As the tittle suggests, i seem to have this problem that persists. I am learning over 1 year guitar on an accustic guitar. Once had a teacher in the first 3 mounths, but then i couldn't afford any longer to go, so i started studying on my own.

I am trying songs like smells like teen spirit, offpsring songs, actually any reasonably slow song, with power chords in it, and still fail to clean land them on. Are there any hints regarding how to learn them properly?

I would really need some help regarding this issue since it's tormenting me since my very start as a guitar player.
?
It's incredibly easy. Keep your thumb behind the neck, and use your first three fingers for the three strings.

Have you really been playing for a year?
Quote by that_1_dude24
?
It's incredibly easy. Keep your thumb behind the neck, and use your first three fingers for the three strings.

I find it more comfortable to use my first, third, and fourth fingers. It's a lot less of a stretch, and you can strengthen your pinky while you're at it.
Quote by that_1_dude24
?

I've always played power chords with my index, ring, and pinky (or, alternately, I simply barre the two adjacent strings).
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
This is so depressing
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by Karvid
I've always played power chords with my index, ring, and pinky (or, alternately, I simply barre the two adjacent strings).

This.
- ---------
-- --------
--- -------
---- ------
----- -----
------ ----
------- ---
-------- --
--------- -
Go to the right forum on this website, please. Musician Talk, perhaps.

Practice makes perfect.
Reported.
Quote by FlyingPirahna
I find it more comfortable to use my first, third, and fourth fingers. It's a lot less of a stretch, and you can strengthen your pinky while you're at it.

This is what i do too
"Most people are trying to simplify the world. We're definitely here to complicate it." - Dad
Quote by RocksAwakening5
I you for posting this.

<-- Pretty much sums me up

8/7/09

^ I was there
You should be practicing regular barre chords at first, so you can acquire some hand strength. Once you have barre chords mastered, power chords will seem relatively easy.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile