Page 1 of 2
This is going to be my High School graduation project. I made a thread about it last fall with a few questions. I submitted the proposal to my school, and they took about six months to approve it.

The SG is basically going to be Gibson specs:
24.75 Scale
490r & 498t pickups
T-O-M bridge
Etc.

Rough-sawn Honduran Mahogany:

Cut up:

Templates:

Gluing body blank:

Some hardware:

What I have so far (those are tuners in the bag)

This week I'm planning on planing the body then cutting out.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Mesa Boogie Rect-O-Verb Combo
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
That mohog looks sexy man, Congrats. Also, good thing you went with the bigger SG pickguard, looks much better IMO.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
wow looking good,

where did you get them templates from or did you make them yourselves as they look great?

more info also, do you know what finish your planning on yet etc...?
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Quote by gtanny
wow looking good,

where did you get them templates from or did you make them yourselves as they look great?

more info also, do you know what finish your planning on yet etc...?

I got the SG template along with 3 others (Les paul, Jackson something, and a Gibson Thunderbird bass) from www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com

I'm going to paint it the classic SG red. I got Stewmac's finishing book which is really great.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
eh. I think red is overdone on SG's. Why not like a darkish blue?

Wood looks pretty nice.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
yeah i agree with apak, it would be cool if you made it a color not seen too often on an sg.
I disagree. Cherry Red is iconic of the SG, and it looks pretty badass.

As for the build, hella interesting. I'll be keepin an eye on this.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Quote by RJackson
I disagree. Cherry Red is iconic of the SG, and it looks pretty badass.

As for the build, hella interesting. I'll be keepin an eye on this.

I mean, it is iconic, but it's unoriginal, and it's bland. Every other SG is red. The guitar you make should be special, and red it not.. I don't know. Do whatever you want. I think dark blue on an SG looks freakin awesome with chrome or gold hardware.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'd say do a silverburst, sunburst, or a cool green colour.

Red is classic, though, so good choice either way.

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to do the neck pocket.

The left one is how Gibson does it (I think) and the right one is how I'm thinking about doing it, where the width of the neck joint is the same as the fretboard. Is there a problem with doing it that way? If it doesn't make sense, I can try redoing the pic.

Edit: As for color I'm either going to go with SG red:

Or some sort of transparent black (that's Metalhead_28's pic)

Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Last edited by dlabooda at Aug 13, 2009,
id go with trans black for a change from the normal SG colour personally, but without a cap it wont be as good as the metalhead_28 example, no offence ment but just compared to that beautiful maple very few guitars can compare.
Proud owner of Paul Allander PRS styled - Shamray CS-1985
CS-1985 Pics
Jackson RR24 White with black bevels
Fill the grain with red then paint it black
Quote by brandooon
Buy both pickups. Rub icyhot on both of them. Sandwich your penis between them and walk to the nearest homeless shelter with your brand new icyhot penis sandwich.
It might be a little difficult, but in my opinion its more than worth it:

My idea for your finish:

Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

With that nice grain, natural or amber finish would be luscious. I would go for true oil personally.
For neck joints, I like the narrow tenon because it makes the sides of the neck pocket thicker.
Quote by ShoeFactory
anything flame maple

i love flamed maple.

But sadly, I can't afford flame maple

I'm just not sure how a transparent finish is going to look on the piece of wood I have. They're usually for a guitar with a figured top.

Does anyone have any advice about the neck pocket?
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Get a veneer. A good flamed maple veneer can be like $10
Quote by Shinozoku

Quote by Scowmoo
Seriously.

If you're still open to colors, I've yet to ever see a deep emerald SG. Think it'd look sexeh. But regardless of color, nice project.

This is a rough drawing of the end grain on my neck piece. I know it probably isn't ideal, but could I get away with skipping the scarf joint and doing this:

Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Alright so I got the fingerboard tapered:

Next is the inlay and binding. I've discovered that I don't really have a good way of routing out for the inlays so I think I might save them for a Les Paul build or something. Instead I'm thinking of going with side dot inlays. Something like this:

What do you think? Also, could someone help me with my question in the previous post?
-Dlabooda
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by Locked_Deadbolt
Personally, I don't think SG's look right with dots.

+1.

But good for you man, I haven't ever seen an SG build.
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
there's nothing cooler than a white SG. but that things going to look awesome whatever color it ends up. very nice!

and i think the scarf joint is important for stability purposes, but i could be completely off...
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
Quote by dlabooda

This is a rough drawing of the end grain on my neck piece. I know it probably isn't ideal, but could I get away with skipping the scarf joint and doing this

Thats rift sawn, its pretty much the worst you can get.

I would recommend you cut your neck blank in half and flip one peice by 90 degrees so the end grains face away from each other, like so...

and preferably put a middle peice of quarter sawn wood in for extra stability.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by LifeIsABullet16
there's nothing cooler than a white SG. but that things going to look awesome whatever color it ends up. very nice!

+1

and also, I think an SG doesn't look right with dots.
Mah Gear:
Ibanez RGR420EX
Peavey 6505+ 112 Combo
Yamaha F-310
Kustom Arrow 16DFX
Quote by blindsagacity
That mohog looks sexy man, Congrats. Also, good thing you went with the bigger SG pickguard, looks much better IMO.

+1, it looks much more appropriate on the SG than the little one (looks waaay too much like an LP pickguard... it just doesn't fit on that guitar >.<
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Do the narrow tenon for sure... Just look at your own sketch- the wide one will have very small glue surfaces which I wouldn't trust. The narrow one has plenty of surface area to grip.
I know it's been a long time since I've had an update, but school has been really hectic.

I got the fretboard inlays routed out. They're not the best but it was pretty much the first time I've used a router for anything major.

State of the art routing jig

I went a little wide on some of the bottom inlays. Will the epoxy fill in all of that?

I guess the next step is to glue in the inlays, then glue on the binding. I've heard of people melting extra chunks of binding in something and using that as glue. Will that work better? What do I melt/dissolve them in?

-David
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Epoxy and maybe some wood dust is what I've seen. It looks great so far.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

I think a purple SG would be sexy. I want a purple Tele one day.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Alright, it's been a long time since I posted any progress pics but I kind of took the last few months off to work on my latest project, a 1970 Chevelle:

However, for some reason my high school wants our senior graduation projects to be turned in by the middle of junior year so now I'm motivated to finish the SG.

Inlay and binding glued in

Working on the neck

Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
working on the neck cont.

Body planed to thickness

Rough cut with jigsaw

Mocking it up

Routing pickup cavities and shaping body

Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
oops

routing neck pocket

At this point the neck is glued in and I am working on the transition

Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Another mockup (plus my feet )

So now I'm at the point where I have to sand the body to get rid of the dents and other imperfections.

Also, I have to rout out the control cavity. Does anybody know how thick the surface should be where the controls are mounted?

~David
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
some dents will come out with a towel and iron. To find out, get your pots, put on the knobs, and see how far the bottom of the knob is from the pot. It'll probably turn out somwhere around 3/8" to 1/4", although depends on the shaft height of the pot.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
I used the old towel and iron trick and it worked great. I also got the control cavity routed out. I've been researching finish more and I have a few questions.
- How are the Colortone aerosol lacquer paints from Stewmac?
- It seems like some of the Gibson SGs have a rougher less glossy finish. Is this the result of no grain filler or a different type of paint?
- For those of you who have SGs, how are the edges without the bevels? Are the a sharp corner or rounded over? If so, how much?

Thanks
Quote by Invader Jim

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Marshall JMP-1

Amp Restoration

SG Build
Quote by dlabooda
It seems like some of the Gibson SGs have a rougher less glossy finish. Is this the result of no grain filler or a different type of paint?
You can buy satin lacquer, or you can just not sand the gloss lacquer to gloss levels, either works.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Page 1 of 2