So i'm looking for one or two things that are near-essential guitar gear that I don't have. At the moment, i have:
- An amplifier (VOX DA5)
- An electric guitar
- An acoustic guitar
- A metronome (from the 80's)

I like to play (covers of) acoustic songs, and some metal (specifically, power metal and epic metal), however metal is way above my level still. I enjoy writing music myself, and improvising on top of chords. I need a way to record my guitar with a clear sound. The VOX DA5 has a sound i'm satisfied with, but the only record gear that i have right now is a JamVOX and for some reason whenever i play my guitar through that thing the sustain is a lot less (however when i listen to what i recorded it already sounds a bit better, the speaker in the JamVOX is just not as good as the one in the VOX DA5), so i prefer playing through the vox amp. I have a Mac Mini as a computer, so that could be an issue when choosing recording gear.
But other than recording gear, what other would you guys say is "essential" guitar gear?
A pedal of some sort?
Delay maybe?
(Although for your styles, i think the amp's delay should do)

Line 6 toneport?
Pretty cheap and quite effective.

WTF is Epic metal?
Quote by unet
A pedal of some sort?
Delay maybe?
(Although for your styles, i think the amp's delay should do)

Nah, i don't really need delay right now. And the amp's delay is fine.

Line 6 toneport?
Pretty cheap and quite effective.

Really? Isn't Line 6 crappy? I mean, with all the warnings about Spider III amps here.. About the pedals, though.. I would quite like a really good distortion.

WTF is Epic metal?

Well, it is sort of an unofficial name for power metal, but i use it because I don't know what genre to call Rhapsody of Fire, which is my favourite band.
Last edited by robinlint at Aug 10, 2009,
Quote by unet

Line 6 toneport?

No. Those things are horrible in my experience for metal of any kind. They produce okay-ish cleans but the distortion is just thin and fizzy.

Get a chorus pedal. I can't live without my jazzy chorus
Quote by uncreativelolol
No. Those things are horrible in my experience for metal of any kind. They produce okay-ish cleans but the distortion is just thin and fizzy.

Thanks

Get a chorus pedal. I can't live without my jazzy chorus

My amp has a built-in chorus.
Quote by robinlint

My amp has a built-in chorus.

Mine does too.
I didn't like it.
Didn't like the distortion on my amp either.
First two pedals I bought were a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and CE-5 Chorus Ensemble.
I love my chorus.
get guitar rig mobile, pretty simple to use and its really good
GEAR
ESP LTD Alexi-200
Blackstar HT-5 Mini Halfstack
Squier Affinity Strat
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Line 6 Uber Metal
Vox hybrid amps have some pretty nice effects...think TS is set there.

I mean using the toneport as sort of an interface.

Or get a mixer.

Really, you have "essential" gear covered.

What is it that you'd like?
Quote by robinlint
Really? Isn't Line 6 crappy? I mean, with all the warnings about Spider III amps here..

Line 6 do some excellent amps. Vetta's, HD157 (Not the 150, that's a Spider), Flextone, etc.
Quote by unet
Vox hybrid amps have some pretty nice effects...think TS is set there.

I mean using the toneport as sort of an interface.

Or get a mixer.

Really, you have "essential" gear covered.

What is it that you'd like?

I'd like something to record what I play on guitar and maybe even what i sing along with it in an excellent sound quality (preferably with a repeat function, so i can record chord progresions and build melody lines on it), but that probably costs a lot more than 80 euros. So, if not that, then a device that provides a lot of different sounds in one.