Hi guys, i have a question for guitar players, see my friend is a guitar player, hes right here changing his strings lol.
well what happens is he breaks alot of strings, like in 3 days broke 3 strings.
He playes alot during the day, he uses alot of triplets, we play deathcore/metalcore
genre of music.
what i want to know is, is this normal? i mean breaking alot of strings?

best regards
if the strings are breaking at the saddle, then there are sharp edges at the saddles. and they need to be changed or filed and lubed.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
How long had he playing?

Newer players break a lot of strings.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I don't think it should happen that frequently. I only need to change mine every so often, when they go manky and greasy. Maybe it's the guitar, but it could be playing to hard. Try to play a little more softly (not too softly, obviously :P), and if it still keeps happening, check the guitar.
Could be his guitar, could be him. But yea thats really excessive. Im hard on strings but still get em to last several weeks before breaking 1. Could be as simple as he needs to use a different brand. Elixers broke like this for me where everyday 1 would break. Fender brand broke for me pretty easy.
he playes for some years now.
the strings are adario? adagio? something like that, standart gauge. i think..
about the guitar, it sucks its a beginners guitar.
guess we will have to live with this till he buys a new one lol.
guess we will have to live with this till he buys a new one lol.

No, shouldn't have to live with that, even on a crappy guitar.

Your friend should look at the saddles on the bridge saddles. They probably have some rough spots or Grooves in them causing the strings to break.
They can be lighly filed or sanded down.

You can also replace the saddles with Graphtech Graphite Saddles. google it...

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Yeah, that's kinda weird... I've never actually broken a string by playing on it before.
As said before, check the saddles of the guitar. If that isn't it, maybe your friend might need to tone down his picking strength a little.
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
Like others have said its either the hardware or its picking too hard, I play heavy music opeth, maiden, megadeth, COB exc, exc I play every day for a couple hours and haven't broken a string in over 5 years.
You don't want to tune your guitar UP alot at one time, or the Strings will snap. If you are playing Deathcore, Tune his guitar to Drop C. That tuning is really good for Deathcore.
Heavy Metal is the law that keeps us all united free.
The law that conquers Heaven and Hell.
Heavy Metal can't be beaten by any Dynasty.
We're all wizards fighting with our spells!
Where is he breaking the strings? If at the saddle, like Jenny mentioned, they can be filed, etc, to help take care of the problem.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
When I got my first guitar, they broke at the saddle a lot, so I had to file it down as has already been suggested.

However, as time has gone on, I've only broken a handful of strings. I've only broken one string in the last year, if I remember rightly...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay