 200 watt? apparently you have to have a higher rating than your amp kicks out as it can supply an extra 50 watts?

Like I say im confused
Talking about fapping to films!!
Originally posted by Vader, Darth
Jabba did this one time when we were watching Gremlins...

It found it...disturbing.

Gearidge:
Laney AOR 50 Head
Laney Cab
BC Rich Mockingbird
Line 6 Spider 3
you dont necessarily have to have one thats twice the power rating of your amp, its just recommended. Im not really sure why or what it could cause. Weber's website says to use one that is rated at LEAST at the same power rating as your amp, although twice the power is recommended. you should be fine with the 150w Weber Mass if you dont have the money for the 200w version.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
The ONLY way that your amp will dissipate 150W (if its a 100W amp) is if the volume is cranked, even then, thats also the only way to make it dissipate 100W.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
tube amps are rated at their clean power output before clipping. If you are pushing an amp into power tube saturation, it can definitely spike to well over what it's rated at clean.

That said, I use a 150W Weber with my 100W amps, but I'm not trying to get full on power tube saturation. I use it to hit the sweet spot where the power section begins to color the tone a bit, thicken it up, and then bring down the volume at that point. If you are diming a tube amp for power tube distortion, you can definitely go over the rated output.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I'd go with 200 depending on the amp. Not all amps have the same peak power output, but I've played a few amps rated at 100 watts that have been able to put out twice as much running full tilt.
thnaks a lot guys i think il be ok with a 150 watt weber as thats what i was gonna go for anyway.
Talking about fapping to films!!
Originally posted by Vader, Darth
Jabba did this one time when we were watching Gremlins...

It found it...disturbing.

Gearidge:
Laney AOR 50 Head
Laney Cab
BC Rich Mockingbird
Line 6 Spider 3
Quote by Brendan.Clace
The ONLY way that your amp will dissipate 150W (if its a 100W amp) is if the volume is cranked, even then, thats also the only way to make it dissipate 100W.

This is not correct. Wattage is usually calculated at 1% THD, which means that on an amp like a Superlead you'll hit 100 watts at around 4 on the volume knob. Old "100W" plexis will routinely clock in at 180 watts full bore.

That said, 50% wattage is plenty for an attenuator, they're rated a bit conservatively as well. The 150 can probably handle 200.
Quote by Roc8995
This is not correct. Wattage is usually calculated at 1% THD, which means that on an amp like a Superlead you'll hit 100 watts at around 4 on the volume knob. Old "100W" plexis will routinely clock in at 180 watts full bore.

That said, 50% wattage is plenty for an attenuator, they're rated a bit conservatively as well. The 150 can probably handle 200.

I am surprised by that. Thanks Roc. I was under the understanding that I listed.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.