Poll: Well, should we?
Poll Options
View poll results: Well, should we?
We should colonize other planets when possible.
171 86%
We should leave well enough alone.
27 14%
Voters: 198.
Page 1 of 4
I'm taking a college level astronomy class, and the topic of colonization came up after I lambasted a classmate for griping that humans are the bane of the Earth. So, what does the pit think about the preservation of humankind through planetary colonization?

Here is the original question and some of my responses:

Quote by Prof

Brad makes a valid point. We have a common misnomer in our everyday language when we say things like "we are destroying the planet". In reality the planet is just fine, it is the thin sliver of an ecosystem that is habitable by human beings that is being damaged. If the entire population of humans on this planet were to wipe themselves out, I do not think it would take long for the Earth to recover. The planet will be just fine, it's the people that are in trouble! Do you think that we should engage in human planetary colonization when we can't take care of this one?

Quote by Classmate

I am a firm believer in the fact that we shouldn't even consider trying to colonize another planet given how we care for our current one. Humans have inhabited this planet for several thousand years and even with our enhanced knowledge of what needs to be done...we continue to do nothing but cause more damage. We really have no business taking our bad habits to another planet. We don't work to better what we have now...what right would we have to spread our unkind behavior to yet another planet just for our own benefit?

Quote by Me

We have the right because we're the only species of life capable of enjoying, admiring, or even conceptualizing our existence. We could destroy every planet in the solar system and we would be the only ones who would care or truly suffer. If Mars exists uninhabited for its entire lifespan than it will have served no purpose whatsoever, because we're the only species who cares (or even realizes) that it exists, and we're the only lifeforms that can actually employ whatever resources it has to our own advancement.

Let me put it this way, if a planet on the other side of the universe is demolished, would anyone on Earth care? Not in the least, unless of course we experience some sort of repercussions. So, if we are the only entities in the universe, or even in observable space, who can conceptualize that we exists or that other planets exist...who's to care how many of them we destroy? The answer is no one other than ourselves.

We should when possible. I can imagine living on another planet. Just as long as it's not like in "pitch black" or that planet with the jetsons.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Man you people argue like pansies. Don't run before you can walk though. Work on Single Stage To Orbit (SSTO) vehicles and orbital manufactories, THEN think about setting up shop on other planets.
I didn't read any of the original responses, but the fact of the matter is, I'm unlikely to ever realise my ambition of ruling this planet with an iron fist, so I'm gonna have to go somewhere else to begin my reign of terror.
When it's inhabited by civilizations, no don't colonize, but if it's profitable and deserted, then yes
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Your classmate sounds like a bleeding heart moron. Is he a PETA supporter by any chance? If so, we can have him deported to another planet. Preferably one without oxygen.
Mind you, if we were to colonize another planet, we'd have to make sure we stay well away from the Space Jockey's ship.
That always ends badly.
Quote by Kensai
Your classmate sounds like a bleeding heart moron. Is he a PETA supporter by any chance? If so, we can have him deported to another planet. Preferably one without oxygen.

Unfortunately, I was the minority. This is only one of the three or four conversations in which everyone was spouting their anti-humanistic bullshit unfiltered, without my "logic" shitting on their parade.
At this point, I should ask where you had in mind? Clearly, colonizing Mars is not going to be the same as colonizing Jupiter by any standard of thought.
Woe, you were much nicer to your classmate than I would've been

All those people who are all "oh no! humans are parasites, they're ruining the world, they're killing it... I hate people" should do everyone a favour and shoot themselves so they can stop being part of the problem they despise so much. And they always refer to humans as "them" as if they're somehow not, or above, people. They whinge, yet still do nothing about it and still contribute to this problem.
I don't see a problem with colonizing other planets. Every species wishes to survive and will normally take whatever actions are necessary to ensure survival.
Quote by LordBishek
At this point, I should ask where you had in mind? Clearly, colonizing Mars is not going to be the same as colonizing Jupiter by any standard of thought.

I don't think you could colonize Jupiter. Gravity and atmospheric pressure on the actual 'surface' would be way too high from humans, assuming you could get down through the atmosphere.
We will have to colonize other planets in the next few hundred years for resources as earth won't last forever. Though before that we will need to control energy and be able to use it properly on earth.
I think stopping ourselves from exploring the solar system is limiting us greatly and will stop our civillisation from advancing.
Hyperspace by Michio Kaku has a great chapter on this whole subject and about types of civilisations, it's a bit too late for you to read it though

Quote by Spoonman69
Rap is music,far better than metal for example. id much rather hear about hoes and anal sex than dragons and supressed homosexuality.
Quote by daytripper75
I don't see a problem with colonizing other planets. Every species wishes to survive and will normally take whatever actions are necessary to ensure survival.

The Europeans did that in the 16th century; look what happened
Washburn Idol WI64
Roland Microcube

Quote by jimmy_neutron
Its still hair, you know.
Quote by radomu
The Europeans did that in the 16th century; look what happened

But they didn't necessarily do it for survival. A lot of that was simply out of economic greed.

But if we would colonize an uninhabited planet I don't see a problem. I don't think it would be right to colonize a planet with life already on it though. We would have no idea how intelligent the life we found was, and it would be wrong to take control of a planet such as that.
Quote by denizenz
Unfortunately, I was the minority. This is only one of the three or four conversations in which everyone was spouting their anti-humanistic bullshit unfiltered, without my "logic" shitting on their parade.

I feel for you, man. I had a few of these types in my archaelogy class. Some anti-humanity feminists who couldn't listen to anything even remotely sexist (despite it happening 5000 years ago...) without protesting and, if possible, drawing parallels to modern times.

Luckily, for me, we had two older guys who were quite sexist and very extroverted. It entertained me alot hearing the older guys and the feminists getting worked up.
Quote by daytripper75

But they didn't necessarily do it for survival. A lot of that was simply out of economic greed.

But if we would colonize an uninhabited planet I don't see a problem. I don't think it would be right to colonize a planet with life already on it though.

Even if it weren't intelligent or conscious life? Surely you'd have no problem colonizing a planet inhabited by bacteria or other "animal" lifeforms...
Fuck environmentalist crap. If I'm not taking a shit on mars by 2030 I want whoever's responsible found and subject to forced euthenasia
I think if we can we should.

That being said, I think it will ever happen. The factors involved are just too major for us to work around.
Quote by maggot9779
I think if we can we should.

That being said, I think it will ever happen. The factors involved are just too major for us to work around.

What do you mean? We just need some more major technological advances. Need some more Einsteins.
Guitars: Schecter Hellraiser C-1 , Gibson Gothic Explorer
Amp: Marshall Valvestate 2000 AVT 100w
I'm really not sure. One half of me says that we should just leave well enough alone. If we were meant to disappear, so be it. The other half of me says that we should find somewhere else to live if necessary. The only way that could happen is if we had the technology to fully habitate another planet. One hell of a question.....AAAAAAAAHHH!!!!
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
Not only should we, it's essential that we do. Because, y'know, eventually we're going to run out of stuff here. Not every resource can be renewable, and we'd better hope we can find some stuff elsewhere.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Sewn Up
I'm really not sure. One half of me says that we should just leave well enough alone. If we were meant to disappear, so be it. The other half of me says that we should find somewhere else to live if necessary. The only way that could happen is if we had the technology to fully habitate another planet. One hell of a question.....AAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

Nothing is meant to happen, we are the ones who control our existence, if we humans are destroyed when we could have done something about it we have only ourselves to blame.
I don't see why we can't just build our own. Death Star anyone? C'mon, someone's feeding all that money into NASA, you can't tell me this never crossed their mind at some point.
Quote by thewho65
I don't see why we can't just build our own. Death Star anyone?

I bags the throne room!
Quote by RedDemon502
What do you mean? We just need some more major technological advances. Need some more Einsteins.

I know, but I don't see that happening.
Where do you live? People really talk like that in your university? You were being more polite than a rich man in the 30's.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by urik
Where do you live? People really talk like that in your university? You were being more polite than a rich man in the 30's.

They were only polite to other rich men. To oiks, the rich could be quite brusque.
I think we should.

But before we do, we need to find a way to get to Mars. It's the next logical step in human evolution/colonisation, whatever you want to say about it.

If we could just put a man on Mars, or another planet (Well.. Since I think Venus is kinda out of the picture), it would inspire people across the world. It would inspire them to keep developing new technologies capable of looking after the Earth's resources, and later, to colonise other planets.
we need to.we wont be able to survive on this planet forever
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by urik

Well, it's an internet course so there is a message board for discussion. I know that I can get pretty carried away when I post here in the pit, so I always go out of my way to be polite in class.
Page 1 of 4