I'm compiling a list of PC games from the 90's

The reason why I didn't bother posting this into the specified forum thread is I haven't had much luck at all referring to collective threads. (And I feel a bit doubtful of what any1 could provide in the Gaming thread (reason posted below) considering today's generation of games REALLY being the thing that everyone wants to discuss.)

So yes I'm looking for a list of PC games from the early 90's. My reason?

my father will be deploying soon, and he's also taking a small laptop with him (one that probably would not be able to smoothly run today's generation of games)

What I'm asking for are more suggestions of games to pack up, or install beforehand onto his laptop, or make copies for him for the deployment. BTW he's not a fan of fantasy/magic fireball stuff :P

*Preferably, NO console releases, or even emulators (unless it was for a pc game to hurdle past the OS issue) He has a very uncaring attitude for consoles in general and really, with the amount of movies and anime I'm placing on his HDD, I doubt he would even give them a go, given the choice between them and the PC games.

So far my lists compiles of...

-DOOM (ultimate+II+Final)
-Duke Nukem and Shadow Warrior
-Close Combat
-Commanche 3

**Simulators are a good choice. used to play one where you controlled a Ship/Barge and made shipments to several countries around the world. The graphics looked like a souped up atari system.. Or maybe it came from the Commodore generation... I can't rem XD

Games suggested already with my half-assed attempt at alphabetizing it. I gave up halfway. not even halfway.

age of empires
Civ games
Command and Conquer
Half Life (the first, 1998), Opposing Force
Wolfenstein
indiana jones and the fate of atlantis.
MechWarrior series
Jane's Combat Sims (ATF, Longbow).
XCom-UFO Defense
The Even More Incredible Machine (lol that's a game? thx -^_^P)
Dungeon Keeper
Deus Ex
Fallout 1 and 2
Tetris. And pac-man (agreed osxtiger :P)
Monkey Island
Day of the Tentacle
Dark Forces
Grim Fandango
Blade Runner
Pajama Sam
Quest for Glory 1-4.
Ultima 6 & 7. (doubt he'd care for it)
Dungeon Seige. (same with this)
Warcraft 3. (and this)
Neverwinter Nights (or this)
Diablo 2 ( AND I KNOW HE WOULDN't PLAY THIS XD)
Monkey Island 1- whatever
The Dig
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
Sims (City , the Sims, all the others XD) games
Starcraft
Sam and Max
Serious Sam
Spy Fox

Emulators for consoles (don't bother, since it's been suggested already)

Laptop specs.

I think it was around a 1 gig processor, maybe 1.5 - single core.
1g RAM
(this laptop is one of those small ones with a 10 inch screen, if that helps give you an idea)

The reason I figured I should include that, is because if you do know of any games past yr 2000, that can be run SMOOTHLY (NOT, and I repeat NOT just meet the minimum specs, I don't want it just barely meet minimum bar) then please feel free to list it, even if it is fantasy ,he may get bored enough to actually play it :P

Also please don't mention "These won't run on XP, or Vista, etc..."

I realize that...

That's what multiple OS's boots are for....at the very least, emulators.
Last edited by Night at Aug 10, 2009,
http://www.abandonia.com/

Introduced me to Civilisation II.
I also got SimAnt and SimTower from there.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Last edited by Simsimius at Aug 10, 2009,
Command and Conquer Red Alert 2
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
I heard of a thing you can download called project 64 where you can play old nintendo 64 games on all through your computer. You could try that?
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
What are you talking about? People in the gaming thread love talking about older games.

Anyway be sure to bring half life, all of the Wolfenstein 3d games, maybe you could run one of the Hearts of Iron games as they dont use to much resource I think.

Actually, **** that, download a PS1 and N64 emulator installed and get a hold of all the old Final Fantasys, Zelda, Marios, Metal Gear Solid, endless amount of games tbh
XCom-UFO Defense. It's kind of a tactical squad simulator: great fun.
Set up a PS1 emulator on his computer and you have a plethora of awesome games.

Thank your dad for me for the service he is doing our country.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Age of Empires, the MechWarrior series, any of those old Jane's Combat Sims (ATF, Longbow). Wow I'm surprised someone else has played Commanche. I STILL have my Commanche 2.0 CD lol.
We're only strays.
Quote by duggyrocks
What are you talking about? People in the gaming thread love talking about older games.

Anyway be sure to bring half life, all of the Wolfenstein 3d games, maybe you could run one of the Hearts of Iron games as they dont use to much resource I think.

Actually, **** that, download a PS1 and N64 emulator installed and get a hold of all the old Final Fantasys, Zelda, Marios, Metal Gear Solid, endless amount of games tbh

Hey , and no I don't mean to offend.

But I have had no luck concerning collective thread on the part of the Mod's efforts to cleaning up a forum.

Posts end up getting left in the dust, despite multiple posts.

Requests for lists normally don't go well (in my experience)

And the lack of answers is very unappealing.

This is something I've encountered on MANY forum sites that I frequent, not UG in particular.

Yes I could've gone to a gaming site..

But guess what... You're statement probably contradicted the majority of everyone to each and every single site that I joined with the same thought in mind. I tried. I'm just going on by past experience.
Spy Fox
Pajama Sam
Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
BTW I'm with the TS about the gaming thread. I've posted in there and my posts just get lost in the chatter.
We're only strays.
Quote by Night
Hey , and no I don't mean to offend.

But I have had no luck concerning collective thread on the part of the Mod's efforts to cleaning up a forum.

Posts end up getting left in the dust, despite multiple posts.

Requests for lists normally don't go well (in my experience)

And the lack of answers is very unappealing.

This is something I've encountered on MANY forum sites that I frequent, not UG in particular.

Yes I could've gone to a gaming site..

But guess what... You're statement probably contradicted the majority of everyone to each and every single site that I joined with the same thought in mind. I tried. I'm just going on by past experience.

The reason requests for lists dont go down well is because you could easily do the research yourself and make a list up yourself, especially one as specific as what you're asking.
Quest for Glory 1-4.
Ultima 6 & 7.
Dungeon Seige.
Warcraft 3.
Neverwinter Nights (possibly, may not run on those specs)
Diablo 2
Monkey Island 1- whatever
The Dig
Day of the Tentacle
Full Throttle
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
Serious Sam
Dark Forces

Not action games, but challanging and outrageously fun nonetheless:

Grim Fandango
Blade Runner
Monkey Island 1
Monkey Island 2
Gretsch G1169SP
Vox Cambridge '30 Reverb
BOSS EQ
Danelectro Octave Up/Distortion
Danelectro Octave Down
Crybaby Wah
Big Muff Pi (NYC)
^there's an emulator thing called SCUMM that you can get to run all the old Monkey Island games and other cool stuff like Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by duggyrocks
The reason requests for lists dont go down well is because you could easily do the research yourself and make a list up yourself, especially one as specific as what you're asking.

A good point

A majority of what I tried to look up turned over results, true (it's something I've done since the beginning of the year alongside posting these threads) There are a very large amount of games that I remember having seen him play in the past (as well seeing others play) that I've been unable to find (and yes, I asked no. He doesn't remember the names of those games). I've looked at a LOT of screenshots, and turned over quite a few sites in what I'm looking for. Some of the titles I have found, most of them I have not. But I am also going by I'd like to pool together it all, and also have other users place their input as well, tbh that is a point for a thread of itself.

yet this doesn't stop what I said from being true.

And thanks for your suggestion ^_^
Last edited by Night at Aug 10, 2009,
Far cry 2.

I kid of course.

Tetris. And pac-man. They don't need emulators as they have been made for PC countless times. Not to mention, they are ****ing fun!

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
How could I forget? Starcraft!
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Fallout 1 and 2, provided you know a good game you wont need any others
I second Deus Ex, I've played it through at least 10 times, and not done the same thing twice. It's properly awesome, and I used to run it on a Pentium 2, so it should be okay.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
Quote by Zero_Mike
XCom-UFO Defense. It's kind of a tactical squad simulator: great fun.
Set up a PS1 emulator on his computer and you have a plethora of awesome games.

Thank your dad for me for the service he is doing our country.

Thanks Mike, I will ^_^

tbh it's something both he and I have been looking forward to (the deployment that is)

Yes I realize it may be a it odd for family members to say, etc. But having grown up with him raising me as a single parent, all the while fighting through debt, these sort of things can be a bit of a relief. He's been in the service for a long time, and has been deployed many times, though majority prior to my being born. He's told me that they scratch that old itch of his, and since it's a good opportunity to pack a little more punch to that plastic crack debt and student loans of his.

I'm worried yeah, but not as much as I've been with his past deployments thats for sure XD

I mean if one of the things I have to worry the second most about is finding games and videos for him to watch, that's a good thing in my book X_X
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Age of Empires, the MechWarrior series, any of those old Jane's Combat Sims (ATF, Longbow). Wow I'm surprised someone else has played Commanche. I STILL have my Commanche 2.0 CD lol.

Lol I still play it from time to time, along with the others XD

I don't know if it's just a nostalgia kick doing it or what, but most of the games I still bother to play do it for me more than the latest X generation of games X_X

It's good to be blown away by graphics or innovated battle systems , what have you

But sometimes the others just get it right all the time XD least for me that is XD