13 28%
fulltone ocd
11 24%
badmonkey
8 17%
other
6 13%
Voters: 46.
heres is what I am looking for in an OD pedal, and i need some opinions.

-tighten up the distortion of my 6505
-solo boost
-good tone on its own, essentially turning it into a 3rd channel in between my clean and lead, so i can have clean, slightly overdriven, distortion (cause my amp is 2 channel, and i like to play a lot of songs with 3 different clean/distorted tones.

if u pick other in the poll, please specify and defend it/post youtube links. im not really looking to go over $150 used.

thanks all.

also if someone can, explain to me what exactly a keely mod does and how much it adds to the base value of a pedal.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Last edited by xxunder-takerxx at Aug 10, 2009,
i'd try out the maxon 808, that seems to be the standard pick for use with a 5150/6505. i've owned a ts9 and an sd-1 and i didn't like either with my 5150.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
For ODs, I'm going to have to say the OCD, just because its a better stand-alone pedal than the others.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
ocd is the best stand alone pedal on the list. its great for boosting too. The 808 adds a bit too much color to my tone.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
well i can answer the keeley mod thing. ive got a keeley modded ts-9. its modded to sound a bit more like the 808, adds some bass response (evens out the pedal) and has an extended gain range. so it has less gain when turned down, and then more gain when turned up. there are other mods he does, but thats the main one (mod plus). it runs about 160 new, so if you find a used one it should be easily under $150. i much prefer my modded ts than any of the stock ones ive tried. havent tried any vintage ones, but the mods keeley does really help the pedal go to the next level imo.

i like the ibanez/maxon 808 the best out of the ones you listed. the 9 is nice too, but i like the voicing/sound of the 808 better. i wouldnt even put the bad monkey on the same level as the other things youve got listed, its a nice budget pedal but if you can spend the extra money to get the ibanez or maxon version i would.

though the other option would be to maybe get like a ts-9 and a bad monkey. set one up as the boost and the other as a stand alone overdrive. with $150 and getting at least one used, you should have the funds to do that. just an extra idea.
thanks for the responses guys.

i do really love the ocd. my friend had one and i played with it for a while, amazing. i just wasnt sure how it be as a boost or to tighten up the already driven tubes (which will be the main use of the pedal i get).

so far its looking like a tossup between the 808 and ocd. any other suggestions out there?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
I voted OCD for clean boost. However, the Maxon 808 is kickass for solo boosting, so it was a very close race to see which I'd vote for.

I avoid the choice entirely and just use both in my rig.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
I have a Barber Burn Unit, which is basically a two-channel overdrive pedal. If you crank the "burn" up to 10 it gets into distortion territory but 0-7 really does the overdrive/boost/tight response thing well. I never turn mine off, I use the first channel to set my baseline tone and the second channel for a second gain stage. It is really a great OD pedal.
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
Quote by Bosswagon
I have a Barber Burn Unit, which is basically a two-channel overdrive pedal. If you crank the "burn" up to 10 it gets into distortion territory but 0-7 really does the overdrive/boost/tight response thing well. I never turn mine off, I use the first channel to set my baseline tone and the second channel for a second gain stage. It is really a great OD pedal.

thats a really cool pedal. the 2 channel thing would really help me out cause then i can use it as a tightener and boost without having to mess with it mid song or something. its a bit out of my price range, but if i see it cheap i will def consider it. thanks!
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I voted OCD for clean boost. However, the Maxon 808 is kickass for solo boosting, so it was a very close race to see which I'd vote for.

I avoid the choice entirely and just use both in my rig.

im in the same boat. My ocd is a nice colorless clean, or gain boost. While my ts9 adds some mids/color/ and gain. What i sometimes do is drive my clean channel with the OCD, and color it with the ts-9 to get a nice sound
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I love my OCD as a Drive, Boost or Stand alone Pedal. But I'll Never give up my Keeley SD-1 5star GE the cleanest boost i've ever used!
how is the OCD for tightening up fizzy tube drive? thats my main concern with these pedals.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
How Fizzy........and if were talkin about the 6505 and Fizzy i'd be lookin at tubes.
Quote by mmjohn
How Fizzy........and if were talkin about the 6505 and Fizzy i'd be lookin at tubes.

i like the sound it has stock, but sometimes i wana change it up and make it a little tighter sounding, which is y im looking into an OD pedals. and i know some pedals just dont sound right with some amps, specially OD on top of the amp distortion.

edit: i see making a poll was completely pointless....the score is 4-4-4-4....
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
The OCD is a great boost, but I've never used to to tighten an amp up. The Maxon OD808 would probably be better for that.
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
thats a really cool pedal. the 2 channel thing would really help me out cause then i can use it as a tightener and boost without having to mess with it mid song or something. its a bit out of my price range, but if i see it cheap i will def consider it. thanks!

i got mine for 130, so they do pop up cheaply from time to time
1972 Fender Mustang
2000 Godin SD
Ampeg J20 Jet
Valveking 212
Barber Burn Unit
MXR Smart Gate
BYOC E.S.V. Fuzz
BYOC 10 Band EQ
Quote by Mitchell?
The OCD is a great boost, but I've never used to to tighten an amp up. The Maxon OD808 would probably be better for that.

????How your you GIVING advice if you never used it...........
The best OD I ever used for tightening up a metal tube amp was a Keeley modded Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive. It was incredible for the purpose, and I wish I never sold it...I'm currently running a gearmanndude Luther Drive, which sounds better than the Sparkle as an OD, but lacks the punch for tightening that the Sparkle had.
Quote by mmjohn
????How your you GIVING advice if you never used it...........

I own it.
Quote by Mitchell?
I own it.

AND AGAIN how do give advive on something you've never used?? Probly is a Guess not advice.
i dunno, but ive always thought that knowing the characteristics of something would help you to know what it is good for. i might try two overdrives as solo boosts, but then if i know one has more of a midrange hump and certain type of sound i could probably deduce that it would be better suited towards tightening up an american voiced amp (like most metal amps are). if youve played a certain piece of gear (especially if you own it and use it a lot) you can tell what it is good at, what it is suited towards even if you havent tried exactly that. thats the way i see it anyway.
The OCD would not tighten up at all. It would just add extra gain, as it is a very transparent overdrive, that does nothing but add harmonic content. IMO the OCD is verry overrated fizzy treble, too much bass. For what you want, i'd definitely say the maxon 808 would be the best choice, as a standalone OD i would recommend a lovepedal E6 Eternity.
Gearz:
Squier classic vibe 50's strat, modded.
Dunlop 535q
Korg Pitchblack
Carvin X100B

Coming soon to a pedal board near you:
Analogman Sunface
Lovepedal E6
Area 51 wah
Skreddy Lunar Module
Malekko 616 Ekko
I like the Radial tonebone (classic or british depending on your taste) for this... more control than OCD or ts-types.