I plan on replacing a Ibanez RG4EXFM1 with Duncans but I need help deciding which one. I like the Hot Rodded and Distortion pickups. I play heavy metal so i would like pickups with a nice crunch but i don't want the sound to get too muddy. Which one should i get? Also what do you recommend for the middle pickup?
What is wrong with your tone now that you want to change, what is your budget, and what is your current amp?
I just want to change the stock pickups for something better and I'm a bit of a Duncan lover. The tone is alright but I just want to get something better it's a bit tough to explain. I don't plan on spending over 200 for pickups. Also i have a crappy Line 6.
Quote by Fardarkcrow
I just want to change the stock pickups for something better and I'm a bit of a Duncan lover. The tone is alright but I just want to get something better it's a bit tough to explain. I don't plan on spending over 200 for pickups. Also i have a crappy Line 6.

With your amp you probably won't notice much difference with a "better" pickup swap.
Quote by BobDetroit
With your amp you probably won't notice much difference with a "better" pickup swap.

You will notice a difference. You have to be severely tone deaf not to. don't listen to people who say this. I play out of my frontman with EMG's and it sounds freakin awesome compared to crappy pickups.

Duncan Distortion is my favorite passive pickup. It's got balls and stays really clean on the clean channel. I would just buy distortion in bridge and Jazz or 59 in neck. Those are better neck pickups IMO.

And new amp. The tone change may not be what you need. The tone WILL IMPROVE with a pickup change, but the amp will hinder what you need.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by apak
You will notice a difference. You have to be severely tone deaf not to. don't listen to people who say this. I play out of my frontman with EMG's and it sounds freakin awesome compared to crappy pickups.

Duncan Distortion is my favorite passive pickup. It's got balls and stays really clean on the clean channel. I would just buy distortion in bridge and Jazz or 59 in neck. Those are better neck pickups IMO.

And new amp. The tone change may not be what you need. The tone WILL IMPROVE with a pickup change, but the amp will hinder what you need.

Yeah after you use a crappy amp for a while you will notice any difference in tone. I can't go wrong with nice a clean sound. But does the Duncan Distortion stay clean while distorted?
Yes- i have one in the bridge position of my ibanez. It is a great lil pup that handles metal well. The leads sound good with it too, (when I solo with the bridge pup on that is)
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
^^^ with a pickup swap, you would never hear a clear difference with a moddeling amp. TS, the tone is in more of the amp in this case. i highly suggest saving a your money and buying a new(better) amp
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Last edited by randomhero93 at Aug 10, 2009,
yea- but maybe he doesnt have the money for a new amp- hes probably looking for a cheap little fix to hold him over until he buys a new amp...not all problems are solved via a new amp - at the end of the day a pickup swap does make a difference...just not as much as upgrading from a SS to a tube amp....but its a difference (and cheaper) nonetheless
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL