I have had a guitar for about two years but been seriously practicing and playing since last September (When I got my electric which replaced my crap acoustic AKA shoe box with strings) So I was wondering, I pretty okay at guitar (I play mostly Metal/Thrash/Metalcore) but I'm not great and I also really like the sound of the bass and was wondering would the techniques I've learned for guitar make it easier for me to pick up Bass faster? Also what are some good Bass guitars for $200-$300? Last question; can I play bass through my (Soon to be bought) Vypyr 30?

Thanks for any help!
been there, done that,

I bought a drumkit instead, take lessons or the instrument wil only gather dus in a few months
Quote by kroket666
been there, done that,

I bought a drumkit instead, take lessons or the instrument wil only gather dus in a few months

Helpfull.

Knowing good fretting technique will help you learning bass, but you won't have much speed with your picking hand if you're going to use your fingers.

For that price look at squiers and ibanez basses, possibly a used fender.

No don't use a bass in your guitar amp it'll do damage to the speakers.
Quote by kroket666
been there, done that,

What a load of rubbish. I've been self taught for 7 years. The only time any of my instruments gather dust is when I leave it too long between cleans.
I haven't taken lessons for guitar and it's not collecting dust, I do take lessons for bagpipes but I still have time for guitar so I'm not worried about that.
I find that it's easier to play really fast guitar than really fast bass, but that's just my opinion. Some good basses in your price range are the Ibanez GSR200, Peavey Milestone, or a Squire Precision Bass.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Your fretting hand would take a few weeks to get used to the heavier strings ang further stretches, if you want to use your fingers then obvioulsy that'll take time to learn as I assume you haven't done it before. If you use a pick then you'll take a few weeks getting used to the extra distance between the strings. Other than that having learned your way around a guitar will help you on bass more than if you had no experience with either instrument lol. As for your amp, I wouldn't recommend using a bass with a guitar amp. It should work, but it will sound horrible (as guitar amps aren't designed to produce that much bass), I'm unsure if it'll do any damage but it wouldn't be worth finding out as you can get a small 15-30 watt "bedroom session" bass amp for next to nothing.
read the FAQ, it answers all of your questions ^-^, anyway i'm like you, ok guitarrist , begginer bassist

important, bass + guitar amp = very bad idea
Quote by bagpipemetal
I haven't taken lessons for guitar and it's not collecting dust, I do take lessons for bagpipes but I still have time for guitar so I'm not worried about that.

you play bagpipes? holy f**king s**t i love you
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Quote by simpleben09

I was thinking the same thing
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Deliriumbassist
What a load of rubbish. I've been self taught for 7 years. The only time any of my instruments gather dust is when I leave it too long between cleans.

i agree even though i only have been playing 3 months is literally became a part of my schedule since its the holidays right now and i dont start college for another 2 weeks i have been practicing about 3-5hours a day lol, and i forsee me doing this for a loong time may have to cut down to 2h or even 1h a day when college starts.

Also i have seen self taught bassists,drummers and guitarists who are actually far superior to people who have taken lessons and besides it helps you build a style you fell far more comfortable with quickly.Only ever took lessons to learn to tune by ear,some basic scales and i felt i was set and would learn the rest of these things in my own time even at that i was taught by my cousin who's been playing for 6 years.

I moved from bass to guitar and felt it was the best decision i ever made it fits me better as a person and as an instrument i have grasped it far quicker than a guitar.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by bagpipemetal
I have had a guitar for about two years but been seriously practicing and playing since last September (When I got my electric which replaced my crap acoustic AKA shoe box with strings) So I was wondering, I pretty okay at guitar (I play mostly Metal/Thrash/Metalcore) but I'm not great and I also really like the sound of the bass and was wondering would the techniques I've learned for guitar make it easier for me to pick up Bass faster? Also what are some good Bass guitars for $200-$300? Last question; can I play bass through my (Soon to be bought) Vypyr 30?

Thanks for any help!

I think you might have gotten confused with your thread title.

I think you mean you want to go from Guitar to Bass judging by the content of your post.

Don't worry I make many mistakes when I post!

Bass is much more fun than guitar. It's an opinion but my vocalist also has the same opinion. I can't say I know anybody else who plays bass and guitar.

NEVER play bass through a guitar amp.

People have good reviews about the Peavey Millenium AC BXP in that price range BUT make sure you get it personally inspected and setup as soon as it arrives. It isn't hard to find reviews of bad factory set ups and QC with Peavey basses but everyone seems to agree they are very versatile and are great value for money.

I think I'll be getting one myself or the Cirrus. On Payday (Thursday) I will decide

Good luck!
I collect clothes and IKEA furniture. Who are you?

I'm still learning, But I can play amazing grace pretty well.

Yeah Ryan I meant going from guitar to bass, whoops.

I've been looking around at bass and bass amplifiers and It'll probably be awhile since I'm limited on money and have to save for Bagpipes (You learn to play on a chanter it's kind of like a recorder on which you learn all the fingerings and I'll probably move to the full pipes in January, and they cost $1000+ so those are what I'm saving for.)

Thanks for all the help! maybe I'll sell my guitar and get a bass but I'll probably go to a music store and try some basses out sometime.
I say u should get a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass its really decent it kinda has a fender feel but i mean of course its not a fender but its a good begginner bass
and the only problem u would really have with switchin would be the picking speed
cuz if ur playing metal or thrash bass its really will take a wear and tear on ur fingers
but if u play with a pick(witch dosent have as nice of a tone) then u should be fine