I've been looking into programs such as Drumkit From Hell, Superior Drummer and BFD 2 and I kinda need some words of advice. Could some one tell me how they work, like are they drum samples already recorded or do I need a midi controller to actually play them myself?
ahhh id check your other thread as i posted in it. just for future reference dont create 2 threads. i suggest no further posting as a mod will prob close this.
Well, I know that SD and DFH are basically samples, but there are multiple samples of each drum, with varying dynamics and such so it sounds more realistic. Not totally realistic, but better than using one sample per drum. You don't need a controller for the MIDI, you can hook them up to controllers, but you can just program them.

Out of that, if you can, go for Superior Drummer, it's by far the best there. I haven't got around to buying it for myself yet, I still use DFH for home recording. Although I have toyed with it in the studio at school (With an Alesis electric drum-kit thing as a controller), and I have got great results with it.

EDIT - You would need EZDrummer to run DFH, it's an expansion. It might run with SD aswell, not sure.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Last edited by Carl6661 at Aug 10, 2009,
Drumkit From Hell does work with Superior Drummer, however I would avoid them as they are over priced and use extremely overproccessed samples that don't go well with a lot of recordings (and can't be individually tweaked outside of of SDs limited sound tweaking options)

and yes you will want a MIDI controller, it's not 100% necessary but you'd be losing out on a lot of the software's potential a.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Drumkit From Hell does work with Superior Drummer, however I would avoid them as they are over priced and use extremely overproccessed samples that don't go well with a lot of recordings (and can't be individually tweaked outside of of SDs limited sound tweaking options)

and yes you will want a MIDI controller, it's not 100% necessary but you'd be losing out on a lot of the software's potential a.

kinda agree except that i dont think the drum kit from hell is overpriced, its 70$ for a pretty decent metal kit. and when you use it right it's amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps-iFfTekho
thats the best programmed drums ive ever heard. yea im working on e-drum kit (one pad done) and its truly going to be sick.
I just think it's overpriced because TBH I wouldn't pay anything for samples with that much processing done to them, part of that probably comes from my background as an electronic musician but really I'm of the opinion that any samples that are made to be really versatile like that should have minimal at best processing and effects applied by the people producing the samples.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
I just think it's overpriced because TBH I wouldn't pay anything for samples with that much processing done to them, part of that probably comes from my background as an electronic musician but really I'm of the opinion that any samples that are made to be really versatile like that should have minimal at best processing and effects applied by the people producing the samples.

yea i know what your saying, however they're made to instantly sound good, for dare i say "idiot proofness."i like how the kit sounds and i wish it was a bit less processed but i think its pretty good considering. although the supeiror drummer effects dont work on them, im using a sneap kick and i want to use drum kit from hell to take care of the lowend and i couldnt, ah well. Im reall excited for metal foundry, 150$ for 35 GB of untouched sound, id say wed have to agree thats a damn good deal. anyways im off to the gym be back in around 2 hours, jsyk im not ignoring anyone.
Quote by drawnacrol
Do you have to install the 35GB to run the programme????

lol yea, thats why i bought a 750 gig external drive for all my music needs. i was gonna get 1 tb but 750 gigs is good. good drum software cost a lot of space. Superior drummer 25 gb metal foundry 35 gb lost studios part 2 is 12 gigs
72 gigs of just pure drum sounds. although now i need the cash to get all those expansions,mics, and software that i want.
Quote by drawnacrol
Do you have to install the 35GB to run the programme????

It says minimum 8gig (35 for full install) but it's usually best to install the whole thing because loading samples from the install disc is a pain in the ass. If you're going to deal with sample libraries and whatnot be prepared to sacrifice a lot of HD space. Im actually pretty shocked that people into recording and whatnot have less than 200 gigs dedicated to it, to me that's like bare minimum.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Aug 10, 2009,